+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking for insights on the in-person walk-in experience for OCI collection at the BLS Brampton location. Specifically, I'm curious if, with all OCI application documents in order, it's possible to opt for in-person collection instead of using a courier service.

I've heard mixed stories about BLS pushing 'value-added services,' and a friend even mentioned being charged for services they didn't use. Thankfully, my friend managed to get a refund after some back and forth.

Considering my wife is pregnant, I'm hoping to steer clear of any unnecessary complications during our visit. If anyone has recent experiences or advice to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
For collecting in person from Brampton both parents have to go. collection is between 3;00-4:30, go early atleast by an hour if possible to be early in the queue , no appointment is needed. Haan bhai ghoom phir ke aao iuske baad collect karlena

Weird rule but thats BLS,for you in nutshell
Hey Abbas, Is there a separate queue for collection? BLS are trying to sell courier services saying that in-person collection are by appointment only or it's the same queue as other walk-in applicants for surrender and oci collection.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking for insights on the in-person walk-in experience for OCI collection at the BLS Brampton location. Specifically, I'm curious if, with all OCI application documents in order, it's possible to opt for in-person collection instead of using a courier service.

I've heard mixed stories about BLS pushing 'value-added services,' and a friend even mentioned being charged for services they didn't use. Thankfully, my friend managed to get a refund after some back and forth.

Considering my wife is pregnant, I'm hoping to steer clear of any unnecessary complications during our visit. If anyone has recent experiences or advice to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Vancouver and Toronto location don't allow in-person collection. They by default sell courier. People who go for collection are the ones who already have paid for courier. Ottawa is the only one I know does not force courier. Both my SC and OCI, I collected without being forced for courier.

Reactions: rushi.gada

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
Vancouver and Toronto location don't allow in-person collection. They by default sell courier. People who go for collection are the ones who already have paid for courier. Ottawa is the only one I know does not force courier. Both my SC and OCI, I collected without being forced for courier.
Oh! shoots... so BLS Brampton is going to sell me courier services no matter what.. shame

Reactions: desmat

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hey Abbas, Is there a separate queue for collection? BLS are trying to sell courier services saying that in-person collection are by appointment only or it's the same queue as other walk-in applicants for surrender and oci collection.
Brampton Collection time is 3:00 - 4:30 pm between Mon-Fri only
If you are collecting for yourself and spouse one person can do that(the other person has to provide no objection letter along with receipt of payment).
But if you are collecting for minor, then both parents have to be there for collection (don't ask me why)

Toronto kaa drama hain they only up sell you on the courier

Reactions: desmat

smansuri97

Apr 9, 2018
App. Filed.......
16th august
Applied for minor via post jan 23 ottawa. Does anyone know how long does it take to get back original passport?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Update- you can submit Surrender Certificate without applying Canadian Passport of your fall under Vancouver Jurisdiction. You just need to submit a letter of declaration.

Reactions: forw.jane

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
I might be a bit late in replying. But I wanted to provide a bit of reassurance. I was one of those people who sent in a postal application to BLS Brampton. However, I did not consult this website. It would have saved me a lot of headaches. To answer your questions -
1. My spouse signed his passport copy and it was not questioned by BLS.
2. The place I live in.
3. I put one physical photo in the envelope.
4. I did not send either, because I was applying on the basis of self as root connection to India, not my spouse's.
5. This is the one question I actually experienced and went through a rollercoaster. I kept an eye on the BLS tracker and when it said there is one missing information, (I think I missed the part about saying "Yes" to previous citizenship being Indian or something like that), I emailed BLS postal department They promptly replied. They asked me to redo the whole application and upload the same set of documents in the OCI website. But I just had to email them a copy of the new application with corrections. The rollercoaster was however, that no one responded after that, and one fine Saturday, someone phoned me to give me the same information that I need to redo the application. I told them that it was in their email and that was that. Next business day BLS tracker updated to re sent the application to CGI.
I already got my OCI in hand, so the process does work, you don't have to go physically to reapply or correct mistakes.
Thank you for the detailed response. And it does give me a lot of assurance. I did think the same about point number 4 but read somewhere in this forum that application was returned due to missing copy of spouse passport. So I have sent it now. Hope that wont cause any issue. But your point number 5 does give some hope. Could you share the email address of BLS postal department in case needed by me or anyone in the forum? And by BLS tracker, you mean the 'Track Application' link on BLS website right?

Ananyamukh

May 30, 2019
Thank you for the detailed response. And it does give me a lot of assurance. I did think the same about point number 4 but read somewhere in this forum that application was returned due to missing copy of spouse passport. So I have sent it now. Hope that wont cause any issue. But your point number 5 does give some hope. Could you share the email address of BLS postal department in case needed by me or anyone in the forum? And by BLS tracker, you mean the 'Track Application' link on BLS website right?
Full disclosure, my spouse kept his Indian citizenship, I did include a copy of that and he attested that one. Sending extra things is not an issue, they just keep what they need and discard the rest.
The BLS postal application is a separate entity and their email ID is given in this forum before. But there is no harm in repeating that information - brampton.p@blsinternational.net
Yes, the BLS tracker is the track application link.....just a few pointers - they fill in weird information there until the application has been actually sent to CGI, then the right information like the right DOB and date of application will appear....that is the only place for checking application tracker for Toronto jurisdiction people, since it takes close to a month for the OCI official website to acknowledge the application.

Reactions: shivam.bansal88

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
If the OCI gets delivered in Canada while the person is in India on a Visa, is it necessary to exit the country and re-enter with the OCI or would it be sufficient to have someone simply send the OCI card over?