+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

nerd

Jan 15, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,
I am trying to send my OCI application via postal in Toronto as appointment is not available till August end. I need some guidance as the rules on the BLS website are vague and confusing. This is what I understand of the process, request people with recent experience please verify and correct as needed:

1. I already made a DD for $345 in favor of "Consulate General of India - Toronto". Now I need to make another for $7.4 in favor of "BLS International Services Canada Inc" as I intend to pay courier fees online.

2. There is a "Book your postal" link on BLS site. So I shud book a "Pickup and drop off" for the same? Not sure how to pay for the same yet.

3. There is a "get your payment link" on the side. Is this for courier payment?

4. There is no need to send any originals with the application (Toronto). Only self attested copies of all docs required. Correct?

5. What address to send the application? It is not mentioned anywhere?

6. Any other pitfall I missed. Will appreciate anyone with recent experience to guide before I fall into a ditch :)

Thanks all! and best of luck!
nerd.

jj_ind

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2014
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-05-2015
Interview........
TLU: 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
PPR: 17-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued: 03-12-2015
LANDED..........
Landing expected: April 2016
Hello All,
I am trying to send my OCI application via postal in Toronto as appointment is not available till August end. I need some guidance as the rules on the BLS website are vague and confusing. This is what I understand of the process, request people with recent experience please verify and correct as needed:

1. I already made a DD for $345 in favor of "Consulate General of India - Toronto". Now I need to make another for $7.4 in favor of "BLS International Services Canada Inc" as I intend to pay courier fees online.

2. There is a "Book your postal" link on BLS site. So I shud book a "Pickup and drop off" for the same? Not sure how to pay for the same yet.

3. There is a "get your payment link" on the side. Is this for courier payment?

4. There is no need to send any originals with the application (Toronto). Only self attested copies of all docs required. Correct?

5. What address to send the application? It is not mentioned anywhere?

6. Any other pitfall I missed. Will appreciate anyone with recent experience to guide before I fall into a ditch :)

Thanks all! and best of luck!
nerd.
Sharing my experience as my OCI is processed and my wife package is already dispatched from BLS.
Point 1: Correct. 2 separate DD.

Point 2 & 3: My experience - I visited the nearby Purolator office. They suggested me to put a return envelope while sending in our application package. So essentially I'm paying for to and fro at Purolator office. According to them this is the most cost effective method. I have used this strategy while doing renewal of Indian passport long back also recently while doing surrender certificate. BLS used our return envelope to send back.
Note: I'm sending separate package for each family member in this approach.

4. Only self attested copies (no originals)

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
I'm going in for walkin to submit my OCI application tomorrow.
I have all the documents ready to go.
Quick question: I see a lot of people here talking about demand drafts for OCI, I'm assuming I can still pay there by debit card, correct?

Given that I'm applying tomorrow morning at Brampton walkin, can I expect to have my OCI in hand approx. around August 1st week? or is that too early?

jj_ind

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2014
Med's Request
08-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-05-2015
Interview........
TLU: 10-06-2015
Passport Req..
PPR: 17-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued: 03-12-2015
LANDED..........
Landing expected: April 2016
Quick question: I see a lot of people here talking about demand drafts for OCI, I'm assuming I can still pay there by debit card, correct?

Given that I'm applying tomorrow morning at Brampton walkin, can I expect to have my OCI in hand approx. around August 1st week? or is that too early?
Expecting by 1st week of August is bit difficult. I applied on May 06. Expecting my OCI by 1st week of July

Reactions: sundeep_s_

delray55

Apr 4, 2022

No. OCI fee Cad 345 has to be paid only by draft or money order drawn in favour of counsulate general of India (details will be in checklist)
BLS fee and other incidentals (courier/printing etc) can be paid through debit card

Looks probable based on timelines

Reactions: sundeep_s_

nerd

Jan 15, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Point 2 & 3: My experience - I visited the nearby Purolator office. They suggested me to put a return envelope while sending in our application package. So essentially I'm paying for to and fro at Purolator office. According to them this is the most cost effective method. I have used this strategy while doing renewal of Indian passport long back also recently while doing surrender certificate. BLS used our return envelope to send back.
Note: I'm sending separate package for each family member in this approach.
awesome. What address do you send it to?
There is nothing mentioned on BLS website.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Expecting by 1st week of August is bit difficult. I applied on May 06. Expecting my OCI by 1st week of July
okay, are you from Toronto area too?

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
No. OCI fee Cad 345 has to be paid only by draft or money order drawn in favour of counsulate general of India (details will be in checklist)
BLS fee and other incidentals (courier/printing etc) can be paid through debit card

Looks probable based on timelines
:( didn't know about the DD/money order thing.. Good thing I realized before standing in the line there.. haha i'll go to the bank first tomorrow!

Reactions: delray55

Radium

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 28. 2015
Med's Done....
August 18, 2014
:( didn't know about the DD/money order thing.. Good thing I realized before standing in the line there.. haha i'll go to the bank first tomorrow!
You can pay at the BLS office in cash or by debit.
DD/Money order is for postal apps.

User184

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Walk in - Depends on discretion of BLS staff. You should take all originals but mostly cancelled indian passport or surrender certificate is retained. This is based on experience read in the forum
Postal - No originals need to be sent

In both cases you need self attested copies to be submitted with application. Hope this helps
Thank you ☺