+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@abbas.pasha after how long we can start tracking OCI status on OCI website? BLS processing at consulate and OCI says no record found.
During the time I submitted (Dec 2022) it used to take 20+ days for the acknowledgment aka status show to reflect on the OCI website
but these days I have seen through various post here that this has come down to 6-10 days. But since you are a postal applicant just factor in an additional week

Reactions: write2rtd

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
During the time I submitted (Dec 2022) it used to take 20+ days for the acknowledgment aka status show to reflect on the OCI website
but these days I have seen through various post here that this has come down to 6-10 days. But since you are a postal applicant just factor in an additional week
Thank you:)

Reactions: abbas.pasha

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
My status:

Walk-in application (Toronto): 22 Jul
Date of Acknowledgement: 1 Aug
Document Printing Status: 23 Aug
Dispatched from MEA(OCI) New Delhi: 23 Aug
Document Received at Toronto: 23 Aug

(has not been delivered yet but I expect it by early next week)
Mine is just 1 day before yours for all the status updates and the tracking on BLS was updated today with a Purolator label number. Delivery date is tomorrow. I’ll post here again when I receive it.

Last edited:

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
I have an appointment on the 30th of August for three applications - me, my wife and my minor daughter. I booked an appointment as soon as I submitted the surrender applications in person at BLS Brampton on the 5th Aug. Thankfully, I received the surrender certificates and cancelled passports back yesterday.

I had already applied for and received the OCI for my younger daughter who was born in Canada, back in 2021. It was a smooth process at the Toronto BLS centre.

I am a bit skeptical about the processes followed at the BLS at Brampton, so I am going through this thread, and, am especially thankful to @abbas.pasha for the excellent information that he has shared on this portal.

It might sound like a stupid query, but I'll ask it anyway - The document copies need to be self-attested. The question, however, is, does the document owner have to self-attest it, or the person for whom the application is being submitted? E.g. In my application, I have uploaded my wife's cancelled passport + her surrender certificate under the spousal passport section, as 1 PDF (which is another pain, to merge and resize under 500kb). Now, would I be attesting that copy (as the application is mine) or should I get it attested from my wife (as the passport and surrender cert is hers) ?

Thanks in advance!

isitmeyourelookingfor

Oct 7, 2022
Do you still need to send in originals of Indian Passport(cancelled), Surrender certificate, Foreign Citizenship certificate, and Canadian passport for the OCI application? The BLS checklist is very misleading. Also, for "Professional Details of the applicant", do they want proof of employment? Can you blur out your salary amount if it is an employment verification letter?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I have an appointment on the 30th of August for three applications - me, my wife and my minor daughter. I booked an appointment as soon as I submitted the surrender applications in person at BLS Brampton on the 5th Aug. Thankfully, I received the surrender certificates and cancelled passports back yesterday.

I had already applied for and received the OCI for my younger daughter who was born in Canada, back in 2021. It was a smooth process at the Toronto BLS centre.

I am a bit skeptical about the processes followed at the BLS at Brampton, so I am going through this thread, and, am especially thankful to @abbas.pasha for the excellent information that he has shared on this portal.

It might sound like a stupid query, but I'll ask it anyway - The document copies need to be self-attested. The question, however, is, does the document owner have to self-attest it, or the person for whom the application is being submitted? E.g. In my application, I have uploaded my wife's cancelled passport + her surrender certificate under the spousal passport section, as 1 PDF (which is another pain, to merge and resize under 500kb). Now, would I be attesting that copy (as the application is mine) or should I get it attested from my wife (as the passport and surrender cert is hers) ?

Thanks in advance!
You can merge and compress PDF using this tool:
https://www.ilovepdf.com/compress_pdf
https://www.ilovepdf.com/merge_pdf

In our case whatever the documents that were bearing our name whether I attached for myself or spouse's application were signed by respective document owners. i.e. You sign passport copy for you and let your wife sign her passport/document copies bearing her name

Reactions: kurtrules

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Do you still need to send in originals of Indian Passport(cancelled), Surrender certificate, Foreign Citizenship certificate, and Canadian passport for the OCI application? The BLS checklist is very misleading. Also, for "Professional Details of the applicant", do they want proof of employment? Can you blur out your salary amount if it is an employment verification letter?
Before posting plz use the search function. This has been mentioned so many times.
If you are sending your OCI application by post, do not send any originals.

Get the Employment letter without the salary.

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
Filling out the OCI form and came accross the section "Occupation details". In my case, the actual address of the employer (where I work) is different from the address that is mentioned in the employment reference letter (where HR dept is located). Any thoughts on how BLS would percieve this?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Filling out the OCI form and came accross the section "Occupation details". In my case, the actual address of the employer (where I work) is different from the address that is mentioned in the employment reference letter (where HR dept is located). Any thoughts on how BLS would percieve this?
They just want to know that you don't work for the government. Don't think they care about the address so much.

Reactions: harryguns

Bob_pat

Jul 30, 2023
What is time line for miscellaneous re-new of OCI. My miscellaneous application oci acknowledge date is 27 July still under process on oci site.
Any clue??

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
They just want to know that you don't work for the government. Don't think they care about the address so much.
Just to add to this, for my application i drafted a simple letter on my own which has my educational background as well as current job information (title, employer, location - city, province). It was about 2 paragraphs. They accepted the letter without any issues.

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
Just to add to this, for my application i drafted a simple letter on my own which has my educational background as well as current job information (title, employer, location - city, province). It was about 2 paragraphs. They accepted the letter without any issues.
so you just submitted the draft letter with details and NOT the one which employer provides on letterhead?