+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

clickmes

Star Member
Dec 12, 2014
OCI submitted in Brampton (walk in) on Sep 27th:
- I am still waiting for the acknowledgment in OCI website.
- BLS website shows " inProgress at CGI on Sep 27th"
Is anyone else in the same boat and submitted on Sep 27th ? Is there any point in calling BLS here?

No point in emailing or calling BLS. You will get the same reply, OCI processing time is 6 to 8 weeks after submit the documents to the consulate and it's subject to approval basis. Anyways I applied for VISA yesterday.

Reactions: pinkysingha

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Got Medical Instructions on 08-Jul after mail to CPP
Med's Done....
10-Jul-2014 (Uploaded 15-Jul-2014)
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-Sep-2014(Initially passport was returned back due to Damaged passport so got reissued and send again)
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
Received my OCI card on 17th October

Applied (BLS Brampton Walkin) : 30-Aug
Acknowledgement on BLS Website : 31-Aug
Acknowledgement on OCI Website : 14-Sep
Document Printed on OCI website :07-Oct
Document Received in TO on OCI website : 07-Oct

Few things I learned which may help other applicants

1) For Name split issue you dont need affidavit , like my Indian passport has surname blank (Given name was like XX YY) and Canadian passport has surname filled with surname YY and Given Name XX.

2) Employment letter is not required , as they dont even look at that in BLS Brampton.

3) Whole process takes around 1.5 months , and its worth going for walkin if you can spare 1-2 hours(reach by 7am and you will be out by 9am).

Frankly i was surprised with efficiency of BLS staff , if all documents are in order it takes less than 5 mins to submit and be done , thats why queue moves pretty fast there.

Finally my Journey with Canada and Indian immigration ended , starting from work permit to PR to Citizenship to OCI card.

pinkysingha

Sep 30, 2017
My oath ceremony is on Nov 23 and I'm flying to India on Dec 14. So OCI application is out of question.

However, I've noticed people applying for entry/tourist visa here. How much time do those take? Assuming I get a Canadian passport quickly, and I apply for surrender cert and visa, do you think I'll get it in 2 weeks? It's cutting it close but not quite sure what else to do. Do I need the surrender cert to go to India or can I pick it up later?

I think as a last resort I'll postpone my trip as the trip to India needs to happen for medical reasons.

I'm in Vancouver so any local timelines will be appreciated
best is to postpone the Oath ceremony by 2 months unless your PR card is expiring or your Indian PP is close to expiry.

nc_positiveguy

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Good news on a Monday morning! My OCI card was delivered by Purolator yesterday morning.

What a journey!

Cheers,
NC
Hi there,

Here is my timeline:

Application submitted by post to BLS - 08/13/2022
Acknowledgment
from CGI - 09/14/2022
Processed
at DELHI - 10/06/2022
Dispatched
from MEA - 10/07/2022
Received
at Toronto - 10/07/2022
Status with shipment tracking on BLS - 10/14/2022 (I had paid for this while submitting the application)
Delivered - 10/17/2022

All the best!
Cheers,
NC

Reactions: T0r0nt022 and ms453

canadian.2014

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
Timeline till now which may be helpful as a reference for people who applied in September first week.

Date of ApplicationBLSWalkin at BLS BramptonOn02-SEP-2022
Processing at Consulate GeneralBLSBLS Application TrackerOn06-SEP-2022
Date Of AcknowledgmentMEAOCI Status Enquiry(ociservices.gov.in) On27-SEP-2022
Documents Printing StatusMEAPROCESSEDOn18-OCT-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )MEANEW DELHIOn
Document received AtMEATORONTOOn

Last edited:

Alokuk692

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Hi guys if status on OCI website says Received at Toronto on 17 Oct , does it mean it's been received on that day at Indian Consulate in Toronto or received at BLS Centre

Jack-Can

Star Member
Aug 8, 2018
Yes, I've the same ack date, ridiculous office. No reachable number.

I think best would be to go to Ottawa and poke them, might help.
hi, did u get OCI card ?
My flight is November 11 , for my file Date of acknowledgement is September 9, Since then no update. Getting anxious now

kaustubhsaha

Aug 9, 2018
Hi

I became a Canadian citizen in July this year. I am yet to receive my Canadian passport though - it's expected to arrive on Dec 1st week. I have surrendered my Indian passport already ( haven't received the surrender certificate yet but will probably get it by end of this month)

I need to travel to India in March 1st week next year. The problem is that I don't have OCI yet ( and I have surrendered my Indian passport already). I'll be out of Canada from Dec 15th -Jan 1st and hence can only start with the India visa/OCI process on Jan 1st week

So my question is:
1. Is it reasonable to expect that if I apply for OCI in Jan 1st week, I'll get it before March 1st week ? Would the fact that I have surrendered my passport already help in shortening the timelines ?
2. Assuming OCI isn't a realistic option, what are my alternate options? Looking at the Indian embassy website, seems like there are only two options - Entry Visa and Tourist Visa - does anybody know the processing time for those? Is it significantly lesser than the processing time for OCI ?

Any help/information is highly appreciated

Jack-Can

Star Member
Aug 8, 2018
Hi

I became a Canadian citizen in July this year. I am yet to receive my Canadian passport though - it's expected to arrive on Dec 1st week. I have surrendered my Indian passport already ( haven't received the surrender certificate yet but will probably get it by end of this month)

I need to travel to India in March 1st week next year. The problem is that I don't have OCI yet ( and I have surrendered my Indian passport already). I'll be out of Canada from Dec 15th -Jan 1st and hence can only start with the India visa/OCI process on Jan 1st week

So my question is:
1. Is it reasonable to expect that if I apply for OCI in Jan 1st week, I'll get it before March 1st week ? Would the fact that I have surrendered my passport already help in shortening the timelines ?
2. Assuming OCI isn't a realistic option, what are my alternate options? Looking at the Indian embassy website, seems like there are only two options - Entry Visa and Tourist Visa - does anybody know the processing time for those? Is it significantly lesser than the processing time for OCI ?

Any help/information is highly appreciated
Hi, your best option is OCI. ( with assumption you have or applied Canada passport )
Once u get surrender certificate, apply for OCI ( before Dec 15 ).
As with OCI application you dont need to submit Canadian Passport.

Reactions: kaustubhsaha

kaustubhsaha

Aug 9, 2018
Hi, your best option is OCI. ( with assumption you have or applied Canada passport )
Once u get surrender certificate, apply for OCI ( before Dec 15 ).
As with OCI application you dont need to submit Canadian Passport.
Oh, I don't need to submit Canadian passport for applying for OCI ? Then it definitely makes sense to apply for OCI as soon as I get the surrender certificate. Thanks for the info.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Thank you.

I ended up applying for surrender cert and 6-month Entry Visa. Decided to not apply OCI as I was worried about processing times.

They said 3 weeks for surrender processing and just 1 week for Entry Visa. They've also confirmed I can travel once I get visa even if surrender application is still processing.

Do you know if I can also apply for OCI while I still have a valid visa? Or should I just apply this once I return?
If you are not in a hurry..then relax. You can aply for OCI later. Visa will be useful for good 6 months , right