+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sandeepnyc

Aug 1, 2017
I am applying for OCI for my daughter who is born in US (we moved to Canada after that). Can someone help me with these?

1> Do we need to send the original passport and birth certificate ? BLS checklist says that but on the phone they say only copy is needed.
2> I have apostilled Birth Certificate from the US state where she was born. Is that enough or do we need to get it attested by CGI Toronto (again conflicting info regarding this at multiple places).

Thanks in advance.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
I am applying for OCI for my daughter who is born in US (we moved to Canada after that). Can someone help me with these?

1> Do we need to send the original passport and birth certificate ? BLS checklist says that but on the phone they say only copy is needed.
2> I have apostilled Birth Certificate from the US state where she was born. Is that enough or do we need to get it attested by CGI Toronto (again conflicting info regarding this at multiple places).

Thanks in advance.
No need to get it attested by CGI - y daughter has a similar profile US born and I just used the apostilled document.

If you are sending by post, I would not send any originals.

sandeepnyc

Aug 1, 2017
No need to get it attested by CGI - y daughter has a similar profile US born and I just used the apostilled document.

If you are sending by post, I would not send any originals.
Thanks for the reply. The apostilled birth certificate that I have (from NJ) is a page stapled on the original birth certificate. Did you have something else?
If you had something similar then did you send the copy of the apostilled page and copy of birth certificate?

ladjenild

Oct 5, 2022
Does anyone know how long it will take to get the acknowledgment email once the OCI application is transferred to CGI?

my timeline is
Application sent top Brampton via Purolator - Sept 19th, 2022
Application delivered to Brampton office - Sept 20th, 2022
Application status changed to the processing at CGI - Sept 28th, 2022
Since then I am waiting for the Acknowledgment email.

ladjenild

Oct 5, 2022
OCI application Brampton (Postal Application)
Application delivery in BLS (Purolator)- Sep 6, 2022
BLS Application Date - September 12, 2022
OCI Date Of Acknowledgment October 4, 2022
TORONTO
I see a huge gap between your application sent date and the acknowledgment date. is there any reason because generally, people are getting it within 15 days of application? I am just asking because I am worried I also applied though postal application and the status changed to processing g at CGI on Sept 28th still I haven't received any email from CGI and I have travel planned in first week of Dec.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Thanks for the reply. The apostilled birth certificate that I have (from NJ) is a page stapled on the original birth certificate. Did you have something else?
If you had something similar then did you send the copy of the apostilled page and copy of birth certificate?
For Birth Certificates issued other than Canada and India, I guess you may have additional steps to follow.

Instruction booklet says this
If Birth Certificate is issued by any other foreign Country than Canada, the Birth Certificate is required to be attested by the High Commission / Embassy / Consulate of that Country in Canada.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
I see a huge gap between your application sent date and the acknowledgment date. is there any reason because generally, people are getting it within 15 days of application? I am just asking because I am worried I also applied though postal application and the status changed to processing g at CGI on Sept 28th still I haven't received any email from CGI and I have travel planned in first week of Dec.
OCI Acknowledgement is usually 3-4 weeks after BLS receiving.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Does anyone know how long it will take to get the acknowledgment email once the OCI application is transferred to CGI?

my timeline is
Application sent top Brampton via Purolator - Sept 19th, 2022
Application delivered to Brampton office - Sept 20th, 2022
Application status changed to the processing at CGI - Sept 28th, 2022
Since then I am waiting for the Acknowledgment email.
What acknowledgement email are you talking about ? We may get a mail from BLS about receiving our application (Check your spam box). Other than that, I dont know of any emails that come .

And as per your dates mentioned, you will see the status of OCI in the India Gov OCI website, coming up as Acknowledged, maybe after Oct 15th.

Atwal08

Jul 6, 2019
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn04-OCT-2022

Document received AtVANCOUVEROn
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn
hello, how long it will take after oci received at Vancouver office.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
My document was from Texas - similar to yours with a page stapled - just send both.

Reactions: sandeepnyc

preethy.wils

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
In the OCI registration form, there is a section for "Applicant's passport details". Are we supposed to enter Canadian passport info or Indian passport info?
I'm confused because the last box asks for "Previous Passport Number" -which passport's number goes here?

Nov 9, 2021
Update from my experience today at BLS Brampton (Building 40), walk-in, for my OCI application, new registration, individual, adult naturalized Canadian.

Before that, thanks everyone for answering my previous questions.

Timelines:
  • Got there at 6.20am. I was 10th in line.
  • At 7.00am there were about 30-35 people in line.
  • By 8.00am there were about 65-70 people in line. About 5 people left because they were standing in line for a visa, including 1 in front of me.
  • At 8.00am, the 8 people in front of me were let in together.
  • At 8.10am, I was let in. During this time 1 person with appointment was let in, plus 3 people sent over from the other building.
  • At 8.22am I was done with my submission, out of the building and on my way home for a power nap.

Note:
  • All originals were checked and returned to me.
  • Outside the centre there is a large printout with requirements and it mentions a COPR for a fresh OCI adult application. BUT inside I was not asked for nor did I present my COPR.
  • The only documents I submitted were as per the latest checklist on the BLS website and nothing else at all, 1 copy of each.
  • I did not attest any of the copies

Hope this helps

maddy_m

Star Member
May 28, 2021
Update from my experience today at BLS Brampton (Building 40), walk-in, for my OCI application, new registration, individual, adult naturalized Canadian.

Before that, thanks everyone for answering my previous questions.

Timelines:
  • Got there at 6.20am. I was 10th in line.
  • At 7.00am there were about 30-35 people in line.
  • By 8.00am there were about 65-70 people in line. About 5 people left because they were standing in line for a visa, including 1 in front of me.
  • At 8.00am, the 8 people in front of me were let in together.
  • At 8.10am, I was let in. During this time 1 person with appointment was let in, plus 3 people sent over from the other building.
  • At 8.22am I was done with my submission, out of the building and on my way home for a power nap.

Note:
  • All originals were checked and returned to me.
  • Outside the centre there is a large printout with requirements and it mentions a COPR for a fresh OCI adult application. BUT inside I was not asked for nor did I present my COPR.
  • The only documents I submitted were as per the latest checklist on the BLS website and nothing else at all, 1 copy of each.
  • I did not attest any of the copies

Hope this helps
I was also in the queue today. I was 18th in the walk-in queue. It was very swift and smooth process. I was out around 9 am.

Reactions: immigrant7