+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

asadalirahim

Sep 3, 2019
Hello
My OCI status has same status on the Oci website and it says document received in vancouver on 15th feb, how long will it take to receive my OCI passport ? this whole process was very smooth for me and it took almost same processing time what BLS mentioned. i also paid courier drop off fee and hoping to get my document dispatched soon.
One question - the OCI isn't really stamped in the actual passports right ? It comes as a separate booklet because for me the passport was never taken. It is already processed. I am a little confused when people say passport.

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
Appreciate if someone can provide a feedback on the Entry Visa Form:

Question: Countries Visited in Last 10 years.. Do I include India in the list of countries that I have visited in the last 10 years ?

I have visited India multiple times but on the Indian passport, which I will be surrendering end of this week.
Hi Abbas,

I know you applied for OCI and got it. Did you manage to get the answer for your query?

Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas,

I know you applied for OCI and got it. Did you manage to get the answer for your query?

Thanks
Although we did not applying for Visa (BLS did not allow SC and Visa application to be done at the same time because we only had appointment for SC), but in lead up to the submission day we did fill up the form and included the list of countries visited, but did not include India and Canada in that list.

Reactions: nrc1978

manmohan8932

Nov 19, 2016
One question - the OCI isn't really stamped in the actual passports right ? It comes as a separate booklet because for me the passport was never taken. It is already processed. I am a little confused when people say passport.
it is my first time also so i guess we will find out soon but i know one thing for sure that it is not a stamp or visa for which they need canadian passport to put on. I think it is like a booklet which indian immigration will use along with actual passport for the record of entry and exits and stamps, will find out soon.

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
OCI looks like a Indian passport booklet but it is not a passport. It has less pages but cover and address page looks similar to passport.
No stamping of Indian visa in either OCI booklet or Canadian passport. While travelling to India, take your OCI booklet and Canadian passport.
You will find photos here or google it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Citizenship_of_India

Reactions: asadalirahim

Dev424

Aug 16, 2021
Hi

i am self employed and have my own business so i basically issue job letter to myself which have my company's letterhead and my own signature and everything seems approved and no issue so basically its not very important and all they want to know what you do for work in canada, my thoughts. in my letter i simply mentioned that i am self employeed and list few job duties and thats it.
Thnak you, if possible can you please share the template

Dev424

Aug 16, 2021
Hi

i am self employed and have my own business so i basically issue job letter to myself which have my company's letterhead and my own signature and everything seems approved and no issue so basically its not very important and all they want to know what you do for work in canada, my thoughts. in my letter i simply mentioned that i am self employeed and list few job duties and thats it.
thnak you, if possible can you please share the template

Romi123

Dec 6, 2022
Hello everyone. I am applying for my oci. I will mailing my application. Im in manitoba so my jurisdiction is Toronto. My question is: when i start applying online, do i select ottawa or toronto? As per the instruction on the website, they are asking to put ottawa in that column. Please let me know. Thank you

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello everyone. I am applying for my oci. I will mailing my application. Im in manitoba so my jurisdiction is Toronto. My question is: when i start applying online, do i select ottawa or toronto? As per the instruction on the website, they are asking to put ottawa in that column. Please let me know. Thank you
Manitoba should under the Toronto jurisdiction as per BLS website

Reactions: Romi123

nivek

Feb 24, 2017
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-05-2017
anyone knows the best number to reach out to BLS Surrey, I tried both 778-508-7411 and 778-652-4855 but both get's disconnected.

Sivagin

Nov 5, 2016
My status is showing as (Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping) since 9th Feb in BLS Vancouver. Any idea how long it takes to dispatch. I tried searching by CAN reference in purolator. It's not available yet

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Indian passport surrender - 2 failed in-person attempts (BLS Brampton)
sharing my experience from past 2 days - 16-17Feb'23. my God only knows how badly I want to get rid of ALL dealings with BLS - the mini sarkaari daftar! even though my kids may not visit India so often, I am still gonna go for more expensive OCIs for them so that I don't have to deal with BLS for every entry visa each time! these asses are simply minting money and treating us like shit, the ones who are actually funding their salaries!

1 - we were told by other applicants (even BLS/CGI website said) we need 1 photo
NO - they asked for 2 photos - 1 pasted on the form, 1 additional

2 - it wasn't mentioned anywhere on BLS/CGI website that photos need to be stamped (like for our citizenship appln)
NO - they said the photos need to be stamped with date (studio details not needed, at least that is what the woman said at the counter)

3 - BIGGEST one - we can apply for passport surrender if we don't have a Canadian passport, by giving a declaration
NO - I was refused yesterday (17Feb). even though i argued that getting a passport is an optional step, i already am a Canadian citizen. but no they didn't listen. BLS and CGI websites and even the checklist says that I can give a declaration to this effect. so, i am now waiting for my passport to come.
FUNNIEST PART is that on my 1st visit to BLS on 16th, I was told that I should not write "applied for" in the foreign passport field on the form, rest everything was okay. I visited them again on 17th Feb in less than 24 hours, this time they said (including the girl who I met last time) that they can't accept.

4 - Photos should be from a professional photo studio (but photos taken by a BLS staff in the waiting area from an ancient digital camera are acceptable!!)
Another applicant was refused cos their photos were not clicked by a professional photo studio. He showed the photos to me - they were absolutely perfect. Clicked by his son who's studying photography, and an absolutely normal n clear print which they took at home. This guy saved $80 - 100 by doing so for a family of 4. At the same time we say a BLS guy clicking photos under normal CFL lights in the waiting area, by making the applicant stand in front of a stained wall. This is acceptable?!

rokuamit

Aug 28, 2021
sharing my experience from past 2 days - 16-17Feb'23. my God only knows how badly I want to get rid of ALL dealings with BLS - the mini sarkaari daftar! even though my kids may not visit India so often, I am still gonna go for more expensive OCIs for them so that I don't have to deal with BLS for every entry visa each time! these asses are simply minting money and treating us like shit, the ones who are actually funding their salaries!

1 - we were told by other applicants (even BLS/CGI website said) we need 1 photo

2 - it wasn't mentioned anywhere on BLS/CGI website that photos need to be stamped (like for our citizenship appln)
NO - they said the photos need to be stamped with date (studio details not needed, at least that is what the woman said at the counter)

3 - BIGGEST one - we can apply for passport surrender if we don't have a Canadian passport, by giving a declaration
NO - I was refused yesterday (17Feb). even though i argued that getting a passport is an optional step, i already am a Canadian citizen. but no they didn't listen. BLS and CGI websites and even the checklist says that I can give a declaration to this effect. so, i am now waiting for my passport to come.
FUNNIEST PART is that on my 1st visit to BLS on 16th, I was told that I should not write "applied for" in the foreign passport field on the form, rest everything was okay. I visited them again on 17th Feb in less than 24 hours, this time they said (including the girl who I met last time) that they can't accept.

4 - Photos should be from a professional photo studio (but photos taken by a BLS staff in the waiting area from an ancient digital camera are acceptable!!)
Another applicant was refused cos their photos were not clicked by a professional photo studio. He showed the photos to me - they were absolutely perfect. Clicked by his son who's studying photography, and an absolutely normal n clear print which they took at home. This guy saved $80 - 100 by doing so for a family of 4. At the same time we say a BLS guy clicking photos under normal CFL lights in the waiting area, by making the applicant stand in front of a stained wall. This is acceptable?!
Unfortunately BLS is there to churn your money. Just tell them that you will take some add-on service (like photocopies, photo or courier service) and boom…all paperwork will be good. Even not, they will correct it and will ask for initials on correction!

I complained about their work ethics and behavior to Embassy but you know…all are same, no body cares when it comes to Canada. India-Canada doesn’t Have a lot business dealing. So no one cares !

Next time you go, start your conversation with asking about courier service!

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012

For point 3 I would suggest you raise the issue with the Indian Consulate. BLS is just a courier service which uses a courier service...they have no say once you would show confirmation email.

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!