+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hello, I have applied for surrender certificate(via postal) in 1st week of February and status is showing as "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." from 22nd February. Its been a month and status is not changing in both BLS(Processing at consulate) and Consulate website.

Anyone in same boat? Please suggest if its normal?
I applied in second week of Feb and received it last week.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi All
This is my time line, questions follow
Sent docs via Purolator to BLS - 18th MAR
Recd by BLS - 19 MAR
Status Updated on BLS - March 23 (that docs recd on march 19)
Next update on BLS - March 25 (Underprocess).

Questions -
1.) In how many days can I start tracking the status on the OCI website?
2.) Is it only the Passport # and the Online application reference number starting in CANTXX required? Currently when I check with these 2 numbers it says no such record found. I understand there is a few days/ weeks delay before you can check the status on OCI website. Just trying to understand approx how long does it take?
3.) What would be the first status on OCI?

Thanks,
PS - for those who are unhappy with the BLS courier charges, I ended up paying them 104CAD as they fraudulently charged me for return of original documents as well. I raised a complain, emailed them, sent tweets, tagged many agencies, sent email to floor supervisor, called BLS CC agent and asked him to talk to his floor manager. Finally got the email that the money would be refunded. Even if the purolator shipping label is generated but you have not used it, you can still get your money back.

Next time - I asked the BLS agent to charge me only for pick up and drop off of the packets. I was not sure if they flag applications for rejection on stupid reasons, main one being, declining their courier service. He said 83$. The CC agent added 5$ voice mail fees, got that removed as well and some more haggling. Eventually ended up paying 60$. If anyone has any questions, please PM me. Happy to help.

rhi

Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Aug-15
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
Nomination.....
06-July-15
AOR Received.
09-Nov-15
IELTS Request
Submitted with Package
File Transfer...
30-Nov-15
Med's Request
02-Feb-16
Med's Done....
5-Feb-16, ECAS updated 25-feb- 16
Passport Req..
DM on 3 mar 16 & PPR on 7 th march 16
VISA ISSUED...
15th Mar 16
LANDED..........
Very Soon
Hi,
Can someone help me for below questions related to OCI application,
OCI application centre: Winnipeg
1. Should we have to bring kids for application centre? ( 3 and 12 year old)
2. Should the photograph be recently taken? I mean do they verify date on the back?
3. My son had recently got renewed his Indian passport before we got Canadian citizenship… can we use the same picture which we used for renewed Indian passport for OCI?

plz confirm…
Thanks

Last edited:

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi,
Can someone help me for below two questions related to OCI application,
2. Should the photograph be recently taken? I mean do they verify date on the back?

plz confirm…
Thanks
I can answer the #2 - this is not CA passport, so no stamp or date required behind photo. For my kids OCI I took a picture on my phone, printed from staples and sent it to them. it worked

https://makepassportphoto.com/

Reactions: rhi

rhi

Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Aug-15
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
Nomination.....
06-July-15
AOR Received.
09-Nov-15
IELTS Request
Submitted with Package
File Transfer...
30-Nov-15
Med's Request
02-Feb-16
Med's Done....
5-Feb-16, ECAS updated 25-feb- 16
Passport Req..
DM on 3 mar 16 & PPR on 7 th march 16
VISA ISSUED...
15th Mar 16
LANDED..........
Very Soon
I can answer the #2 - this is not CA passport, so no stamp or date required behind photo. For my kids OCI I took a picture on my phone, printed from staples and sent it to them. it worked

https://makepassportphoto.com/
Thanks for answering my question no. 2… cheers

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hi,
Can someone help me for below questions related to OCI application,
3. My son had recently got renewed his Indian passport before we got Canadian citizenship… can we use the same picture which we used for renewed Indian passport for OCI?

plz confirm…
Thanks
(1) You dont need to take your Kids but if you are driving to BLS Centre then I would recommend you take them and leave them in the car as I did the same.

Reactions: rhi

smitsmart

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23-05-2017
Med's Done....
30-06-2017
LANDED..........
21-10-2017
is there anyway we can push our Surrender application if it says Granted, available for issuance? Can we call or something?

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
is there anyway we can push our Surrender application if it says Granted, available for issuance? Can we call or something?
That's what I am wondering bro. Mine stuck in this status since Mar 13. let me know if you find anything out.

Rana Singh

Feb 17, 2022
Guys, my OCI was applied on 9th Feb 2022 and still BLS says processing at consulate. I thought the processing time was 6 weeks for OCI. It's already been delayed as I had to wait 5 weeks for Surrender of passport and then apply for OCI, and now OCI has been 8 weeks and still processing at consulate.
Anyone, still waiting for OCI after 8 weeks and whats the average wait time now.
You should check your status on oci gov india website need passport number and file reference number .

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Does someone know when new OCI appointment slots will open on BLS Canada website? It seems to be completely booked everywhere till May 31.

ars999

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Does someone know when new OCI appointment slots will open on BLS Canada website? It seems to be completely booked everywhere till May 31.
No appointment needed after May i believe and follows Pre-COVID scenario... Only walk-ins after May 2022..