+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas

Can one submit a OCI application for spouse and minor at the center without them being physically there,
Yeah you can submit on behalf of a family member.
But knowing that BLS highlight issues with photographs etc, it’s better to bring them along so that you can save on the trip and next appointment

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Yeah you can submit on behalf of a family member.
But knowing that BLS highlight issues with photographs etc, it’s better to bring them along so that you can save on the trip and next appointment
Hello
Stumped again , while filling the OCI FORM in part B- Has any member of your family applied earlier for OCI ( My son already has a oci from usa ) it asls for file ref # and also date when applied...not sure how one remembers the date of a old application, I only have the oci issuance date !!

nh9522

Jun 8, 2016
Hello,

Can anyone advise on the below please. Applying for OCI based on Indian National parents. They are deceased and I have in my possession their Indian passport for proof.

Issue there is a first name discrepancy of a vowel difference. My father's first name on his passport versus his first name on my birth certificate. The difference is of "O" versus "U" vowel discrepancy on the name.

I am a Canadian Citizen. Please advise of any recourse on the above or will create issues with BLS/OCI department.

thanks in advance.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello
Stumped again , while filling the OCI FORM in part B- Has any member of your family applied earlier for OCI ( My son already has a oci from usa ) it asls for file ref # and also date when applied...not sure how one remembers the date of a old application, I only have the oci issuance date !!
This seems like a new form.. I don't remember seeing this question while filling our OCI forms
What you can try and do is the estimate date of application by offsetting 50 odd days off the Date of Issue. (20 days for acknowledgement and about 30 days for date of issue from the acknowledgement date)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,

Can anyone advise on the below please. Applying for OCI based on Indian National parents. They are deceased and I have in my possession their Indian passport for proof.

Issue there is a first name discrepancy of a vowel difference. My father's first name on his passport versus his first name on my birth certificate. The difference is of "O" versus "U" vowel discrepancy on the name.

I am a Canadian Citizen. Please advise of any recourse on the above or will create issues with BLS/OCI department.

thanks in advance.
To be on the safer side, get a affidavit made for it from a Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths in and around Vancouver, in order to have a heartburn at BLS...

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
Hello,

thanks in advance.
How about mother's passport?

fswaspirant

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
No first surrender needs to be done and then once you receive the surrender certificate and cancelled Indian passport back(this takes between 3-4 weeks) you can apply for OcU (this takes about 6-8 weeks)
Thank you ! Since I have to make a trip to India in May, I am thinking of applying for indian tourist visa instead of OCI to begin with. Couple of questions in this regard , any insights are appreciated.
i) Can I apply for visa and surrender together. Based on this link (https://cgivancouver.gov.in/pdf/FAQs-on-Surrender-and-renunciation-1.pdf), it seems yes. Any experience?
ii) How long does the visa take to come (on an average)?
iii) Any correlation to visa applications and oci? Can I apply for an oci, when I have a valid indian visa? Eventually I want to get the oci, so trying to understand if there are nuances to applying visa first and then oci ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you ! Since I have to make a trip to India in May, I am thinking of applying for indian tourist visa instead of OCI to begin with. Couple of questions in this regard , any insights are appreciated.
i) Can I apply for visa and surrender together. Based on this link (https://cgivancouver.gov.in/pdf/FAQs-on-Surrender-and-renunciation-1.pdf), it seems yes. Any experience?
ii) How long does the visa take to come (on an average)?
iii) Any correlation to visa applications and oci? Can I apply for an oci, when I have a valid indian visa? Eventually I want to get the oci, so trying to understand if there are nuances to applying visa first and then oci ?
You can apply for surrender certificate. But instead of applying for entry or tourist visa through BLS, I would suggest to apply eVisa online:https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html
eVisa should be much quicker in a matter of few days and it costs much less than visas applied through
No correlation. Visa has a validity for stay(max 180 days if you apply for 1 or 5 yr visa) and you require return ticket when you travel. On an OCI you can stay unlimited (its a PR card)

Last edited:
Reactions: fswaspirant

fswaspirant

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
You can apply for surrender certificate. But instead of applying for entry or tourist visa through BLS, I would suggest to apply eVisa online:https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html
eVisa should be much quicker in a matter of few days and it costs much less than visas applied through
No correlation. Visa is have a validity for stay(max 180 days if you apply for 1 or 5 yr visa) and you require return ticket when you travel. OCI you can stay unlimited (its a PR card)
Awesome thanks. So, I can initiate the OCI process, and if its unlikely to come by travel date, I can apply for eVisa a couple of weeks in advance to the travel date. Any gotchas with that approach?

Reactions: abbas.pasha

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Awesome thanks. So, I can initiate the OCI process, and if its unlikely to come by travel date, I can apply for eVisa a couple of weeks in advance to the travel date. Any gotchas with that approach?
Yeah should be ok... with BLS process anything and everything is possible so be prepared and be triple prepared :D

Reactions: fswaspirant

Sudakar

Aug 28, 2017
Can some one help to send me the link or earlier post from this thread for uploading the correct OCI documents relevant now. I tried to search and could not able to find.
We are family of 4 members 2 adults and 2 kids. Thanks in advance.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Can some one help to send me the link or earlier post from this thread for uploading the correct OCI documents relevant now. I tried to search and could not able to find.
We are family of 4 members 2 adults and 2 kids. Thanks in advance.
DaddyG and MummyG
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10335797
Bachaa Party
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10325801

Last edited:
Reactions: SyedAli786