OCI process

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I have travelled to India on a visa with CAD passport. I didn't surrender my indian passport at that time. hope this helps. My understanding is that if you travel to india after acquiring canadian citizenship- you will have issues returning back to canada by indian authorities. I may be completely wrong on this.
So they issued Indian visa without you surrendering Indian passport?

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for opinion here on my situation.

I booked my travel tickets earlier this year for travel scheduled for 25-Nov and received my citizenship certificate on 15 September.

I will get my Canadian passport on 5-October now I am left with 50 calendar days to apply for indian passport surrender (3-4 weeks) followed by tourist visa (minimum 40 days for processing).
I believe there is grace period of 3 months in which one should surrender indian passport.

Had anyone travelled to India after acquiring Canadian citizenship with indian passport in lieu of visa?

Please share your experience or advice.

Thank you
You can apply for surrender certificate & visa at the same time.

mann.jas

Star Member
Dec 1, 2012
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
Nomination.....
20-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-01-2017
Med's Done....
J
You can track it using your application #CANT0……… on purolator tracker.

Hi, I had opted for drop off service after my status had changed to ready for collection. I have received the order number, transaction number but haven't received any email from BLS. The status is currently passport ready for dispatch after oci stamping. Can someone say how can this be tracked as I did not receive airway bill number, it's been more than 4 business days and there is no email on airway bill number. Also, can someone give the correct Brampton contact number, the number on the website is always unavailable.

syeah

Jan 6, 2019
So they issued Indian visa without you surrendering Indian passport?
Yes, i got the first e-visa back in 2019 and one emergency(same day)visa this Jan due to my father's passing. I surrendered my Indian passport in Apr this year. Even though I had Indian passport but i didn't use it while travelling abroad.

agarwal.lalit91

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did a walk-in at BLS Toronto for my OCI application last week. They submitted my and my wife's cancelled Indian passport with the application. From what I have read in this thread, they don't usually keep any originals with the OCI application. Has anyone been through the same thing? Any idea by when can I expect to receive the cancelled Indian passports back by courier?

AshR070591

Dec 23, 2016
I did a walk-in at BLS Toronto for my OCI application last week. They submitted my and my wife's cancelled Indian passport with the application. From what I have read in this thread, they don't usually keep any originals with the OCI application. Has anyone been through the same thing? Any idea by when can I expect to receive the cancelled Indian passports back by courier?
The surrendered Indian passport is submitted along with the application. Its verified and sent back to your address in 1-3 weeks(Ideally the day you get the acknowledgement in the OCI status tracker). Hope this helps :)

Reactions: agarwal.lalit91

UrbanNomad

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for opinion here on my situation.

I booked my travel tickets earlier this year for travel scheduled for 25-Nov and received my citizenship certificate on 15 September.

I will get my Canadian passport on 5-October now I am left with 50 calendar days to apply for indian passport surrender (3-4 weeks) followed by tourist visa (minimum 40 days for processing).
I believe there is grace period of 3 months in which one should surrender indian passport.

Had anyone travelled to India after acquiring Canadian citizenship with indian passport in lieu of visa?

Please share your experience or advice.

Thank you
please DO NOT travel to India on your Indian passport once you have acquired your Canadian Citizenship (in fact once you have completed your oath ceremony to be precise) - you will not be able to exit India since your PR card is cut & gone & you dont have a Canada visa either.

You need to apply for a India Tourist visa (single entry - 30 days validity from date of entry) or Entry Permit (multiple entry, 6 months validity overall). You should get it in time for your travel. You can apply for your surrender certificate and India visit in the same visit to BLS.

PS: surrender certificate has no role to play in the visa process. So you dont need to do this sequentially. OCI is dependent on surrender certificate.

rajesh_verma_jsr

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2014
Doc's Request.
12-05-15 (updated schedule-A for spouse)
Nomination.....
27-11-2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
ECAS updated: 24-01-2015, processing started: 21-01-2015
Med's Request
06-02-2015
Med's Done....
10-02-2015, Medicals Received: 17-02-2015
Interview........
NA (FBI Report reached NDVO: 30-03-2015)
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
Any latest Walk in experience? Planning to go tomorrow to apply for OCI, aiming to get into the line by 7 AM.

pratham1102

Apr 6, 2022
When does the status change on bls from (Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping) to ready for collection? It has been 3 days

msgham

Sep 17, 2022
Any latest Walk in experience? Planning to go tomorrow to apply for OCI, aiming to get into the line by 7 AM.
We went to BLS Brampton on August 26 by 8am. We have close to 70 people in front of us. Submitted our OCI application by 11.30 am. So I suggest be there by 6.30, they open the door at 8am(I think)

rajesh_verma_jsr

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2014
Doc's Request.
12-05-15 (updated schedule-A for spouse)
Nomination.....
27-11-2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
ECAS updated: 24-01-2015, processing started: 21-01-2015
Med's Request
06-02-2015
Med's Done....
10-02-2015, Medicals Received: 17-02-2015
Interview........
NA (FBI Report reached NDVO: 30-03-2015)
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
We went to BLS Brampton on August 26 by 8am. We have close to 70 people in front of us. Submitted our OCI application by 11.30 am. So I suggest be there by 6.30, they open the door at 8am(I think)
Thanks msgham! I will try to be there around 6:30 am.

gill30041965

Sep 21, 2022
I applied online of 7th September and marked for Surrey location. I am trying to see my status and it is always no records found. I have set up an appointment early Nov (earliest available spot). Is the no-records-found normal in this time frame?

Singhsimran12

Sep 14, 2022
Applications status changed to printing. I am hoping to get the OCI by next week.

Date of Acknowledgment 1st Sept
Documents Printing Status Processed 22nd Sept.

Reactions: msgham

msgham

Sep 17, 2022
Applications status changed to printing. I am hoping to get the OCI by next week.

Date of Acknowledgment 1st Sept
Documents Printing Status Processed 22nd Sept.
We applied in Brampton on August 26th. I don't even see acknowledgment yet on OCI website. Is it normal. When we called BLS they said applications are sent to CGI Toronto on Aug 29th.

Is anyone here applied on Aug 26th, still waiting for acknowledgment. Thanks