+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Can anyone help me in identifying if any mistake in my below thought, pls:

1. Apply for dubai visa on Indian passport in meanwhile I get oath.
2. After my oath, i apply for canadian passport and then
2. Leave to India on Indian passport.
3. I have to stay around 1 year in India, and while exit I will travel to Dubai on Indian passport and then from Dubai I will book flight on Canada passport to make an entry in Canada. From there, I will apply for surrender and then OCI.

Any thoughts ?
Point#1 You only have a grace period of 3 months to use the Indian Passport once you acquire foreign passport.
Point# 2 Use one passport to enter/exit India and then another passport to enter/exit Canada. Is that even possible ?

btw I am very curious to know how did you come up with this plan ?

j.pallavi16

Feb 11, 2022
Sorry for more questions; hopefully this will be the last one. If we use courier service for OCI, do we need to be present at home to collect the document after dispatch from New Delhi or will it be delivered to the mailbox? I ask because there's a chance we might be out of the country around the time the OCI reaches us.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Sorry for more questions; hopefully this will be the last one. If we use courier service for OCI, do we need to be present at home to collect the document after dispatch from New Delhi or will it be delivered to the mailbox? I ask because there's a chance we might be out of the country around the time the OCI reaches us.
They will deliver to your home, so someone would need to be present

prasanth reddy

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2014
Nomination.....
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-03-2015
Point#1 You only have a grace period of 3 months to use the Indian Passport once you acquire foreign passport.
Point# 2 Use one passport to enter/exit India and then another passport to enter/exit Canada. Is that even possible ?

btw I am very curious to know how did you come up with this plan ?
I think the grace period 3 months for submission of Indian passport is for no penalty. We can still surrender within 3 years with some penalty and there are other rules mentioned in Indian site.

Regarding Point 2, exiting India on Indian passport with exit stamp to travel to Dubai is legal so no issues rt ? and for Canada, since its not maintaining exit stamps or records, and only concerned about entry, it should be good rt ?

My mind thinking different ways as entry visas are suspended, so have to find other way to travel and come back to Canada on urgency. Necessity drives all these plans.

Akgargcse

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I just submitted my OCI application at BLS Brampton yesterday and I see the status as "Processing at Consulate General".
In this thread, I see many people mentioned "Date of acknowledgement". I am not sure what this means.

Is there an email that we receive from India high commission confirming the receipt of application?

Shinda545

Sep 23, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I just submitted my OCI application at BLS Brampton yesterday and I see the status as "Processing at Consulate General".
In this thread, I see many people mentioned "Date of acknowledgement". I am not sure what this means.

Is there an email that we receive from India high commission confirming the receipt of application?
It takes some time before HCI starts processing files . You will see status under process on oci website on which you filled forms once file in inder. Process