+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014
Is there a post that details the process, I dont think once i am in the same boat and looking for information would have time to go through 450 pages of conversation, may be the few processes that are in demand need to be pinned at the top

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Is there a post that details the process, I dont think once i am in the same boat and looking for information would have time to go through 450 pages of conversation, may be the few processes that are in demand need to be pinned at the top
I am assuming you mean the OCI Process.

Start here: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-application/
Then go here: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/ocihome.php OR https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/oci-services.php OR https://www.blsindia-canada.com/vancouver-jurisdiction/index.php depending on your jurisdiction.
Start entering your application here: https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome

It's a relatively simple process and pretty self explanatory. Ask any specific questions here and I am sure many of will be more than willing to help you.

Mr Dev

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Appointments showing open at Brampton BLS center if anyone wants to book !!

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
As member @Hot2Cold explained its self explanatory , Ask specific questions on the forum- people will answer.
As for going through start from page 350 which is relevant now. Anything before 350 page is outdated.

Reactions: Hot2Cold and vvarma

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
@vivek.89 i just got this as reply to my Sampark query -> "normal processing time of 6 weeks"

which is funny as its already been 6 weeks! lol. typical. looks like its a longer wait for us :(
This is so frustrating. Sorry to hear that.

My Sampark didnt reply anything yet- but BLS turned "In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre" today evening.

I hope your status changes soon.

crazycitizen

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
Experts, sorry if question is too stupid ;)
After getting Canadian passports, my understanding is that first we need to follow Indian PP surrender process & then after getting this, we apply for OCI process. Is that correct?

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Experts, sorry if question is too stupid ;)
After getting Canadian passports, my understanding is that first we need to follow Indian PP surrender process & then after getting this, we apply for OCI process. Is that correct?
Depends on your Jurisdiction:
Ottawa/Toronto = Your understanding is correct
Vancouver = Both SC + OCI can be applied at one go.

Reactions: Mr Dev and Hot2Cold

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
For in person submission at Brampton location, we need to get 2 drafts (345 and 7.4)?
or only 1 draft of 345 and 7.4 needs be paid by card or cash?

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes but there are good reasons not to.

1. You can only use this option if you haven't got your Canadian passport yet. If you get your Canadian passport and then use your Indian passport, you'll have to pay the penalty even if the trip was within 3 months of getting citizenship AFAIK.

2. You need a Canadian passport to get back to Canada. You are not even eligible for special authorization since Indian passport doesn't provide visa free entry into Canada.

3. Even if you plan to apply for Canadian passport in India (and you need the citizenship certificate to do this), you can't use that to fly back to Canada from India because you need an exit visa to exit the country on a different passport from the one you entered with. You cannot get an exit visa unless you surrender your Indian passport.

All this will take a lot of time. Unless you are planning to stay in India for a minimum of 2 - 3 months or more, don't use this option.

4. You will have to go through a risky journey of booking a separate ticket from India to Dubai and another ticket for Dubai to Canada. Depending on your situation, you might need a visa to enter Dubai on your Indian passport. When you land in Dubai, you show your Canadian passport on entry and get visa free entry and then board your flight from Dubai to Canada. Very complicated and risky. Doing this is NOT recommended.

So, unless it is an absolute emergency, postpone whatever trip you have, apply for a Canadian passport, surrender your Indian passport and apply for either OCI or entry visa and then visit India.

Good luck.
I found this text in invitation for Oath:

You (and any family member associated to your application) will be asked to cut up
your Permanent Resident card(s) during the ceremony with an employee. If you
need to travel urgently and will require your Permanent Resident card to return to
Canada, contact us as soon as possible with details. Please be aware that we may
not be able to process your request urgently; you may wish to postpone your citizenship
ceremony temporarily. Also read the “Information about Passports” below.

Does this mean that they may allow to attend oath without asking to cut PR card? If they allow not to cut PR Card, are there any possible challenges?

We may fall in this category. We may get oath ceremony scheduled for June-end & we are traveling to India in June-end. We will be returning in 1st week of Sept, Via Dubai. Looking at delays at each stage we may not be able to get Canadian Passport & Indian visa on time.

Mr Dev

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You (and any family member associated to your application) will be asked to cut up
need to travel urgently and will require your Permanent Resident card to return to
Canada, contact us as soon as possible with details. Please be aware that we may
not be able to process your request urgently; you may wish to postpone your citizenship

Does this mean that they may allow to attend oath without asking to cut PR card? If they allow not to cut PR Card, are there any possible challenges?

We may fall in this category. We may get oath ceremony scheduled for June-end & we are traveling to India in June-end. We will be returning in 1st week of Sept, Via Dubai. Looking at delays at each stage we may not be able to get Canadian Passport & Indian visa on time.
they will not allow you to attend oath without cutting your PR card .If you have to absolutely travel you can tell them to postpone your ceremony.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

They will likely ask you to postpone the ceremony. There isn't any reliable press (at least none that I know of) to suggest they will let you keep (let alone allow you to travel with PR card after ceremony). If someone has any reliable information about this, this would be a good place to share.