+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks and for the surrender certificate as well, is the original surrender certificate needed or would a photo copy work
You need to submit copies of all documents for OCI application however if you are doing Walk in for submission of OCI , take original documents with you. They ask them and return you after checking them .

RaghuRam123

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
You need to submit copies of all documents for OCI application however if you are doing Walk in for submission of OCI , take original documents with you. They ask them and return you after checking them .
Hi All,

I have a question for minor OCI,

I (Father) have Canada passport and OCI and my wife (mother) have India passport and PR status and i am going to submit application at BLS,
which option need to select for below question for Minor OCI application

Relation with ROOT INDIAN -- Father or Mother

write2rtd

Apr 4, 2016
Canada
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
28-02-2018
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
Med's Request
04-04-2019
Med's Done....
16-04-2019
Passport Req..
18-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2019
LANDED..........
30-05-2019
BLS Portal Status:
14 Aug: Postal application sent to Brampton
15 Aug: Received at BLS
17 Aug: BLS status application received
22 Aug: Two statuses: Both under process
23 Aug: Two statuses: Both BLS Processing at Consulate General

OCI Enquiry Website:
1 Sep: Under Process

write2rtd

Apr 4, 2016
Canada
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
28-02-2018
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
Med's Request
04-04-2019
Med's Done....
16-04-2019
Passport Req..
18-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2019
LANDED..........
30-05-2019
We are on similar timelines. You should get your date of acknowledgement either today or next week.

It would take another month from the date of acknowledgement to get your OCI if everything is in order
Hi @SumiMetal666,
You were right! Received it today!
Thanks.

Reactions: SumiMetal666

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
My son has US Nationality and OCI which we obtained when we were in USA.

Once he obtains Canadian Citizenship as well, do we need to submit OCI application under Misc Category for change in passport details

rizingphoenix

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
Hello all for employment letter, may i know what needs to be provided. I am currently working as a IT contractor with a vendor company. So i have my own incorporation. Is there any format through which self employed needs to fill up the employment details

Mazallstar

Jun 5, 2017
Sharing my experience for OCI Walk-in Application at the Brampton location.

Arrived at the location at around 6.25am in the morning there were around 18 people ahead of me, the first person in line had queued up at 5am in the morning. Doors opened at 8am and around 8 to 10 walk-in applicants were given tokens and were asked to wait inside. It seems that between 8am to 9am there aren't any appointments so they let in walk in applicants until the appointment candidates start to show up.

At around 8.20 I was given the token. Lady at counter 9 asked for the checklist and documents, as far as the original documents goes, we were only asked for the Indian Passport and all the documents were validated against the Indian passport.

At the end she asked for the photographs and pointed that the shoulders are not visible, I showed her the sample format that is available on their website where the specifications and sample images where similar to what we had. She refused saying that the shoulder should be visible, she will submit the application with these pics however there is a possibility that it will be rejected.

Since I drove all the way from East end, I was in no mood to start this process all over again so I opted for the Photo service and paid $15 for two copies of 2x2 photos, gave the copies to the lady while share arranged for the OCI drop service. In total I paid approximately around $100 for two applicants. (Photo + Courier + Admin charges). I was out by around 8.50 am.

Thanks to @abbas.pasha and this community for the guidance in getting this through in my first attempt. Cheers!

Last edited:

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
Hi, I have been working as a security guard for a private security company in Canada since about 2018. Then, for the the below question in OCI application, would I have to answer 'Yes' ?
Whether the applicant (other than minor child/children) has worked / is working in Armed Forces/Para-military/Police/Security/Intelligence organizations?

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I have been working for a reputed private security company in Canada since about 2018. Then, for the the below question in OCI application, would I have to answer 'Yes' ?
Whether the applicant (other than minor child/children) has worked / is working in Armed Forces/Para-military/Police/Security/Intelligence organizations?
You have to say Yes as its a Security company and answering Yes would lead to No OCI. You can give it a try.

Reactions: EE12345

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
You have to say Yes as its a Security company and answering Yes would lead to No OCI. You can give it a try.
Thank you forw.jane, I agree. But I think here - security and intelligence is national security and intelligence. Security guard for private corporations shouldn’t be a problem . Maybe the office might ask for my job details or so, because here in Canada lot of Indian students and PRs work as security guards in private security companies. Thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you forw.jane, I agree. But I think here - security and intelligence is national security and intelligence. Security guard for private corporations shouldn’t be a problem . Maybe the office might ask for my job details or so, because here in Canada lot of Indian students and PRs work as security guards in private security companies. Thank you for the reply, appreciate it.
If you are going in-person, discuss it before submitting with the manager/supervisor over there. BLS Ottawa has a very knowledgeable and helpful one.

Reactions: EE12345

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
If you are going in-person, discuss it before submitting with the manager/supervisor over there. BLS Ottawa has a very knowledgeable and helpful one.
Hi, I will be going to BLS Vancouver or Surrey. But I will call them on phone also try to ask them. I have sent an email to OCI helpdesk .
Also I found below in official OCI 2021 circular - Page 15 point 33(4) - from their website FAQ section:

"Children and spouse of foreign military/police personnel either in service or retired and foreign nationals working in Private Security Agencies, Home Offices, Prisons, National Probation Service and companies or organisations associated with the Flome Office or military institutions, i.e. those who are not directly employed in military or police, may be considered for registration as OCI Cardholders subject to fulfilling the eligibility criteria as provided in section 7 A of The Citizenship Act, 1955. :

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
Hi, I spoke just now with a BLS call center agent using contact numbers on their website. The call center agent said - if you are working with Government organizations, you are not be eligible. But if you are working for private companies, you are eligible to apply.

Also he mentioned that for private companies the answer to above question - "Applicant..... is working in Armed Forces/Para-military/Police/Security/Intelligence organizations? " should be put as 'No' .

I will update again, once I with speak with BLS supervisors/ managers in person at their office, while submitting application. Thank you.

Reactions: forw.jane