+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

canadian.2014

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
Sharing Fresh OCI Adult Application experience by Walk-In at BLS Brampton on 2nd September 2022.

06:15 am - We arrived to the BLS Office at 40 Gillingham Drive. I and my spouse had 7 people ahead of us.
08:00 am - The door opened and a person announced that " for Visa applications, please go to 60 Gillingham Drive". By this time at least 60 people were in line behind us.
08:15 am - Applicants were allowed inside.
08:20 am - I and my spouse arrived at the counter. I just provided the photo, money order/ demand draft, checklist, printout of application, self attested photocopies of my Surrender Certificate, Last held Indian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Certificate, Canadian Passport, Employment Letter and Driving License. The agent returned checklist, employment letter and instruction pages in the application. "No originals were asked". I was asked to fill a for for acknowledgement and confirmation for address for both of us. We paid BLS fees via Debit card and the Consulate fees vis money order/draft.
08:30 am - We got the receipt of payment and agent told 6-8 weeks for courier delivery at home. We were not forced for courier delivery but I didn't want to wait another 2 hours for pickup :)

I think all the previous posts where any other documents were uploaded or submitted for this type of application are outdated. Because the agent did not ask for any marriage certificate, CoPR, etc.

Please do not attach extra documents unless requested. Uploading Marriage certificate is required only if you are applying for "Indian Origin on Spousal basis" in which case the marriage certificate has to be attested by high commission of India, etc.

So, avoid the hassle, attach and submit, only what is needed.

If you have time just go to BLS Brampton and confirm with the staff before lining up, at least at BLS Brampton they were helpful in clarifying doubts.

Last edited:

asm314

Sep 7, 2021
Quick question for the group. If my wife is Canadian and is not of Indian origin, can she also apply for OCI through spousal OCI process?

canadian.2014

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
Quick question for the group. If my wife is Canadian and is not of Indian origin, can she also apply for OCI through spousal OCI process?
Yes,
Refer this => OCI-Services (ociservices.gov.in)

• Evidence as spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an OCI Cardholder:
    • Registered marriage certificate; indicating that the marriage has taken place before 2 years on the date of application.
    • AND
      • In the case of spouse of an Indian citizen - Copy of the Indian Passport of the spouse or copy of the Domicile Certificate or Nativity Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in respect of the Indian spouse or any other proof substantiating the status of the spouse as being an Indian citizen
      • OR
      • In the case of spouse of an OCI Cardholder - Copy of the present valid Passport of the spouse and copy of the OCI Card of the spouse and copies of the documents upon which the OCI Card was issued to the spouse.
Registered Marriage Certificate which has to be attested by High Commission of India or any other Indian Embassy / Consulate. The Marriage Certificate must indicate the date of marriage. There should be two years gap between the date of marriage and date of OCI application.

Reactions: asm314

supersurfer9

Aug 30, 2022
Same to same case just application date is different. :)
Minor application from Calgary just applied on Aug 25.
As long as you uploaded one of the parent passport then no need to worry. I asked while applying about mothers passport so don't worry.

What is the status of your application now?
No acknowledgement for us yet.
That's reassuring that one parent's passport is enough. I got the acknowledgment in just 2 days of submission. Strange that you haven't received the acknowledgement yet. The application on OCI status enquiry still shows as 'Under Process'. I hope you get your ack soon..

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the OCI application form:

Do we have to paste the physical photo on top of the printed OCI application form photo? It seems kind of silly to have to paste the paper photo on top of the digitally printed out one.

I will avoid pasting the picture over the printed digital signature but just wanted to confirm with people on this forum.

Appreciate the inputs.

b.arvind87

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the OCI application form:

Do we have to paste the physical photo on top of the printed OCI application form photo? It seems kind of silly to have to paste the paper photo on top of the digitally printed out one.

I will avoid pasting the picture over the printed digital signature but just wanted to confirm with people on this forum.

Appreciate the inputs.
No, we don't need to . I had shared the physical photo in an envelope.

Reactions: ms453

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
No, we don't need to . I had shared the physical photo in an envelope.
Alright got it thanks for letting me know. Just to confirm - your application got accepted right? Just to know the formula works with these BLS folk

b.arvind87

Star Member
Oct 19, 2013
Alright got it thanks for letting me know. Just to confirm - your application got accepted right? Just to know the formula works with these BLS folk
Yes right, regarding the req. documents they might differ a little bit based on the jurisdiction.

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
Yes right, regarding the req. documents they might differ a little bit based on the jurisdiction.
Yeah that's fine. I'm applying by post and sending to Brampton.

nc_positiveguy

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
I haven't received any acknowledgement in the email. I checked it on the OCI enquiry page. :)
At what point should I start to get worried. I am waiting since 13/09/2022 when the application started showing processing at consulate general and I still can’t see anything on the OCI website.

ivikas

Oct 15, 2020
I still don’t see anything on the OCI website. Date of application shows as 13/09/22. At what point should I start to get worried?
Which jurisdiction? Ottawa location, I have read here that there's a delay. But if it's Toronto, you should hear back from Consulate/BLS this week, be it AOR or additional document requirement.

• Wow
Reactions: nc_positiveguy