+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi
I m a Canadian citizen
I recently got my renunciation certificate as my Indian passport was lost
Do i need to attach the record of landing with my OCI application?
as i m already a Canadian citizen now

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Thanku so much
Also for a minor Tourist visa for India from Canada what is to be done in the signature section below the photograph

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
BLS OCI Experience:

I have just returned home today from submitting the OCI application for myself, my wife and my minor daughter. I will narrate my experience below.

First of all, I want to express sincere thanks to the lady at the counter who allowed me to submit 3 applications in 1 time slot. It is in fact mentioned in the FAQs on the BLS website that one slot corresponds to one application. I should have booked more appointments, similar to what I did when we surrendered our passports. So I am grateful that all 3 were considered.

The centre I visited was BLS Brampton. I had a 1 appointment slot. I went alone with all 3 applications. It was as crowded as it usually is. No surprise there. I was called to the counter after a wait of around 10 minutes. My application was in order. I had sorted, aligned and ordered each document, as enlisted by the BLS website. My wife's application was the first to be verified, then my daughter's and then my own.

The draft and a single photograph were placed in an envelope together. They were the last to be verified. Here's where things began to go south. I was told that there should be 2 photographs. I responded by stating that only 1 photograph is requested. 2 photographs is not a requirement, neither on the BLS checklist & instructions nor on the CGI website. This concern was then deflected to the statement - "The photographs are not stamped". Again, I reiterated my previous stance. Not a requirement in either of those places.

So when this didn't work, lastly, I was told that the shoulders were not visible, and the photographs were not on glossy paper. The photographs were in fact, on a glossy Kodak photo paper. In fact, I used the same photos for the surrender certificate. She said to ask your wife to "click a photo from her phone of self and my daughter and send it over to you. We will upload and resubmit."

I resisted.

Ultimately, I was told to write an application stating that BLS would not be held responsible for any rejections as a result of incorrect photograph specifications. I wrote an application and gave it back to her. She kept it aside, went ahead and processed my applications and charged me, for each application, in addition to the $345 bank draft:

BLS Fee - $6.55
Courier Fee - $26.55
GST - $4.26
Debit card surcharge - $0.70

So in total, I paid $383 per application. It took a total of 30 minutes for 3 applications.

To summarize, it was a strenuous and mentally tasking experience. In the past, I have applied for and obtained my daughter's renewed Indian passport, applied for and successfully renewed my own Indian passport, obtained my younger daughter's (who was born in Canada) OCI in 2021, and surrendered our Indian passports - All at a BLS location - Either Toronto or Brampton. And NOT ONCE have I faced the difficulty in submitting an application, that I have faced today. I spent an entire week ensuring everything was in order, took multiple copies of each document, checked each attestation, ensured that the photographs were perfect according to spec, and was successfully able to upload them to the portal in one go - without cropping - YET, I faced this hassle when submitting the applications.

I can only conclude that this is done in deliberation, to earn money from VAS at their locations, from the vulnerable applicants, who, in a bid to get it over with are willing to pay obnoxious amounts to get the work done and dealt with.

I also understand that it's not an easy job working desks at a BLS counter. People come in with all sorts of errors in their applications and some officials do go above and beyond to ensure that the applicant is taken care of all at a measly service fee of $6.55 per application BUT the service is not consistent throughout and there is definitely room for improvement.

Thanks!

PS: I just hope that I did the right thing, and the application is not rejected on accord of photographs (which it shouldn't ideally)

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
For my Oci application I uploaded my photograph which shows in the photo section of the form when I printed it
So where should I paste the original photograph?
or do I not need to ?

Mazallstar

Jun 5, 2017
Hi All,
Planning to go super early (around 6ish) and line up for walk-in at Brampton BLS center for OCI application. Some where I read that that you need to be in the right line and also that there are two address (Two different buildings) so I just want to get this right and not end up standing in a wrong queue or at the wrong address. Can someone guide me what to look after arriving at this location. Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All,
Planning to go super early (around 6ish) and line up for walk-in at Brampton BLS center for OCI application. Some where I read that that you need to be in the right line and also that there are two address (Two different buildings) so I just want to get this right and not end up standing in a wrong queue or at the wrong address. Can someone guide me what to look after arriving at this location. Thanks
Bldg# 40 pe jaane kaa kya

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
BLS OCI Experience:

I have just returned home today from submitting the OCI application for myself, my wife and my minor daughter. I will narrate my experience below.

First of all, I want to express sincere thanks to the lady at the counter who allowed me to submit 3 applications in 1 time slot. It is in fact mentioned in the FAQs on the BLS website that one slot corresponds to one application. I should have booked more appointments, similar to what I did when we surrendered our passports. So I am grateful that all 3 were considered.

The centre I visited was BLS Brampton. I had a 1 appointment slot. I went alone with all 3 applications. It was as crowded as it usually is. No surprise there. I was called to the counter after a wait of around 10 minutes. My application was in order. I had sorted, aligned and ordered each document, as enlisted by the BLS website. My wife's application was the first to be verified, then my daughter's and then my own.

The draft and a single photograph were placed in an envelope together. They were the last to be verified. Here's where things began to go south. I was told that there should be 2 photographs. I responded by stating that only 1 photograph is requested. 2 photographs is not a requirement, neither on the BLS checklist & instructions nor on the CGI website. This concern was then deflected to the statement - "The photographs are not stamped". Again, I reiterated my previous stance. Not a requirement in either of those places.

So when this didn't work, lastly, I was told that the shoulders were not visible, and the photographs were not on glossy paper. The photographs were in fact, on a glossy Kodak photo paper. In fact, I used the same photos for the surrender certificate. She said to ask your wife to "click a photo from her phone of self and my daughter and send it over to you. We will upload and resubmit."

I resisted.

Ultimately, I was told to write an application stating that BLS would not be held responsible for any rejections as a result of incorrect photograph specifications. I wrote an application and gave it back to her. She kept it aside, went ahead and processed my applications and charged me, for each application, in addition to the $345 bank draft:

BLS Fee - $6.55
Courier Fee - $26.55
GST - $4.26

So in total, I paid $383 per application. It took a total of 30 minutes for 3 applications.

To summarize, it was a strenuous and mentally tasking experience. In the past, I have applied for and obtained my daughter's renewed Indian passport, applied for and successfully renewed my own Indian passport, obtained my younger daughter's (who was born in Canada) OCI in 2021, and surrendered our Indian passports - All at a BLS location - Either Toronto or Brampton. And NOT ONCE have I faced the difficulty in submitting an application, that I have faced today. I spent an entire week ensuring everything was in order, took multiple copies of each document, checked each attestation, ensured that the photographs were perfect according to spec, and was successfully able to upload them to the portal in one go - without cropping - YET, I faced this hassle when submitting the applications.

I can only conclude that this is done in deliberation, to earn money from VAS at their locations, from the vulnerable applicants, who, in a bid to get it over with are willing to pay obnoxious amounts to get the work done and dealt with.

I also understand that it's not an easy job working desks at a BLS counter. People come in with all sorts of errors in their applications and some officials do go above and beyond to ensure that the applicant is taken care of all at a measly service fee of $6.55 per application BUT the service is not consistent throughout and there is definitely room for improvement.

Thanks!

PS: I just hope that I did the right thing, and the application is not rejected on accord of photographs (which it shouldn't ideally)
You paid for the courier this is all what they need. I don't think it will be an issue

Reactions: kurtrules

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
BLS OCI Experience:

I resisted.

BLS Fee - $6.55
Courier Fee - $26.55
GST - $4.26

Thanks!

Also, a few things to add on:

1. No original documents were kept.
2. Take prints of the entire checklist. Including instructions. They will keep those too.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022
Today i submitted a postal OCI application to BLS Brampton. Sent via Puralator ( not using BLS PICK UP - DROP OFF ).. it was 3 dollars more than BLS quote (33 vs 30); however, the BLS website takes 30 CAD extra for the original drop off, which is not required for OCI. For return, i kept a "DROP OFF " only order confirmation from BLS Website. I hope it gets through. I will be posting updates/stories..... I am in the Roller Coaster

Last edited:

write2rtd

Apr 4, 2016
Canada
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
28-02-2018
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
Med's Request
04-04-2019
Med's Done....
16-04-2019
Passport Req..
18-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2019
LANDED..........
30-05-2019
BLS Portal Status:
14 Aug: Postal application sent to Brampton
15 Aug: Received at BLS
17 Aug: BLS status application received
22 Aug: Two statuses: Both under process
23 Aug: Two statuses: Both BLS Processing at Consulate General

Hi,
We are waiting for the Date of Acknowledgement from CGI. Is there an email that we receive? Please advise.
Thanks.