+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

KumarJayx

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
Happened the same for my kids. Had applied for Surrender + Entry.
So when you apply for surrender and entry visa together, they process it faster. Basically you just paid a premium for faster surrender....lol
The status above means you will be getting your cancelled passport as well as surrender certificate (which is nothing but a 50cent print on A4 size paper.

Dont discard your Indian passport ever. Never ever do that.

When i was standing in walk-in line at BLS. There was a uncle who wanted to apply for entry visa and BLS asked him for his passport from 1970....
Thanks dushyant2809 and delray55. Thats great news. I can apply for OCI now. No i will not discard my passport. Thanks for reminding. Btw, we can send OCI application through postal right? Just need to send photocopies of all the documents and originals are not necessary. Is my understanding correct?

KumarJayx

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
Currently Surrender certificate is taking a week or so only in Toronto Jurisdiction.
Generally Original passport is returned with Surrender certificate (certificate stapled to Bio page on back.)
Thanks Delray55. The guy at the BLS counter told me it will take 8 weeks to get my surrender certificate.

to_munda

Feb 13, 2022
yeah I just picked up mine. You need authorization letter if you are picking up for you spouse. For Kids you need authorization letter from your spouse too if you are going alone.
Do I need to take anything along for pick up?
When I submitted all my docs, they didnt give me any paper or receipt
as their payment system was down & I paid cash :O

to_munda

Feb 13, 2022
@akbardxb Am really sorry to read this feedback and the pain you have been through. Can you confirm the BLS office you have been to ?

I had a similar situation at BLS Brampton with Appointment on Apr 6th 2022 did SC without Canadian PP. I did some homework on this forum and did understand from the BLS checklist https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php that I need to submit a declaration that I have not applied for Canadian PP at the time of SC application. So I drafted a letter myself and submitted the same along with my application.

They did not accept my photographs giving some lame reasons so I had to redo it there by paying $15 more.

There were a few errors on my application like dates of passport expiry and names etc. the person at the counter informed me that I need to fill up a new application and come back by 1:30 PM and they will accept my application

I went back filled a new application and returned before 1:30 PM I was let in directly by the guard, they accepted my letter of explanation regarding Canadian PP. They did try to sell their postal service, I politely refused and said I will pick up to which they did not say anything.

Tracker updated on 11 May that SC was ready for pickup I came around 2:45 PM and left by 3:40 PM with all the docs.

pick up time is limited so since you are a large group, they may not let all of you in at the same time and your will have to come individually one day each to pick up your cancelled passports

As far as I know 1 person can do a pick-up for entire family as they would only allow one person inside during pick-up hours.

My advise is do not tell on the phone that you want to walk-in without appointment they will only try to sell the postal service. I was in the same situation and I dodged their question by telling that I have an appointment and the person on the phone was quiet.

I cannot vouch for the appointments mix up as mine was a Single applicant submission

Good Luck
Did you have to bring/ show anything for pick up?

dushyant2809

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent
Thanks dushyant2809 and delray55. Thats great news. I can apply for OCI now. No i will not discard my passport. Thanks for reminding. Btw, we can send OCI application through postal right? Just need to send photocopies of all the documents and originals are not necessary. Is my understanding correct?
If you can afford to go walkin, then do that. You will have to send originals too for verification if sending by posting.
Carry all the originals (Even the ones not on checklist) if you are doing walkin.
Walk-in makes sure your application is complete and in case any corrections are needed you can correct and try same day to submit without any risk.

Reactions: KumarJayx

dushyant2809

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent
Did you have to bring/ show anything for pick up?
the payment receipt with application id mentioned and 1 original id proof if picking for self.
For kids, both parents need to go or authorization letter and id proof.

Reactions: to_munda

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Thats sad to hear. I was following your timeline, as mine was one day after yours. Anything you could think of that could take more time for your application.
The only thing that I can think of is that my previous Indian passport was obtained in the US because the older passport was out of pages. I applied under tatkal and may be (just maybe) the police verification was not done back in 2012. This is just a speculation. I cannot think of any other reason. I hope that your application does not get held up. What is your date of acknowledgement? Did you also apply from Ottawa? Cheers!

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
My understanding is you need only self attested photocopies for postal application

Reactions: KumarJayx

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Happened the same for my kids. Had applied for Surrender + Entry.
So when you apply for surrender and entry visa together, they process it faster. Basically you just paid a premium for faster surrender....lol
The status above means you will be getting your cancelled passport as well as surrender certificate (which is nothing but a 50cent print on A4 size paper.

Dont discard your Indian passport ever. Never ever do that.

When i was standing in walk-in line at BLS. There was a uncle who wanted to apply for entry visa and BLS asked him for his passport from 1970....
"So when you apply for surrender and entry visa together, they process it faster."
Is this true? so, I also applied for both SC and Entry visa (1 yr multiple entry) recently at Brampton. do you think the processing of SC will be faster?

dushyant2809

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent
"So when you apply for surrender and entry visa together, they process it faster."
Is this true? so, I also applied for both SC and Entry visa (1 yr multiple entry) recently at Brampton. do you think the processing of SC will be faster?
I believe overall the wait times for surrender at Toronto Consulate has reduced significantly as when i went for my kids surrender at BLS Brampton there were hardly anyone at the walkin line and 3-4 people only inside the office.
Just fyi, BLS Brampton has 2 offices and surrender and entry visa is at building 60

You can keep tracking everyday.
Also, for those who applied for entry visa the tracking on indianvisaonline is not updated and my kids status is still showing under process though i collected my kids passport with stamped visa last week itself. So for entry visa, its advisable to track on BLS website every often if you can.
Surrender certificate status can be tracked on India Passport site where you submitted online application.

Reactions: sundeep_s_

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
It is not true based on my experience

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
I believe overall the wait times for surrender at Toronto Consulate has reduced significantly as when i went for my kids surrender at BLS Brampton there were hardly anyone at the walkin line and 3-4 people only inside the office.
Just fyi, BLS Brampton has 2 offices and surrender and entry visa is at building 60

You can keep tracking everyday.
Also, for those who applied for entry visa the tracking on indianvisaonline is not updated and my kids status is still showing under process though i collected my kids passport with stamped visa last week itself. So for entry visa, its advisable to track on BLS website every often if you can.
Surrender certificate status can be tracked on India Passport site where you submitted online application.
awesome. that's great news.. i really hope i'll get it soon too! yea you're right, I applied in Building 60 as well, and the line was not all that big!

Do you mind me asking how long did it take for your Entry Visa and SC?

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application