+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Aathreya

Jun 12, 2023
friends
I am applying for OCI for me, my wife and kid at BLS center in Brampton. I seem to have a bunch of concerns and am hoping you can help
1. OCI online form - Mission field (what goes here? Toronto or Ottawa? seems obvious but the instructions seem to say it should be Ottawa)
2. Fees: should the bank draft be addressed to Consulate General of India- Toronto or to Indian High Commisioner - Ottawa?
3. Online form section2 - passport details - Instructions are confusing on this, should it be my new canadian passport or the surrenderred indian passport?
4. Uploading documents section - This section seems to have a different list of documents for uploading from those listed in the checklist. What should go where? The checklist asks for Surrender cert, Canadian citizenship cert, surrendered indian passport, canadian passport, profession details, proof of address, birth cert for minor, consent of parents for minor, passport of parents. how does these align to whats on the online section?
5. Should the passport upload be only the info pages? otherwise it becomes too large to upload
6. How do i compress the pdf files to 1000KB? this will likely take up a lot of hours.
7. consent of parents for minor - what is this document?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
For filling up the application form, BLS representative can help you. There
Guys, does anyone know when does the appointment slots for July open up on BLS Canada website? Currently only June days are visible but as expected every day is booked completely.
Check every morning 8am to 10am, they open fresh appointments for that particular day

Reactions: forw.jane

Aathreya

Jun 12, 2023
If any one needs the real time status of the application.

The information need is:
Applicant Full Name and the type of application.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
For a friend not in this forum. Sorry for asking passport question in OCI group, but as it has impact for future OCI application so asking here.
Tried to search in the forum but did not get any useful info.

Place of birth in Indian passport - Chikali Pune, Maharashtra
Same was mentioned in citizenship application "Q 4 g) Place of birth? City/Town section"
COPR has - Chikali Pune, M

For Canadian Passport Application what should be mentioned in Place of birth ? "Chikali Pune, Maharashtra" ?

Will Passport Canada pick part of it and create a need for affidavit for OCI application? Like Only "Chikali IND" or "Chikali Pune IND" or "Maharashtra IND"

Appreciate any help. @abbas.pasha - Please help if you have any idea about this.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
For a friend not in this forum. Sorry for asking passport question in OCI group, but as it has impact for future OCI application so asking here.
Tried to search in the forum but did not get any useful info.

Place of birth in Indian passport - Chikali Pune, Maharashtra
Same was mentioned in citizenship application "Q 4 g) Place of birth? City/Town section"
COPR has - Chikali Pune, M

For Canadian Passport Application what should be mentioned in Place of birth ? "Chikali Pune, Maharashtra" ?

Will Passport Canada pick part of it and create a need for affidavit for OCI application? Like Only "Chikali IND" or "Chikali Pune IND" or "Maharashtra IND"

Appreciate any help. @abbas.pasha - Please help if you have any idea about this.
Instead of your friend fretting over it letter Passport Canada decide ;)
imho it would be Chikali IND
It will not require an affidavit at the OCI submission time.
I have the follow pob mentioned (i did not have to submit any affidavit):
  • Indian passport: Mumbai, MS
  • Canadian CoPR: Mumbai MS
  • Canadian passport: Mumbai, IND

Reactions: forw.jane

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Instead of your friend fretting over it letter Passport Canada decide ;)
imho it would be Chikali IND
It will not require an affidavit at the OCI submission time.
I have the follow pob mentioned (i did not have to submit any affidavit):
  • Indian passport: Mumbai, MS
  • Canadian CoPR: Mumbai MS
  • Canadian passport: Mumbai, IND
Did you right "Mumbai, MS" as your place of birth in your passport application or just "Mumbai"?

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
https://ociservices.gov.in/ quotes "Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India."
What does it mean by "Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India." - Ordinarily resident of India ?

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
What does it mean by "Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India." - Ordinarily resident of India ?
general meaning of Ordinary residence

"If you have been resident for the previous 3 tax years, then you become ordinarily resident from the start of the fourth year. "

I don't know exactly how India defines it but I guess it would be the same as above. Plz check with Indian embassy.

ramsay1212

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019

ramsay1212

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
general meaning of Ordinary residence

"If you have been resident for the previous 3 tax years, then you become ordinarily resident from the start of the fourth year. "

I don't know exactly how India defines it but I guess it would be the same as above. Plz check with Indian embassy.
this sounds more like provision of Indian Income tax law. I think Indian law makers choose to define the same term differently in each Act lol

Reactions: WelCanada

Bhamarekm

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hi All,

Please find my timelines

1) Purolator pick up : June 9th 2023
2) Application delivered to BLS Brampton :- June 12, 2023
3) Received confirmation mail from BLS and was able to track application on BLS portal :- June 13th 2023.
4) Status changed on BSL portal to :- Under processing :- June 14th 2023.
5) Status changed on BSL portal to :- Processing at CGI :- June 15th 2023.

Not able to track application on https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury.

@abbas.pasha bhai approximately when I will be able to track application on https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury ?

Quick pointers :-
1) I made one draft for BLS (for 3 applications which I send together ) and one for CGI. We can save draft fees :).
2) When we call BSL to generate Purolator pickup label , as usual BLS will try to cheat and apply 2 CAD connivance fee and 15 CAD photo fees without informing. Make sure you ask clearly to charge only Pickup fees. Incase they charge connivance and photo fees call BSL again and you can get reverted.

Thanks

Last edited:

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Hi All,

Please find my timelines

1) Purolator pick up : June 9th 2023
2) Application delivered to BLS Brampton :- June 12, 2023
3) Received confirmation mail from BLS and was able to track application on BLS portal :- June 13th 2023.
4) Status changed on BSL portal to :- Under processing :- June 14th 2023.
5) Status changed on BSL portal to :- Processing at CGI :- June 15th 2023.

Not able to track application on https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury.

@abbas.pasha bhai approximately when I will be able to track application on https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury ?

Quick pointers :-
1) I made one draft for BLS (for 3 applications which I send together ) and one for CGI. We can save draft fees :).
2) When we call BSL to generate Purolator pickup label , as usual BLS will try to cheat and apply 2 CAD connivance fee and 15 CAD photo fees without informing. Make sure you ask clearly to charge only Pickup fees. Incase they charge connivance and photo fees call BSL again and you can get reverted.

Thanks
For me it was roughly a week from when the status on BLS portal said "Processing at CGI" to when I was able to track the application on OCI website. Hope it helps!

Reactions: Bhamarekm