+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

spssg

Mar 14, 2022
  1. In case of applications of Canadian nationals for registration as OCI cardholder, following documents should also be submitted:-
    1. Landing paper/ Work Permit of applicant/ sponsor
    2. If landing paper at Column 19 shows FC (Family Class), then-
      1. Letter from Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board
      2. A notarized affidavit pleading that neither the applicant nor the sponsor has sought Refugee status in Canada
    3. Last Canadian address
    4. Last Canadian Visa copy

https://www.hciottawa.gov.in/pages?id=4&subid=26
In the list of documents for OCI, there is no mention that we need to submit a Landing paper (i.e. COPR) for OCI. Please advise where they have indicated that we need to submit a Landing paper (i.e. COPR)

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Sorry to hear your experience.
I had to fight tooth and nail to get my fraudulently charged courier fees refunded. Had to mail a lot of people, let a lot of reviews in many places.
It is human nature that people usually post reviews when things don't go well or the agency is troubling them.
To offset them I think BLS is now flooding with fake positive reviews to average the overall rating.
We need to find a way to beat the system somehow.

Is it possible that if BLS sends the file to CGI, it may get returned by CGI ?
My application reached BLS on 19 March, acknowledged on 25 March. As of now "Processing as CGI" No update on OCI website.
I need to travel in June. Now I am getting worried :(
Visit CGI , every wednesday they have grievance address for an hour. book appointment as soon as possible.

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Walked in at Vancouver BLS at 8am for surrender, requested pick up and got it in 7 days.
I set an alarm at 2pm & 7pm Pacific daily to get an appointment,just got one (under visa category as i had toggling between OCI & visa to trigger a refresh of appt slots).
On the day of the appt, the security guard asked to show my appt email, i did (on my phone) and he asked "only one application right?", I said yes and proceeded to collect my token and wait in the waiting room. I actually had 3 OCI applications

At the time of the appt, the BLS agent started working on my first OCI application when I mentioned I have another 2, the agent was pretty upset about it and pushed back saying I need to take one appointment for each app, I mentioned the difficultly in getting the appts and pleaded to complete all 3, all my paperwork was in order and took about 5 mins to complete, I requested again saying that it took 5 mins to complete one app, the appt is for 15 mins, the agent pushed back saying, there are 2 appts in each 15 min window (not sure if this is true), at most they can do 2 applications in one slot (if all paperwork is in order) and I have to take a walkin token and wait for the rest.
I said okay and requested the 2 applications to be processed and I will take the walkin token for the 3rd one.

I went to the security guard for the walkin token for OCI and he outright refused "no walkin for OCI, only with appointment or postal"
I insisted that the agent asked me to get a token for OCI, so he asked the agent and reluctantly gave me a token.

I waited for 2 hours and got my turn, completed my application and thanked the agent.

Its been such a long time since I litterally begged a "babu" to get my work done.
I guess it all boils down to the power imbalance that inefficient systems bestow on these agents. Such a rent seeking behaviour.

Anyways, I will end my rant and list out key points that might help others

• The only originals that were asked are the passports (Canadian and the cancelled Indian one)
  • I had trouble getting the photo/signature uploaded, followed this
    and used the preview app on mac to get it sorted
  • The city of birth in the application form is just the city, did not include the state or "IND"
  • I just attested every photocopy of every document, did not write "I certify... " or date them.
  • I included marriage cert, birth certificate (for kid) and copies of both IDs for address proof (for kid), attested by both parents for kid's application.
It is this attitude of theirs that really makes my blood boil. I will not get into the politics, but this is no way to treat fellow Indians. I am sorry that you had to put up with their typical babu sarkai naukrii attitude.

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
In the list of documents for OCI, there is no mention that we need to submit a Landing paper (i.e. COPR) for OCI. Please advise where they have indicated that we need to submit a Landing paper (i.e. COPR)
In the latest checklist it is not mentioned. However some fellow applicants have advised me to include a photocopy for good measure. Some uploaded it under the Indian Visa category.

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Reactions: delray55

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Visit CGI , every wednesday they have grievance address for an hour. book appointment as soon as possible.
i would suggest to visit the bls center and figure out. iam not justifying what they are doing but given the track record it would be highly advisable to handle things face to face.
You could have gotten the entry visa easily assuming one of child's parent/grandparent is/was Indian citizen

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Yes its no where mentioned on the checklist to upload COPR under Indian Visa Category, but today when I submitted my OCI application I have been questioned as what did I uploaded under Indian Visa Category for which I said COPR and the agent accepted that.

Reactions: delray55

smitsmart

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23-05-2017
Med's Done....
30-06-2017
LANDED..........
21-10-2017
why does BLS Winnipeg have no appointments?? And the calendar doesn't go further than May,

prt22

Star Member
Nov 7, 2017
It is this attitude of theirs that really makes my blood boil. I will not get into the politics, but this is no way to treat fellow Indians. I am sorry that you had to put up with their typical babu sarkai naukrii attitude.
The worse part is that bls staff here are most likely Canadian citizens. So they are screwing over their fellow Canadian citizens of Indian origin :(

• Sad
Reactions: canadamaple

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
The COPR was required in a previous checklist, and was to be updated to the Indian Visa Section as @canadamaple mentioned, but now that requirement seems to be removed. But please include a copy with your application and let them decide to keep or return it.

Edit: I posted about this a little while ago. I have linked the prior checklist and instructions to upload to India Visa in the post.

Last edited: