+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
You bet, eh. This forum has been so helpful all through our PR journey, followed by citizenship, SC and now OCI. When people (non-Indians) talk about India and Indian administration, a small part of me dies inside because I try to cover up our government's incompetence by making lame excuses. Things are gradually improving in India (for e.g.: my mom got her passport renewed in 4 days - non-tatkal). However, Indian missions abroad have a long way to go. I am mostly shocked by the laziness that emanates from the people working at the HCI and BLS in Ottawa. Hopefully after we all get our OCI, we may not need to go back to BLS or the HCI for a long long time. Cheers, my friend. :)
I can't thank the members of this forum enough for all the help I got through them. The whole process would have been a nightmare without it.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
You bet, eh. This forum has been so helpful all through our PR journey, followed by citizenship, SC and now OCI. When people (non-Indians) talk about India and Indian administration, a small part of me dies inside because I try to cover up our government's incompetence by making lame excuses. Things are gradually improving in India (for e.g.: my mom got her passport renewed in 4 days - non-tatkal). However, Indian missions abroad have a long way to go. I am mostly shocked by the laziness that emanates from the people working at the HCI and BLS in Ottawa. Hopefully after we all get our OCI, we may not need to go back to BLS or the HCI for a long long time. Cheers, my friend. :)
"When people (non-Indians) talk about India and Indian administration, a small part of me dies inside because I try to cover up our government's incompetence by making lame excuses. "

I think all of us Indians can relate to this. Our pride won't allow us to let others talk trash about our country. But deep inside, we know it's true :D, so we make up lame excuses.

asterixfanboy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2021
Another question about this, is the Entry visa different from regular tourist visa we apply? {YES}
how many days can we stay in India with the entry visa? and how long does it take for processing? {based on the length of the visa approved ( i got for six months) and once you apply for it you will get it in 5 business days}

sorry for inundating you with questions.. lots of questions popping up in my head :)

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
My BLS tracker changed to 'Ready for Dispatch'. Does this means that my original documents will be returned back me?

Last edited:

winie

Star Member
Jan 24, 2013
Hi,
I had few questions regarding the OCI process:
1) Is the fees OCI fees now $345 - To 'Consulate General of India - Toronto'?
2) We can't apply for SC + OCI together now?
3) Can someone help verify the checklist for minor
- Online Application form
- Canadian birth certificate (do we need to get it attested?)
- Parent's passport copy
- Marriage Certificate
- Address Proof of parents's
- NOC (with photos attached)
- Canadian passport copy

If both the parent's are Canadian with mother holding OCI - do we need to attach her OCI copy?

Thanks in advance :)

navmish

May 26, 2022
New here... and had a lot of help by reading other's posts with helpful info.

Not sure if it helps, but just saw that there's a consular camp with details below at Brampton and on CGIToronto Site that people can use to get answers on process and have queries.

Consulate General of India, Toronto will be organizing Consular Camp in Brampton on Saturday, 18 June, 2022 to address and resolve various queries related to Consular matters viz, Passport, Visa, OCI, PCC, Surrender Certificate, Attestation, Life Certificate, etc as per details given below :

Venue for Consular CampDateTime
Gurdwara Nanaksar
64 Timberlane Drive, Brampton ON L6Y 4V7
Saturday, 18 June, 2022​
10.00 AM – 01.30 PM

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/alert_detail/?alertid=186

Reactions: harirajmohan

navmish

May 26, 2022
For the Entry Visa timeline, I spoke to BLS Supervisor who told it could end up taking 2-4 weeks currently at Toronto jurisdiction due to Volumes. I had to enquire about this since OCI was taking longer than expected.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Another question about this, is the Entry visa different from regular tourist visa we apply?
how many days can we stay in India with the entry visa? and how long does it take for processing?

sorry for inundating you with questions.. lots of questions popping up in my head :)
@sundeep_s_

Entry visa different from regular tourist visa we apply?

Entry Visa is for Indians who have surrendered citizenship. Tourist visa is for applicants of other country citizens

how many days can we stay in India with the entry visa?

You can stay upto 6 months on Entry Visa in India

I had mentioned very clearly before and this is the 3rd time I am responding to your post on the same question that Entry Visas takes about 7 days to process for 6 months validity, the only way to do in your case is SC + Entry Visa if you have to enter India in June immediately after oath ceremony without waiting for OCI.

sorry for inundating you with questions.. lots of questions popping up in my head

That's fine to have questions I suggest you read the previous posts couple of times clearly to have a better understanding I myself have been a silent reader for the most part of past 6 months since my oath was scheduled and did figure out most of the answers in this blog with out asking many questions. Patience is the key ;)

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
For the Entry Visa timeline, I spoke to BLS Supervisor who told it could end up taking 2-4 weeks currently at Toronto jurisdiction due to Volumes. I had to enquire about this since OCI was taking longer than expected.
@navmish it depends on the validity of the entry visa if it is for 6 months then the processing time is less than 10 calendar days as per BLS Brampton. For more than a year validity it would be at least 25 days to more than a month due to biometrics requirement.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Update on OCI Portal as under-process on 27th May
Applied in person walk-in at BLS Brampton with Appointment on 16th May

Reactions: jj_ind

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
@sundeep_s_

Entry visa different from regular tourist visa we apply?

Entry Visa is for Indians who have surrendered citizenship. Tourist visa is for applicants of other country citizens

how many days can we stay in India with the entry visa?

You can stay upto 6 months on Entry Visa in India

I had mentioned very clearly before and this is the 3rd time I am responding to your post on the same question that Entry Visas takes about 7 days to process for 6 months validity, the only way to do in your case is SC + Entry Visa if you have to enter India in June immediately after oath ceremony without waiting for OCI.

sorry for inundating you with questions.. lots of questions popping up in my head

That's fine to have questions I suggest you read the previous posts couple of times clearly to have a better understanding I myself have been a silent reader for the most part of past 6 months since my oath was scheduled and did figure out most of the answers in this blog with out asking many questions. Patience is the key ;)
Sorry I made you repeat it multiple times. But I just grasped the difference between entry visa and tourist visa. This is amazing information for me. I looked up on BLS, and it looks like entry visa can also be requested for 6 months to 1 year. in which case, if I end up staying there for over 6 months, I can apply for OCI at FRRO in India. So I get SC and 1 year multiple entry visa and I'm set. It suits all my current needs.
thanks your all your help pal. I'll make sure to pass it on to the future applicants!

sandhu111

Sep 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-8-2016
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
3-8-2016
IELTS Request
sent at the time of file submit
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-8-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
Hello guys I am confused with photo specification
On oci website where we upload our photo it says background not supposed to be white
But on BLS oci checklist it says background should be plain white colour
Can someone answer What photo should I use for oci ?
I have lain white photo that I used for surrenderapplication and for indian visa
Can I use the same one ?
please answer me

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hello guys I am confused with photo specification
On oci website where we upload our photo it says background not supposed to be white
But on BLS oci checklist it says background should be plain white colour
Can someone answer What photo should I use for oci ?
I have lain white photo that I used for surrenderapplication and for indian visa
Can I use the same one ?
please answer me
You can use the same kind as used for surrender application. use the instructions in bls checklist