AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
So on the OCI status portal it says that the Date of Acknowledgement is: May 25, 2022. Is it safe to assume that about a month from now, the OCI would be ready? Here is my updated timeline:

Application sent to BLS Ottawa (Purolator): April 12, 2022
Application delivered: April 13, 2022
BLS website status-update: May 12, 2022
OCI status update (Under process): May 25, 2022
BLS Ready for Dispatch (Original documents): May 30, 2022
Originals received (Purolator): May 31, 2022
Total number of days elapsed: 1 month, 20 days (50 days total).

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
So on the OCI status portal it says that the Date of Acknowledgement is: May 25, 2022. Is it safe to assume that about a month from now, the OCI would be ready? Here is my updated timeline:

Application sent to BLS Ottawa (Purolator): April 12, 2022
Application delivered: April 13, 2022
BLS website status-update: May 12, 2022
OCI status update (Under process): May 25, 2022
BLS Ready for Dispatch (Original documents): May 30, 2022
Originals received (Purolator): May 31, 2022
Total number of days elapsed: 1 month, 20 days (50 days total).
Yes. Roughly one month, give or take a week. Now it's with MEA, and their time is pretty much standard at about 4 weeks.

Reactions: canadamaple

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Thank you so much fellow applicants. Your support has been invaluable. I will keep you posted as soon as I see an update on the OCI portal. Cheers!

Reactions: Hot2Cold

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
@Hot2Cold @Craxyrider @canadamaple and everyone else on this wild trip... wishing you all minimum stress, speedy OCIs, and hopefully not having to deal with BLS any more. I have indeed noticed that BLS Toronto is worse than BLS Brampton. Think I paid about $200 more than needed, total for 4 applications. It is what it is, I'm not even angry because the timely warnings on this group prepared me for the worst, so at least it wasn't a surprise. Somebody on the group recommended carrying a laptop, which turned out to be excellent advice.

On the bright side, I helped my mom in India apply online for her passport renewal. Clear instructions, simple process, courteous service, and prompt delivery of renewed passport. Very impressed with Passport Seva Kendra managed by TCS. There is still hope! https://www.tcs.com/e-governance-passport-transform-indian-passport-office

Sadly, this is the opposite of what BLS is striving for. More ambiguity and more anxiety for applicants is their goal, as it gives them more opportunities to force us into "optional" services like courier, SMS, needlessly retaining originals, etc.

I applied for OCI at BLS Toronto few weeks back, and was EXTREMELY well-prepared. Learning from the experiences of others on this forum, I carried every possible original document + self attested copy for me, my wife, our children (such as marriage certificate, birth certificates, consular registration document for birth of children outside India, ancient documents / gazette notifications related to legal name change).

The BLS person at the counter was Zeenat. She spent 45-50 minutes (not an exaggeration) making me show EVERY SINGLE document. Ultimately, she found 2 "mistakes" (1) minor discrepancy in my wife's mother's name in the application package vs what was mentioned on my wife's passport (2) I had a name change 15 years back, for which I had multiple supporting documents including gazette notification - according to Zeenat, I should NOT have shown this name change in the OCI application.

Zeenat said I had to fill in fresh online OCI applications for both me and my wife, which I was prepared to do since I was carrying my laptop. But this would take me about 15 minutes to do, so she said it is better I came back another day with a fresh appointment, or join the walk-in line (another 3 hours of waiting).

At that moment, I threw in the towel, and indicated to Zeenat that she was welcome to charge me for additional services. She instantly became extremely helpful. Accepted all "missing" documents via email, personally made photocopies of anything that was needed. She retained our original canceled Indian passports, because apparently CGI Toronto needed to verify whether the passports have been canceled - according to her, surrender certificate issued by CGI themselves is not sufficient proof that our Indian passports were surrendered. (Note that couple of days back I received those original canceled passports back through Purolator, and it is obvious nobody opened the brown envelopes that Zeenat stapled in front of my eyes).

And here was the coup de grace from Zeenat, that convinced me I was in the presence of a mafia don. She asked me to submit a 5 star review on Google, mentioning her name. She asked me to show the wording of the review on my phone, and pressed submit HERSELF. I waited till applications appeared on OCI Services portal, before deleting that 5 star Google review.

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Sadly, this is the opposite of what BLS is striving for. More ambiguity and more anxiety for applicants is their goal, as it gives them more opportunities to force us into "optional" services like courier, SMS, needlessly retaining originals, etc.

I applied for OCI at BLS Toronto few weeks back, and was EXTREMELY well-prepared. Learning from the experiences of others on this forum, I carried every possible original document + self attested copy for me, my wife, our children (such as marriage certificate, birth certificates, consular registration document for birth of children outside India, ancient documents / gazette notifications related to legal name change).

The BLS person at the counter was Zeenat. She spent 45-50 minutes (not an exaggeration) making me show EVERY SINGLE document. Ultimately, she found 2 "mistakes" (1) minor discrepancy in my wife's mother's name in the application package vs what was mentioned on my wife's passport (2) I had a name change 15 years back, for which I had multiple supporting documents including gazette notification - according to Zeenat, I should NOT have shown this name change in the OCI application.

Zeenat said I had to fill in fresh online OCI applications for both me and my wife, which I was prepared to do since I was carrying my laptop. But this would take me about 15 minutes to do, so she said it is better I came back another day with a fresh appointment, or join the walk-in line (another 3 hours of waiting).

At that moment, I threw in the towel, and indicated to Zeenat that she was welcome to charge me for additional services. She instantly became extremely helpful. Accepted all "missing" documents via email, personally made photocopies of anything that was needed. She retained our original canceled Indian passports, because apparently CGI Toronto needed to verify whether the passports have been canceled - according to her, surrender certificate issued by CGI themselves is not sufficient proof that our Indian passports were surrendered. (Note that couple of days back I received those original canceled passports back through Purolator, and it is obvious nobody opened the brown envelopes that Zeenat stapled in front of my eyes).

And here was the coup de grace from Zeenat, that convinced me I was in the presence of a mafia don. She asked me to submit a 5 star review on Google, mentioning her name. She asked me to show the wording of the review on my phone, and pressed submit HERSELF. I waited till applications appeared on OCI Services portal, before deleting that 5 star Google review.
No offence, but how it is BLS's fault if you make a mistake in form?

PS: I do not like BLS, not even 1%.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Is there a specific time of the day BLS posts updates for OCI (regarding transit from Consulate/out for Courier etc.). Mine was processed on May 25th but have not seen any updates since.
@dc_2022 I believe it was updated immediately on BLS portal for me (it was in-person with appointment on May 16th @ BLS Brampton) and 11 days later on May 27th there was an update on OCI portal as "acknowledgement" and "under process". Based on this it seems like they are now getting upto speed with each passing month, the processing times for all applications I steadily coming down at CGI. For me SC was completed within 35 calendar days, OCI in-process and seems to be within 6 weeks if done in person based on the timelines posted by other applicants in this Forum Topic

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
@Hot2Cold @Craxyrider @canadamaple and everyone else on this wild trip... wishing you all minimum stress, speedy OCIs, and hopefully not having to deal with BLS any more. I have indeed noticed that BLS Toronto is worse than BLS Brampton. Think I paid about $200 more than needed, total for 4 applications. It is what it is, I'm not even angry because the timely warnings on this group prepared me for the worst, so at least it wasn't a surprise. Somebody on the group recommended carrying a laptop, which turned out to be excellent advice.

On the bright side, I helped my mom in India apply online for her passport renewal. Clear instructions, simple process, courteous service, and prompt delivery of renewed passport. Very impressed with Passport Seva Kendra managed by TCS. There is still hope! https://www.tcs.com/e-governance-passport-transform-indian-passport-office
@prash42 I agree with you on the system developed by TCS the PSK's are very efficient. I renewed my Indian PP last April in 2021 in India before the 2nd lockdown was blown away at the service. I received the renewed PP within 50 hours from Submission. It was a normal app not even tatkal app

Here, In Canada it would be months for a Normal Application.

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront

Ditto! I helped my mom renew her passport and it was a breeze! The system developed and managed by TCS is way better than what is used by BLS and MEA. My mom had her appointment on May 17th and on May 21st she was holding her new passport. Amazingly fast service.

Reactions: prash42

incan123

Dec 14, 2017
OCI UPDATE: Postal application
Applied for my infant:
Application sent April 17
BLS received April 18th
BLS under process on 19th
CGI no record found on May 5th
BLS under process on May 5th
BLS status changed to Processing at CGI on May 10th
CGI under process on May 10th
BLS sent original passport back on May 15th and status showing sent via purolator
BLS status shows still sent via purolator old way bill number on May 31st
CGI status shows processed and printing on May 31st

rajvijpatil

Mar 29, 2022
Hello friends, Can I travel to India on Entry Visa and apply OCI from India after 6 months? i need to urgently travel India for long term may be 2/3 years.

Please advise.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
OCI UPDATE: Postal application
Applied for my infant:
Application sent April 17
BLS received April 18th
BLS under process on 19th
CGI no record found on May 5th
BLS under process on May 5th
BLS status changed to Processing at CGI on May 10th
CGI under process on May 10th
BLS sent original passport back on May 15th and status showing sent via purolator
BLS status shows still sent via purolator old way bill number on May 31st
CGI status shows processed and printing on May 31st
Which Jurisdiction?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hello friends, Can I travel to India on Entry Visa and apply OCI from India after 6 months? i need to urgently travel India for long term may be 2/3 years.

Please advise.
OCI can be applied in India. but you should be a long term visa. Some places it says you need 3 months validity remaining and some say 6 months validity in existing visa. So in nutshell it can be done if you can arrange a longer term entry visa to begin with.

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Note: 'ordinarily resident' will mean a person staying in a particular country or in India for a continuous period of 6 months.

https://ociservices.gov.in/

One more thing. I believe OCI has to be applied in FRRO offices (popup from above site shows locations) and because of covid i think now they need appointments to visit the office. So you may have to factor in that as well.

Last edited: