+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

cmchetan

Oct 6, 2023
Question: How do you check the detailed status of the application, with all the different types of dates. For me, when I check the status at the BLS website it just says Processing at Consulate General

Retruitious

Star Member
Jan 10, 2018
Question: How do you check the detailed status of the application, with all the different types of dates. For me, when I check the status at the BLS website it just says Processing at Consulate General
Not very sure but from what I gathered from this thread (thanks a lot to very helpful members!) is that: it will keep showing No Records Found (till your file gets picked up for processing) when you track on OCI website directly. However this will get updated to Acknowledgement and subsequent statuses as your file gets picked up and undergoes further processing. BLS tracker not relevant in this context. Here's link to OCI tracker: https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury

Hope it helps!

Reactions: yaros

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
My understanding is that travelling within 3 months of acquiring another nationality is permitted and then we have to surrender and apply for exit permit to be able to leave India. What is not clear is the visa requirement once we surrender and if Canadians would be eligible if applied from India. There is a subtle hint though in the reply from frro that a visa may be required once you surrender.

".....any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application ......"
@PratikD Looks like exit permit comes with a 2 weeks window for you to leave India

ramanan1986

Oct 26, 2017
My understanding is that travelling within 3 months of acquiring another nationality is permitted and then we have to surrender and apply for exit permit to be able to leave India. What is not clear is the visa requirement once we surrender and if Canadians would be eligible if applied from India. There is a subtle hint though in the reply from frro that a visa may be required once you surrender.

".....any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application ......"
Hi Pratik - this information is super helpful.

My understanding is that after getting the Canadian Passport, we can travel to India on Indian Passport under the 3 month-grace period. During the stay in India, surrender your passport at your local RPO, get the surrender certificate, apply for exit permit through the online application and leave within the expiry date.

Is anyone inferring anything else?

Thanks,
Ramanan

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Pratik - this information is super helpful.

My understanding is that after getting the Canadian Passport, we can travel to India on Indian Passport under the 3 month-grace period. During the stay in India, surrender your passport at your local RPO, get the surrender certificate, apply for exit permit through the online application and leave within the expiry date.

Is anyone inferring anything else?

Thanks,
Ramanan
It's 3 months grace period after you get the Citizenship.. Not from the date you get Canadian Passport.

Reactions: ramanan1986

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Status on the BLS website shows - "Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping". Not sure what this means. Anyone know?

Hemusharma51

May 19, 2017
India
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-06-2018
Nomination.....
May-18
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Hello Group
Good Afternoon
My OCI application status showing “Under Process” means
Could somebody suggest me what does it means?

thank you in advance

GS gill

Apr 11, 2019
Hello all, i have quick question! My OCI is in process acknoweldgement date 1 sept but i got little concern that i did not sign on my canadian passport front page under endorsemenr and limitation. Should i be worried? Did anyone got oci approved without those signatures???

Jul 4, 2017
I sent through postal last week. It showed up on BLS tracking this week.

Application sent : 2023-Sep-25
Application delivered : 2023-Sep-27
BLS - application date : 2023-Oct-04
BLS - underprocess : 2023-Oct-04
Hello,

Do we have to submit Original Canadian Passport for a postal Application?

Thanks,
Shashank

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello Group
Good Afternoon
My OCI application status showing “Under Process” means
Could somebody suggest me what does it means?

thank you in advance
Its in that state for max of the time so even if someone is working on your application it's not clear what happens under the hood.