+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Only the copy. They verified all the original documents but didn't keep any of them.
So you went to BLS Toronto and they only checked your SC and return it to you? I was hearing news that they charge you an additional courier fees just for the return of the SC. Again a money making tactic. Even though SC is from the system of the Indian consulate but they still keep it and charge people for return courier.

Did it not happen in your case?

For the pictures, did you stick the photo on the form? Did the agent check the back of the photo?
Thanks

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
For the letter of employment my employer gave me a letter which has this information, digitally signed by the HR, on the digital company letterhead.

To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the written authorization of the named individual and in response to your written request, we are providing the following information:

Name:
Date of Hire:
Separation Date: N/A
Position Held:
Role:
Weekly Working Hours:
Employment Status:
Annual Base Salary:

Is this enough?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
For the letter of employment my employer gave me a letter which has this information, digitally signed by the HR, on the digital company letterhead.

To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the written authorization of the named individual and in response to your written request, we are providing the following information:

Name:
Date of Hire:
Separation Date: N/A
Position Held:
Role:
Weekly Working Hours:
Employment Status:
Annual Base Salary:

Is this enough?
role, working hours and salary is not required

Reactions: OldH1B

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks Abbas bhai. Its a pre generated document so I can't remove it. I will let it be.

We are 3 applicants - 2 parents and 1 minor child.

Can I do ONE bank draft of 345 x 3 for BLS and ONE of 7.40 x 3 for BLS? Or do I need to make 6 bank drafts?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks Abbas bhai. Its a pre generated document so I can't remove it. I will let it be.

We are 3 applicants - 2 parents and 1 minor child.

Can I do ONE bank draft of 345 x 3 for BLS and ONE of 7.40 x 3 for BLS? Or do I need to make 6 bank drafts?
One is fine as long as you are sure none of the applications will be returned. If you have a doubt if either one of the the applications might be returned because of missing documents or issue with the form, then I would suggest you to make separate drafts (3 separate drafts for CGI/HCI and you can make single draft for the remaining fee to be paid to BLS)

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Hi @abbas.pasha Bhai! Thanks to you, with your help I got the SCs done. Now its time for the OCI. I did an OCI once in the past but that was for my kid who was born here so was simpler. Now I am doing for 3 of us who were born in India.

Is there a sticky post which I can refer to figure out all the documents required for OCI specifically?

I remember when I went for my SC, for my wife, I had taken internet bill and they accepted that but he specifically said for OCI bring the Notice of Assessment as its a govt document. My wife doesn't have an Ontario ID or a DL. She has a health card. What other documents can I take for her.

These are the documents I think should suffice.
- Surrender Certificate
- Cancelled Indian Passport
- Citizenship Certificate
- Canadian passport
- Drivers License
- Notice of Assessment
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate for my son (born in India)
- Application forms
- Photos

Is there any other document needed for OCI? Please suggest TIA
For mailed OCI applications, which original documents need to be included? Is one photo sufficient?

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
In the first page of the OCI Application form,
Under - Applicant's Family Details
Under - Spouse's Details
- Spouse's Passport No.
- Spouse's Passport Issue Date
- Spouse's Passport Date Of Expiry
- Spouse's Passport Issue Place

This information is from Spouse's indian passport or canadian passport?
No help doc explains it clearly.

Can someone advise please?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
In the first page of the OCI Application form,
Under - Applicant's Family Details
Under - Spouse's Details
- Spouse's Passport No.
- Spouse's Passport Issue Date
- Spouse's Passport Date Of Expiry
- Spouse's Passport Issue Place

This information is from Spouse's indian passport or canadian passport?
No help doc explains it clearly.

Can someone advise please?
Canadian passport

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
So you went to BLS Toronto and they only checked your SC and return it to you? I was hearing news that they charge you an additional courier fees just for the return of the SC. Again a money making tactic. Even though SC is from the system of the Indian consulate but they still keep it and charge people for return courier.

Did it not happen in your case?

For the pictures, did you stick the photo on the form? Did the agent check the back of the photo?
Thanks
Yes, submitted in-person at BLS Toronto. I had the photocopies of all the required documents with my application and showed the originals for verification.

They looked at the originals and handed them back to me after verifying the form. I paid CGI fee of $345 by bank draft and the BLS fee was $7.4. They charged an extra $30 for courier fee to send me the OCI booklet.

I brought two pictures along. Both were stamped with a date. The same photo was scanned and uploaded to my online application. Once you print the application, the photo and uploaded signature picture gets printed on the first page. They kept only one of the 2 pictures I brought along.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
One is fine as long as you are sure none of the applications will be returned. If you have a doubt if either one of the the applications might be returned because of missing documents or issue with the form, then I would suggest you to make separate drafts (3 separate drafts for CGI/HCI and you can make single draft for the remaining fee to be paid to BLS)
I recently went for the SC and they charged me everything via debit card. No cash was allowed. They didn't ask for Bank Draft.

Can anyone confirm, for OCI, can I make payment via Debit card? Or Bank Draft is mandatory?

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
I recently went for the SC and they charged me everything via debit card. No cash was allowed. They didn't ask for Bank Draft.

Can anyone confirm, for OCI, can I make payment via Debit card? Or Bank Draft is mandatory?
As per the checklist, the 345$ needs to be a demand draft and other fees are BLS will be via debit. That 345$ absolutely have to be a DD. I can confirm this.

swar12894

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Has anyone done seprate pickup + seprate drop off for postal applications?

Combined pick up and drop off also charges additional $30 for original drop off which doesn't appeared to be required for Toronto.

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019

OCI fee of $345 has to be a bank draft. I submitted my application today. The draft has to be in favor of “Consulate General of India - Toronto” (or equivalent).