+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sid8252

Dec 16, 2022
Thanks, @sid8252 . I would be applying in Toronto jurisdiction. Thanks for answering that. However, regarding originals, I was under impression that we do not have to send original. But since you are saying, you had to provide the birth certificate and passport.
No problem. Just to clarify, mine was a postal application. It might be different if you're walking-in or have an in-person appointment, in either case, they verify the originals and give it back to you on the spot.

Reactions: deeps1987

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
It depends on the jurisdiction, I think. I applied for my minor daughter in Toronto and no attestation needed, but had to send the original Birth Certificate and Passport. They will return them after the application status starts showing up in OCI site.
Self attested would suffice for postal application according to the bls agent. Better to have it attested by both parents......

Reactions: deeps1987

djrobinn

Nov 9, 2022
FYI folks... Canadian Passport holders are now once again allowed to use e-Visa service starting December 20th. Of course, this had to happen only after I mailed in paper application and paid almost $200... oh well. Hopefully other folks looking for visa can benefit from this announcement.

visit https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html and click the "List of eligible countries".

• Haha
Reactions: phoenix232

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there anyone here who is eligible for OCI, but not applying for it & instead planning to use visa? I am assuming that only those who will be traveling very less to India will opt for visa instead of OCI. Any other reason for anyone? In terms of cost comparison I think OCI cost is approx 3 times Visa cost.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Is there anyone here who is eligible for OCI, but not applying for it & instead planning to use visa? I am assuming that only those who will be traveling very less to India will opt for visa instead of OCI. Any other reason for anyone? In terms of cost comparison I think OCI cost is approx 3 times Visa cost.
1 year tourist visa - $ 137.82
1 year multiple entry Entry Visa - $162.82
OCI ( Renewed once after you are 50 or when minor turns 20 ) - $ 345

I would still go for OCI if I plan on going once every 2-3 years. Saves time from applying for visa

Reactions: softwaretesting

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Here's my timeline:
1.Walk-in OCI application at BLS Brampton: Oct 29
2.Acknowledgement: Nov 24
3.Processed and received at BLS: Dec 17
4.Dispatched from BLS: Dec 20 (should receive it within the week)

charliep40

Star Member
Oct 23, 2019
1 year tourist visa - $ 137.82
1 year multiple entry Entry Visa - $162.82
OCI ( Renewed once after you are 50 or when minor turns 20 ) - $ 345

I would still go for OCI if I plan on going once every 2-3 years. Saves time from applying for visa
Also other benefits like parity with Indian citizens for job, education and a few others plus short notice travel in emergency same day. Multiple entry that does not require waiting time in between visits. Buying, acquiring Property and inheritance procedure simplifies.

soniyakhan045

Jan 23, 2018
Went to BLS Toronto today. Even with appointment you might have to wait for an hour, before you’re called to the counter. They took my original cancelled Indian passport and said it’ll be returned after 15 days or so. Don’t know the reason, maybe just to take additional courier fee. Also, they are selling you passport cover without asking. Be careful of this scam if you’re visiting the Toronto centre. In the hindsight, I feel I should’ve gone to Brampton

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
My OCI timeline

Walk-in application at BLS Brampton10-NOV-2022
Date Of Acknowledgment30-NOV-2022
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn23-DEC-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn23-DEC-2022
Document received AtTORONTOOn23-DEC-2022

Anakh

Nov 5, 2022
Walk-in application at BLS Brampton10-NOV-2022
Date Of Acknowledgment30-NOV-2022
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn23-DEC-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )
Document received At

urvish29

Star Member
Jun 13, 2017
Oshawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-09-2017
Doc's Request.
18-10-2017
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
22-11-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
28-11-2017
Interview........
PENDING
Passport Req..
02-01-2018
VISA ISSUED...
11-01-2018
LANDED..........
08-03-2018
My OCI timeline

Postal application at BLS Brampton30 Oct 2022
Date Of Acknowledgment25 NOV-2022
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn20-DEC-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn22-DEC-2022
Document received AtTORONTOOn22-DEC-2022

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All, I have query regarding OCI application..

Place of Birth on Indian Passport: New Delhi
Place of Birth on Canadian Passport: Delhi
  • Should I mentioned New Delhi or Delhi on the OCI application?
  • Do I need affidavit for this discrepancy ?
I have an appointment on Dec 28 for the OCI application and your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Hi All, I have query regarding OCI application..

Place of Birth on Indian Passport: New Delhi
Place of Birth on Canadian Passport: Delhi
  • Should I mentioned New Delhi or Delhi on the OCI application?
  • Do I need affidavit for this discrepancy ?
I have an appointment on Dec 28 for the OCI application and your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
There we meet again!
I would suggest using Indian Passport details i.e. New Delhi
I personally don't believe that CGI cares. they are pretty understanding. BLS however is a pain in the ***
They returned our OCI applications after 5 days (postal) citing that thumb impression of my 5 month old wasn't clear and my father in-law's name shouldn't have Late in front.
Pretty sure CGI would have processed all of it. BLS are just minting money. charged me $240 for "application fees" whereas Puralator costs around $30 at max.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
There we meet again!
I would suggest using Indian Passport details i.e. New Delhi
I personally don't believe that CGI cares. they are pretty understanding. BLS however is a pain in the ***
They returned our OCI applications after 5 days (postal) citing that thumb impression of my 5 month old wasn't clear and my father in-law's name shouldn't have Late in front.
Pretty sure CGI would have processed all of it. BLS are just minting money. charged me $240 for "application fees" whereas Puralator costs around $30 at max.
There is an updated Sample form uploaded by BLS: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/OCI-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf