OCI process

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Hello All, submitted my baby's OCI application via walk-in to Toronto BLS today. 24th in line when I reached at 7.15AM. It appeared that Saturdays are better for walk-ins than weekdays as only until 13th walk-in person was allowed inside on Friday. Entered the office at 12.30 PM. Missed taking my COPR copy and ended up taking a printout of it at nearby internet cafe. Still held my position inside the office afterwards. Had to pay 73$ as BLS processing fee. Was told birth cert original will arrive via courier in 2 weeks and OCI will arrive in 6-8 weeks. Now we wait...
Ugh- a 5 hours wait just to get in the office?

echbee

Star Member
Mar 17, 2017
Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether we need to submit original Canadian passport as part of surrender application or just an attested copy will work?

BLS information booklet says that "Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification". What is meant by "verification" here (verification by BLS agent or verification as part of surrender application process)?

I have an international travel coming up in next few weeks and I need my Canadian passport for that.

ram_v

Nov 19, 2008
Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether we need to submit original Canadian passport as part of surrender application or just an attested copy will work?

BLS information booklet says that "Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification". What is meant by "verification" here (verification by BLS agent or verification as part of surrender application process)?

I have an international travel coming up in next few weeks and I need my Canadian passport for that.
Only Copy, even BLS is not even checking the original document.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi,

It usually depends on the BLS office you're heading to submit the application at Brampton BLS does not take originals but Toronto BLS does for some strange reasons either way SC is processing faster now so you should get it in 10 days max. even if they ask for original.

Reactions: FMCAD

RaghuRam123

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
Hi Everyone
my citizenship application is in process, waiting for oath from July 12, 2022.
i am planning to visit india in September last week, if i got oath invitation appointment in August, September, what i need to do

please suggest best option

a. need to postpone oath date, if it arrived in Aug or Sep 2022?
b. attend oath and apply for Canada passport and India e-visa or entry visa and travel to india, surrender indian pasport in india and return to canada with canada passport

Thanks

Prez2015

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
AOR Received.
12-10-2017
Hi Everyone
my citizenship application is in process, waiting for oath from July 12, 2022.
i am planning to visit india in September last week, if i got oath invitation appointment in August, September, what i need to do

please suggest best option

a. need to postpone oath date, if it arrived in Aug or Sep 2022?
b. attend oath and apply for Canada passport and India e-visa or entry visa and travel to India, surrender indian pasport in india and return to canada with canada passport

Thanks
even if Oath is scheduled in Mid August , you will get citizenship certificate by post within 2 weeks, so it will be end of August before you could apply for passport. If you don't mind camping at passport office overnight and could spare 8 hrs , you will be able to submit urgent passport application and will manage to get passport within 2-5 days, after that you have to submit Indian passport and get surrender certificate (~ 5-10 days) and then visitor visa is the only option and will be too close to cut still manageable. if oath's not schedule before mid August, you will have to postpone the oath , there's no way you will be able to fly out by september last week

Last edited:
Reactions: RaghuRam123

Dr.Shreeram

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
Gents,
RE Toronto Jurisdiction

I want to know the current processing times for Surrender Certificate in Toronto jurisdiction on average, have anyone applied recently and already received it?
Hi

I had sent my documents via outplay or on July 8, 2022 and the process is completed and the certificate is dispatched. Expected delivery date is July 25, 2022

m3us

Oct 13, 2016
I submitted my OCI application at BLS Brampton on Friday and there were only 3-5 people in line. I went at 10:30AM and didn't have an appointment.
I made an error in my application and had to redo it and get it printed there.

Last edited:

aman6699

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Hi... can you please share if there is any update on your file?
No update. Status is the same as Under-Process. I wonder can I complain about this somewhere ? is there any email I can send or a phone number? It sucks that after almost 2 months since I applied, there is no update on this. I wonder why the Ottawa office is not working on my application. What's so complicated in processing this very simple file? Surrendering a passport was so fast, they immediately accepted the surrender just in 2 weeks, but for OCI still nothing after 2 months. This is so unfair beaurucracy seriously. Forcing people to surrender their citizenship but not giving this OCI document on time is something really wrong.

aman6699

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
DOA June 1
processed on July 13
Received at Ottawa July 16

no update since.
I have no idea how it could take so long for Ottawa to send the OCI when in Toronto it’s super quick.

yes this is shocking. I applied 1 june . DOA 11 june. Still same status under-process. Sick and tired of checking the tracker to find out the same status.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
yes this is shocking. I applied 1 june . DOA 11 june. Still same status under-process. Sick and tired of checking the tracker to find out the same status.
I updated couple of days ago about the Ottawa situation.
Their Oci machine is not working.
They are taking the long route of printing in ND and dispatching it here.

confirmed with high commission secretary via email.

Reactions: aman6699

koolbuddy

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
DOA June 1
processed on July 13
Received at Ottawa July 16

no update since.
I have no idea how it could take so long for Ottawa to send the OCI when in Toronto it’s super quick.
hi... I was saying about a friend whose DOA is may 31, they received their kids OCI last friday. It changed to processed July 08. can you check if your status has changed in bls website over weekend or received oci?

Last edited:

koolbuddy

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
ottawa applicant: tierd of checking the status daily, looking forward for tourist visa. have anyone applied for tourist visa from ottawa, or bls montreal recently?
can you please share the timeline.
TIA.