+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
Does anyone know if the applicant need to sign for the receipt of OCI? Or can an authorized rep do it? Looking to travel back to India with Visa after applying for OCI.

aghuman

Jul 18, 2018
Hey need help
I applied my oci on 21 oct and ack on 20Nov
My flight already booked on 26 dec
Do u guys think i will received it till by 26 dec
I already got e visa but no idea i will received it by thn or not

Dec 29, 2022
Wednesday afternoon they have an "open house" -- there is a process for registering for it, but showing up without confirmation works unless its too busy. (see here: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/open-house/). Other days you will have to call and get permission to pickup. That said its possible to just show up on other days too but you will have to somehow convince the security to let you in. Once inside, the staff is generally helpful and will let you pickup if the document is ready and not passed on to BLS. They cannot expedite OCI, so it has to be ready.
Decide based on when you get next update.

Alternatively, you still have time for making an evisa.
I tried to register but they did not send any confirmation email. Should I keep applying every week?

R A J 1369

Apr 8, 2014
By God's grace, my OCI has been processed :

Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn24-NOV-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn24-NOV-2023
Document received AtVANCOUVEROn24-NOV-2023
Congratulation my friend!

Sorry for the silly question, where do you track your status? Like it shows in a table format.

I track it on BLS website-> Track Application tab and I do not see the table format for my application status. I see application status as Processing at Consulate General.

Thank you.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Congratulation my friend!

Sorry for the silly question, where do you track your status? Like it shows in a table format.

I track it on BLS website-> Track Application tab and I do not see the table format for my application status. I see application status as Processing at Consulate General.

Thank you.
https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome -> Status Enquiry page

Reactions: R A J 1369

kellyCB

Feb 8, 2023
[Someone is hard at work trying to delete this thread. The old one was deleted for unknown reasons. So burying it here to make the information visible.]

Since we all share the misfortune of having to deal with scammy con-artists from BLS and the corrupt bureaucracy of our homeland, I want to set up a thread to document all the various "mistakes" in the application, photo etc. that BLS scammers use as a way of scamming us. A couple from Mumbai asked me to make a youtube video while we were at BLS toronto - I'll do that in due course but in the interim, here are a few that happened to me over separate occasions. Please add to the list so that others can be extra careful while filling out their applications:

Application:
  • "Mistake" - Postal / Zip code is before the province. It should be should be after the province name.
  • "Mistake" - Province name should be complete (eg. "ONTARIO") not short-form ("ON", "AB" etc). If you go with full-form, then they might just as well say - it should be short form not full-form. I print two separate applications versions now take them with me.
  • If the GOI application says a certain field is optional (like emergency contact number) and you choose not to fill in anything in that field, BLS may say that the field is not optional and you need to pay $40 or $60 of whatever to correct it on the spot or go back.
  • "Mistake": Why is there "no space" between canadian postal code. You should stand your ground on this.
  • "Mistake": zero looks like O and vice-versa.
  • "Mistake": Why is there no address for the emergency contact (even though it's a completely optional field). Stand your ground on this.
  • Make sure the passport issue city matches exactly as its written in your passport, do not add the country name on your own. - This one is a genuine requirement.

Excuses to make you re-do the photo:
  • Enough shoulders not visible in the photo (even though my photo had same amount of shoulders as in the example photo on the checklist).
    • In the next round - they rejected the photo that they themselves took and accepted the photo that they had rejected in the prior visit :D
  • Hair on the shoulder - always always carry multiple photos.

Redundant Service fees:
  • Service charge repeated multiple times with no explanation provided. Check your total and ask for the breakdown BEFORE you pay and stay firm on removing the redundant charges if the total doesn't make sense. Have a calculation in your head before you go to the counter.
  • They add some BS service charge to get a notification call or service call or something. - tell them you don't want that.
These are the ones that happened to me so far. Please add to the list if you've also been a victim of BLS scams.

Public service announcements:
  • India e-visa is now available for Canadian citizens. Spare yourselves the headache and apply online for e-visa online. 1yr visa is only US$40 (CAD 56) - 5 bucks less than BLS' purolator scam.
  • Please make sure you email the CG Toronto and MEA (and to PM Modi through Write to PMO office - they always respond) on all the scams that are going on and the poor service.
  • You should keep flagging the lack of appointments and people waiting for hours outside in freezing (and potentially fatal) weather because of the poor staffing, lack of proper waiting areas, bathroom, and corrupt business practices to MEA / CG as well as CBC marketplace. If we stay silent, they'll keep scamming us, our families and even our next generation.
  • Ask them to modernize their bureaucratic processes. If canada can run a whole immigration program from visas to citizenship end to end online, there's no reason why a country that produces so many coders can not. The only reason we are dealing with all this BS is because no one holds these incompetent con-artists to account.
Here's the video capturing all these scams in detail:

roy1947

Star Member
Oct 8, 2015
BLS is saying I cannot pick-up my spouse's OCI.
Both the applicants need to collect their own OCI.
Has anyone else faced this issue ? any solution ?

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, can we surrender Indian passport in India and use the surrender certificate from India to apply for OCI in Canada?

tetalks

Star Member
Sep 5, 2022
Hi. OCI applicant from Montreal. Processed on the 23rd and dispatched from MEA on 24th. However, I dont see any update in the Received in Ottawa field. Is it normal ? Does it usually take time ? Please advise. Thanks!