+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

karthikbhat

Sep 24, 2021
I applied by walk-in at BLS Surrey on 11 Oct and I still see status as "underprocess". How long does BLS take to send it to CGI Vancouver? I thought it would be done the next day.

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Where did you see this news?

I think once the acknowledgement date is received, most of the processing is done by MEA. Only after they send the OCI back to Vancouver consulate, the consulate gets involved in the process again. @abbas.pasha , @forw.jane , @eas2lv - can you please correct if this understanding is wrong?

Thanks.
That's not my understanding. Here is what I think which may be all totally wrong:
Almost everything happens locally -- application verification that leads to the ack is clearly the mission's responsibility. There is a mandatory post-ack wait for security objections (or lack of it) for a prescribed period, and then the local mission can issue OCI. The only thing that happens in India is the security checks which in vast majority of cases is a non-event in the sense that nothing turns up and no agency puts a hold on the application for most people. Large missions have ability to print the OCI, so I think nothing has to physically come from Delhi either unless they run out of blank booklets.

So all in all, local missions have a lot to do with the processing timelines but they cannot speed it up beyond a limit because of prescribed time to be given for certain phases.

niswe

Apr 5, 2017
That's not my understanding. Here is what I think which may be all totally wrong:
Almost everything happens locally -- application verification that leads to the ack is clearly the mission's responsibility. There is a mandatory post-ack wait for security objections (or lack of it) for a prescribed period, and then the local mission can issue OCI. The only thing that happens in India is the security checks which in vast majority of cases is a non-event in the sense that nothing turns up and no agency puts a hold on the application for most people. Large missions have ability to print the OCI, so I think nothing has to physically come from Delhi either unless they run out of blank booklets.

So all in all, local missions have a lot to do with the processing timelines but they cannot speed it up beyond a limit because of prescribed time to be given for certain phases.
Here is what my analysis and what I understand of OCI processing:

1. Online application by candidate
2. Physical application copy and other documents to BLS
3. From BLS to local Consulate
4. 1st level of assessment at local consulate which generates acknowledgment
5. Wait time of minimum 20 days or more for security check etc at MHA level
6. After min 20 or more days MHA approval
7. Local consulate print and stamp OCI and update online status
8. Send OCI to BLS
9. BLS to candidate

Dha9992

Oct 13, 2023
Also, can someone with a walk-in experience at BLS Brampton let me know what’s the best time to go so the waiting duration would be minimum? How long should I expect to wait approximately?
You have get there around 7pm to get chance for next day. Some people even reserve their spot at 5 pm.

steveD

Dec 4, 2012
Also, can someone with a walk-in experience at BLS Brampton let me know what’s the best time to go so the waiting duration would be minimum? How long should I expect to wait approximately?
I submitted walk-in application yesterday. You need to be in queue from 9pm a night before which gives you 80% chance of having your application submitted. I was standing from 9:30pm and I got my turn at 12pm. Remember, they stop taking applications after 1:30pm.

A day earlier, I went at 4am, waited til 1:30pm but did not get my turn.
Situation at Brampton BLS is worst than anywhere else.

easyrider13

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, what time did you go to the Brampton BLS and how long did you have to wait for the whole process?
I went this morning. I had a visa appointment for 9:30 which they still allowed me to use to submit my OCI. Took me 20 mins in total. There was a long walk-in line. Not recommended.

Reactions: steveD

easyrider13

Oct 26, 2017
So you did manage to get in with the visa appt., it seems.
No experience taking photo at BLS or letting them update the application. But should be fine as they do this in many cases. They may be updating it in their back office before passing on to the Consulate.
Yes, I was able to get in with my visa appointment. My name was on the list. And you are right, I went back to the BLS center and the lady confirmed they will upload it in their back-end before they send it out.

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Here is what my analysis and what I understand of OCI processing:

1. Online application by candidate
2. Physical application copy and other documents to BLS
3. From BLS to local Consulate
4. 1st level of assessment at local consulate which generates acknowledgment
5. Wait time of minimum 20 days or more for security check etc at MHA level
6. After min 20 or more days MHA approval
7. Local consulate print and stamp OCI and update online status
8. Send OCI to BLS
9. BLS to candidate
afaict, explicit MHA approval is only required for foreign spouses. For Indian-origin applicants MHA can object and put a hold, otherwise once the 20 day period passes the mission can approve. The wait period guideline used to be 20 days but no idea whether that has changed or not. Going by Toronto timeline it looks like it hasn't.

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
For walk-in try the Toronto (North York) location. As others have said, lines are too long in Brampton and chance of getting in is slim.

That said, unless your are in a real hurry, consider postal application. You may lose about a week for dispatch and BLS processing but otherwise its so much less painful if you take care in filling up the application and have all document copies and photo in order.

Reactions: kalebhushan

kalebhushan

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Mumbai IN
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-09-2018
Passport Req..
25-01-2019
I submitted walk-in application yesterday. You need to be in queue from 9pm a night before which gives you 80% chance of having your application submitted. I was standing from 9:30pm and I got my turn at 12pm. Remember, they stop taking applications after 1:30pm.

A day earlier, I went at 4am, waited til 1:30pm but did not get my turn.
Situation at Brampton BLS is worst than anywhere else.
Wow no kidding? Entire night at the BLS? I was under the impression that I could get there at 7am and still stand a chance. This is something.

Reactions: steveD

kalebhushan

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Mumbai IN
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-09-2018
Passport Req..
25-01-2019
For walk-in try the Toronto (North York) location. As others have said, lines are too long in Brampton and chance of getting in is slim.

That said, unless your are in a real hurry, consider postal application. You may lose about a week for dispatch and BLS processing but otherwise its so much less painful if you take care in filling up the application and have all document copies and photo in order.
So going to Toronto location at say 4am should be fine for a walk in?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

vrbo6778

Oct 13, 2023
OCI for minor

Hello, the OCI application checklist for my son lists the parents' registered marriage certificate. Does anyone know if the marriage certificate needs to be attested by the High Commission Ottawa?
Details to consider:
1. Our marriage took place and is registered in Quebec.
2. Our son is born in Quebec.
3. My wife is Canadian/US dual citizen but born in US.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, kindly share. Thank you!