+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Romi123

Dec 6, 2022
That’s what’s I understand
If you get married in India then Marriage Registrar has to attest which most folks do, but if you wanna show this out of India, then you need MEA attestation as well..
Now those who dont have the MEA attestation can CGI/HCI do that attestation instead?. The answer is No... CGI/HCI will say, jao pehle is certificate pe MEA thapaa laga kar laao :( I know this because my next door neighbor who was applying for OCI for his wife under " Indian origin Spouse basis" (since his wife was born/brought in Canada). They only had registered marriage certificate by local authorities in Kerala but never attested by MEA. It took him 3 trip to CGI after which they told him ke pehle MEA ka stamp lagenga..

But marriage certificate is only required if your names are not in each others Indian passport last bio pages
My son’ birth certificate has both of our names as parents. He was born here. Do i still need attested marriage certificate by MEA.
2 years ago when my spouse applied for oci with my older kid. He did not need to include marriage certificate for our kid oci. I am not sure if they have changes their rules now for minor application.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
My son’ birth certificate has both of our names as parents. He was born here. Do i still need attested marriage certificate by MEA.
2 years ago when my spouse applied for oci with my older kid. He did not need to include marriage certificate for our kid oci. I am not sure if they have changes their rules now for minor application.
I think you need to get it done.. But based on my neighbours experience I would suggest you call BLS and get it confirmed.
Rules in BLS change every few seconds in Dec they required 1 photo now I am hearing they want 2 photos per application

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
I think you need to get it done.. But based on my neighbours experience I would suggest you call BLS and get it confirmed.
Rules in BLS change every few seconds in Dec they required 1 photo now I am hearing they want 2 photos per application
I got my son’s (Canadian born and Canadian passport) OCI in early 2020. I had original marriage certificate by respected marriage registrar in my state from India and self attested copy was enough.

Reactions: Romi123

Romi123

Dec 6, 2022
I will be calling them to check just to make sure. Thanks anyways

VikasS

Star Member
Jun 8, 2018
I applied for OCI on 7Jan23 at BLS Brampton (In-person) and got Acknowledgment exactly in 3 weeks.

Waiting for next update. Anyone with Acknowledgment date 27JAN23 got any update? It has been over 3 weeks already.

Application Date2023-01-07
Application StatusProcessing at Consulate General
Processing at Consulate General

Date Of Acknowledgment27-JAN-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI Application StatusUNDER-PROCESS
Hey Did you get any update today? My Acknowledgment date is Jan 30th

Torontosingh

Apr 28, 2021
Hello , Need Help , I am Canadian Citizen and holds Indian OCI, before was Indian Citizen.Recently my spouse became Canadian Citizen ( before becoming Canadian she was Indian Citizen)and she is applying for OCI. Confusion is -In uploading documents as per checklist - does she need to upload docs under the applicants applying on spouse basis OR upload docs as per applicants (adults 18 and above)?? If someone can guide me on this please. Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello , Need Help , I am Canadian Citizen and holds Indian OCI, before was Indian Citizen.Recently my spouse became Canadian Citizen ( before becoming Canadian she was Indian Citizen)and she is applying for OCI. Confusion is -In uploading documents as per checklist - does she need to upload docs under the applicants applying on spouse basis OR upload docs as per applicants (adults 18 and above)?? If someone can guide me on this please. Thanks
Your spouse should apply selecting Self under “Relationship with the root Indian” as she was Indian citizen before having an Indian passport
These are the documents she should consider uploading

• CURRENT PASSPORT - Combine pdf and include (first page) of the Canadian Passport and citizenship certificate(front and back)
  • EMPLOYMENT/ WORK LETTER
  • SPOUSE PASSPORT- Combine pdf and include (first page) of the Canadian Passport and citizenship certificate(front and back) (if you are married)
  • PREVIOUS INDIAN PASSPORT OF SELF - Combine pdf and include (first and last page) of the Indian Passport and Surrender Certificate

Reactions: Torontosingh

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I got my son’s (Canadian born and Canadian passport) OCI in early 2020. I had original marriage certificate by respected marriage registrar in my state from India and self attested copy was enough.
That's great, I shared what my neighbor told me about his ordeal. He went through this 4-5 months ago.
Thats why I suggested @Romi123 to confirm with BLS

Reactions: wincanton

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Updated just a few mins ago

Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn10-FEB-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn13-FEB-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn13-FEB-2023
This is bizarre. I did not even pay for the courier fee
And I got the OCI card (just for myself) delivered by Purolator few mins ago. BLS tracker says: Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping
I still have no clue about the OCI status for my wife and my daughters. On OCI website there OCI is processed and printed on BLS website there is no update other than Ready for Collection. This status was updated on Jan 19 when the Indian Passports were sent back

Last edited:

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
And I got the OCI card (just for myself) delivered by Purolator few mins ago. BLS tracker says: Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping
I still have no clue about the OCI status for my wife and my daughters. On OCI website there OCI is processed and printed on BLS website there is no update other than Ready for Collection. This status was updated on Jan 19 when the Indian Passports were sent back
BLS is appreciating your community service here by delivering OCI at your door :)

pgupta8

Star Member
Mar 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2015
AOR Received.
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
I have the exact same issue. Applied OCI for me, my wife and kid at Brampton BLS, in person. Opted for counter pickup for OCI but originals to be sent via courier. All our OCIs were printed on 11-Feb, but received my wife's OCI by courier (didn't pay). Status for other 2 OCIs is not getting updated by BLS. On phone, they say they haven't received the OCIs from consulate. Any next steps you have figured out?

Reactions: abbas.pasha

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I have the exact same issue. Applied OCI for me, my wife and kid at Brampton BLS, in person. Opted for counter pickup for OCI but originals to be sent via courier. All our OCIs were printed on 11-Feb, but received my wife's OCI by courier (didn't pay). Status for other 2 OCIs is not getting updated by BLS. On phone, they say they haven't received the OCIs from consulate. Any next steps you have figured out?
I called BLS this morning at 8am, the customer service lady said, sir neither of your family members OCI is received at BLS. She said since you applied on Dec 28 you have to wait till end of this month to get the status updated.
Post this call I used the escalation matrix (level II) to escalate the issue for each application

And then at 9:15, Purolator knocks at my door with my OCI :p