+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Also for SC, the form asks to upload a photo on the form but I can’t see any link to it. Can anyone share their experience please?
Thanks in advance
There is no uploading any photos for SC application. You will have submit two 2in X 2in photos when you walk in or send the application via mail.
FYI, if you walk in and for any reason they reject your photo, they charge 30$ to take 2 photo copies at BLS Brampton. One of may cash grabs from them.

Last edited:

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
There is no uploading any photos for SC application. You will have submit two 2in X 2in photos when you walk in or send the application via mail.
FYI, if you walk in and for any reason they reject your photo, they charge 30$ to take 2 photo copies at BLS Brampton. One of may cash grabs from them.
Thank you!
Isn’t it only one photo (2x2 inches) needed to be pasted on the form as per the checklist?
As per their checklist I am sending these for SC-
1. Checklist filled and signed
2. Online app form
3. Indian PP original and photocopy bio pages signed
4. Citizenship cert signed photocopy
5. Canadian PP signed photocopy
6. Internet bill as proof of add
7. 1 photo pasted on app form
8. Fee (129$ for Ottawa)

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thank you!
Isn’t it only one photo (2x2 inches) needed to be pasted on the form as per the checklist?
As per their checklist I am sending these for SC-
1. Checklist filled and signed
2. Online app form
3. Indian PP original and photocopy bio pages signed
4. Citizenship cert signed photocopy
5. Canadian PP signed photocopy
6. Internet bill as proof of add
7. 1 photo pasted on app form
8. Fee (129$ for Ottawa)
What they mentioned on the site is misleading. Seems like you are sending via mail. I would recommend send two photos instead of one. one attached to the application form, another in a small envelope. I applied via walk in at Brampton and did not take my own photograph thinking it was only 15$ at the consulate. But they charged my 30$ for two photos.

Last edited:

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Lets not blame government for everything. If all Indian community together here together sign off an appeal and present to Indian Consulate and copy to Ministry of External Affairs India, i am sure an action will be taken, I believe BLS was doing the same in US as well and their services were discontinued and VFS Global was brought in.
I would more than happy to sign an appeal or post an official complaint. Do we know a site or email where i can send my feedback? You should go on FB and see the list of things they do to get more money from applicants. When i submitted my application, i saw a couple of other older applicants who missed a copy of their id and they charged them 6$ for one black and white copy. They also ask us if you want a phone call about update on your application for some 6 or 10$ (i am not entirely sure about the amount). Also everyone know their 'partnership' with Purolator. They charge 30$ each way. If the same thing needs to be shipped via Canada post it costs around 5 to 6$ (yes i have checked the price online if you are using your own envelope which is another 2$ maybe). There is also an option of pick up but they force you to use Purolator courier service for drop off. I read all these and I had half a mind to make sure everything was perfect and not make them charge me anything outside the application fee. But i live quite a distance away from Brampton and its highly inconvenient for me to pick up the SC in person due to my schedules.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I would more than happy to sign an appeal or post an official complaint. Do we know a site or email where i can send my feedback? You should go on FB and see the list of things they do to get more money from applicants. When i submitted my application, i saw a couple of other older applicants who missed a copy of their id and they charged them 6$ for one black and white copy. They also ask us if you want a phone call about update on your application for some 6 or 10$ (i am not entirely sure about the amount). Also everyone know their 'partnership' with Purolator. They charge 30$ each way. If the same thing needs to be shipped via Canada post it costs around 5 to 6$ (yes i have checked the price online if you are using your own envelope which is another 2$ maybe). There is also an option of pick up but they force you to use Purolator courier service for drop off. I read all these and I had half a mind to make sure everything was perfect and not make them charge me anything outside the application fee. But i live quite a distance away from Brampton and its highly inconvenient for me to pick up the SC in person due to my schedules.

clearly they misuse for them being sole provider of services and i have raised this in the past (filed complaints and made tweets on their account with complaints, BLS never responds). The only solution here is sending official complaint to Ministry of External Affairs Govt of India and wish some one reads it. I know many people will say how many times in your life you deal with such nuisance (may be 5-6 times during entire stay in Canada)

- passport renewal (once in 5-10 years)
- Surrender of passport
- OCI application
- Misc services

So they just get away with no one being willing to make them do work diligently.

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
clearly they misuse for them being sole provider of services and i have raised this in the past (filed complaints and made tweets on their account with complaints, BLS never responds). The only solution here is sending official complaint to Ministry of External Affairs Govt of India and wish some one reads it. I know many people will say how many times in your life you deal with such nuisance (may be 5-6 times during entire stay in Canada)

- Surrender of passport
- OCI application
- Misc services

So they just get away with no one being willing to make them do work diligently.
Absolutely agree.

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018

- Surrender of passport
- OCI application
- Misc services

They do read, pls raise this with madad portal with evidences of excess charges or anything you might have faced.

More the number of complaints something will trigger

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
They do read, pls raise this with madad portal with evidences of excess charges or anything you might have faced.

More the number of complaints something will trigger

I am willing to pay slightly more for better service and more professional and decent staff (i will always support case of having VFS office in here).

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi @abbas.pasha Bhai! Thanks to you, with your help I got the SCs done. Now its time for the OCI. I did an OCI once in the past but that was for my kid who was born here so was simpler. Now I am doing for 3 of us who were born in India.

Is there a sticky post which I can refer to figure out all the documents required for OCI specifically?

I remember when I went for my SC, for my wife, I had taken internet bill and they accepted that but he specifically said for OCI bring the Notice of Assessment as its a govt document. My wife doesn't have an Ontario ID or a DL. She has a health card. What other documents can I take for her.

These are the documents I think should suffice.
- Surrender Certificate
- Cancelled Indian Passport
- Citizenship Certificate
- Canadian passport
- Drivers License
- Notice of Assessment
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate for my son (born in India)
- Application forms
- Photos

Is there any other document needed for OCI? Please suggest TIA

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Veer tum badhe chalo...
Just submitted my OCI application at BLS Toronto. They were ok with the picture I submitted and took only one copy (I went in with two that had a date stamp behind them).

They also didn't ask to keep any of my original documents. The guy at the counter did mention that if the consulate requests additional documents, BLS will reach out to me (hopefully not).

They said OCI will be sent by courier so apart from the draft of $345, I paid $37.40 = $30 for return courier and $7.40 for BLS fee. Processing time quoted was 2 months. I will post here when I receive it.

Reactions: pHrankee

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Just submitted my OCI application at BLS Toronto. They were ok with the picture I submitted and took only one copy (I went in with two that had a date stamp behind them).

They also didn't ask to keep any of my original documents. The guy at the counter did mention that if the consulate requests additional documents, BLS will reach out to me (hopefully not).

They said OCI will be sent by courier so apart from the draft of $345, I paid $37.40 = $30 for return courier and $7.40 for BLS fee. Processing time quoted was 2 months. I will post here when I receive it.
Great info. Just to reconfirm, did they take your original surrender certificate or only the copy?

Reactions: The N

HMO

Jun 18, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Doc's Request.
------
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
process started on 21 April 2015 and SLU 24 April 2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015 & TLU 27 May 2015
Interview........
------
Passport Req..
DM 06 Aug 2015 & PPR 06 Aug 2015 , PP submitted 10 Aug 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport collected on 20 Aug 2015 & Visa issue 04 Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Jan/Feb 2016
Today's Update :

OCI timeline:

Application type: Walkin application.
Application Submitted - July 8th 2023
In Transit from BLS to Consulate: July 10th 2023
BLS Status - Processing at Consulate General - July 10th 2023
Date of Acknowledgment: July 17th 2023

Today's update:

Application type: Walkin application.
Application Submitted - July 8th 2023
In Transit from BLS to Consulate: July 10th 2023
BLS Status - Processing at Consulate General - July 10th 2023
Date of Acknowledgment: July 17th 2023
Original documents Received : July 20th 2023 (they sent surrender certificate and original photo 2nd copy back)

They ask one extra copy of Photo at the time of walkin submission. I provided soft copy of my photo and they printed out. Now, they sent back that extra 2nd photo back to me along with original surrender certificate. Is that their routine practice?

Thank you
Regards,

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Dealing with BLS reminds of passport services in India way back in 90s when it was big queue and getting passport was liking winning a battle. With new regime its way better in India but over here its pathetic, big queues (as if its a refugee camp distributing food for free).
Hi @abbas.pasha Bhai! Thanks to you, with your help I got the SCs done. Now its time for the OCI. I did an OCI once in the past but that was for my kid who was born here so was simpler. Now I am doing for 3 of us who were born in India.

Is there a sticky post which I can refer to figure out all the documents required for OCI specifically?

I remember when I went for my SC, for my wife, I had taken internet bill and they accepted that but he specifically said for OCI bring the Notice of Assessment as its a govt document. My wife doesn't have an Ontario ID or a DL. She has a health card. What other documents can I take for her.

These are the documents I think should suffice.
- Surrender Certificate
- Cancelled Indian Passport
- Citizenship Certificate
- Canadian passport
- Drivers License
- Notice of Assessment
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate for my son (born in India)
- Application forms
- Photos

Is there any other document needed for OCI? Please suggest TIA

With BLS even if we take one truck full of documents starting from our birth, they will turn application back for something.

Like in order to catch a thief the COPS think like thief,

So for in order to pass BLS team, think like you are on BLS employee who has 100% incentive in returning an application what all means you will find to

You will have your answer.

My apologies if tried to explain it differently.