+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Hello, I am in a similar situation as you. I am also planning a trip around May 10 and still waiting for surrender certificate. I am planning for Entry Visa. Please let me know what you find out about applying for visa without surrender certificate.
You dont need surrender certificate for Entry Visa.

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Hello, I am in a similar situation as you. I am also planning a trip around May 10 and still waiting for surrender certificate. I am planning for Entry Visa. Please let me know what you find out about applying for visa without surrender certificate.
Hello, Yesterday I called BLS call canter (Probably located in India) and asked about Entry visa as the new checklist suggested that we need to have Surrender certificate for Entry visa.
The lady on call told me that, I can declare in a letter that I applied for SC and go ahed with the process for applying Visa.
I am not going to rely on her answer completely as different people says different thing and they then return application for some silly excuse.I will be waiting for another week to see if my SC gets delivered to me. In a mean time I also opened a query on Sampark Portal . Will keep you posted. You also let me know If you receive your SC.

Reactions: Hot2Cold

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks @tm.bilal for the heads up about the Sampark link for Surrender Certificate enquiries. I have raised my query, and will update when I get a response either from them or when I see movement on my application.

As of writing this, my certificate has been printed 13 days ago, and not yet shipped out. And it's been 33 days since CGI received the application.

Reactions: vivek.89

Nkrumah

Mar 1, 2022
Toronto
Resumption of Open House Sessions at the Consulate from March 30, 2022

The Consulate shall be resuming Open House sessions from 30 March, 2022. They will be held every Wednesday between 3.00 PM and 4.30 PM. Applicants should register at https://forms.gle/eGkYHWz7msKZagsz8 to meet Consulate officials regarding queries related to OCI, Visa, Passport, Police Clearance Certificate and Attestation. Registration will be on first come first serve basis per session.

More details here > https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/alert_detail/?alertid=193

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
FYI

UPDATE ON CGI

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/

it is a Pop up on the screen

NOTICE

Tourist Visa (with one month validity) on gratis basis is scheduled to be discontinued with effect from April 01, 2022.

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
UPDATE: Collected my SC from BLS Vancouver at 4.30 PM. I was in and out within 2 minutes. Total 10 days from walkin.
Also checked with the officer for "actual time" for OCI @ Vancouver = 2 months!

Full SC timeline below:

19 March- Submitted surrender @ Vancouver BLS via walkin
19 March - BLS Status: Surrender Application sent to CGI
20 March - Passport Portal Status: Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
24 March - BLS Status: Processing at Consulate General
24 March - Passport Portal Status: Surrender certificate has been printed
25 March - BLS Status: In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre
28 March- BLS Status: Ready for Collection
29 March - Collected SC + cancelled Passport.
Hi vvarma, quick question.

For this whole surrender / OCI process - what are the 'original' documents (except Indian passports) you need to submit and leave at BLS? Given their reputation, I find it scary to leave originals with them.

kdham

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Hi All
This is my time line, questions follow
Sent docs via Purolator to BLS - 18th MAR
Recd by BLS - 19 MAR
Status Updated on BLS - March 23 (that docs recd on march 19)
Next update on BLS - March 25 (Underprocess).

Questions -
1.) In how many days can I start tracking the status on the OCI website?
2.) Is it only the Passport # and the Online application reference number starting in CANTXX required? Currently when I check with these 2 numbers it says no such record found. I understand there is a few days/ weeks delay before you can check the status on OCI website. Just trying to understand approx how long does it take?
3.) What would be the first status on OCI?

Thanks,
PS - for those who are unhappy with the BLS courier charges, I ended up paying them 104CAD as they fraudulently charged me for return of original documents as well. I raised a complain, emailed them, sent tweets, tagged many agencies, sent email to floor supervisor, called BLS CC agent and asked him to talk to his floor manager. Finally got the email that the money would be refunded. Even if the purolator shipping label is generated but you have not used it, you can still get your money back.

Next time - I asked the BLS agent to charge me only for pick up and drop off of the packets. I was not sure if they flag applications for rejection on stupid reasons, main one being, declining their courier service. He said 83$. The CC agent added 5$ voice mail fees, got that removed as well and some more haggling. Eventually ended up paying 60$. If anyone has any questions, please PM me. Happy to help.
For #1, i had heard 15-20 days. Personally, i submitted my kids OCI application in person at Brampton office on March 9th and still don't see status in OCI website. So definitely taking bit longer now.

Reactions: OldH1B

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hi vvarma, quick question.

For this whole surrender / OCI process - what are the 'original' documents (except Indian passports) you need to submit and leave at BLS? Given their reputation, I find it scary to leave originals with them.
For Walkins/Appointments - only Indian Passport. I believe the same is true for postal these days.

Reactions: i6evx5e8

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
For Walkins/Appointments - only Indian Passport. I believe the same is true for postal these days.
OCI, it depends on Juridiction i see, for Ottawa, This was on the checklist

(c) Surrender / Renunciation Certificate (copy)
(d) Indian Passport (Original and Copy)
(e) Foreign Citizenship certificate (Original and Copy)
(f) Canadian passport / Foreign Passport (Original and copy) (duly signed)

i don't see any availability at Montreal BLS office to book appointment, i am waiting to see if there is any availability in June 2022.

P.S. Sad part is getting an Indian passport is much easier than surrendering Indian passport and getting OCI. Hope they change the rules and make it more convinent for the process.

Reactions: i6evx5e8

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
OCI, it depends on Juridiction i see, for Ottawa, This was on the checklist

(c) Surrender / Renunciation Certificate (copy)
(d) Indian Passport (Original and Copy)
(e) Foreign Citizenship certificate (Original and Copy)
(f) Canadian passport / Foreign Passport (Original and copy) (duly signed)

i don't see any availability at Montreal BLS office to book appointment, i am waiting to see if there is any availability in June 2022.

P.S. Sad part is getting an Indian passport is much easier than surrendering Indian passport and getting OCI. Hope they change the rules and make it more convinent for the process.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but besides the Indian Passport, I don't think that they retain docs under e/f in Ottawa.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks @tm.bilal for the heads up about the Sampark link for Surrender Certificate enquiries. I have raised my query, and will update when I get a response either from them or when I see movement on my application.

As of writing this, my certificate has been printed 13 days ago, and not yet shipped out. And it's been 33 days since CGI received the application.
@tm.bilal and @richieP

I did not get any response on email from CGI Toronto, but when I logged in tp the Sampark Enquiry Seacrh, I saw a one line response from CGI that says would be dispatched.

Did either of you get an email response, or have you checked the response form CGI on the link above?