+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got my OCI card booklet today via purolator in record time! a little less than a month from application ..
BLS Brampton did an excellent job, I dealt with two people at the counters, one for surrender of Indian passport, and one for OCI app.
Both were excellent and professional, thank you BLS and CGI!
Only complaint I have is with the quality of the photo and OCI booklet, but who cares lol! it's done ;)
Congrats on getting your OCI so quickly. Less than a month is awesome indeed! I had a pretty good experience at BLS Brampton as well (the same person at the same counter helped me with both Indian passport surrender as well as OCI applications). I am hoping to receive my OCI as quick as you did!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Since everyone just ignored this question lets try it again!
It is important, as it pertains to proving a common law relation in Canada for OCI application .. I'm sure there are many out there in Canada who require this answer but it's not addressed anywhere on Google searches, BLS website, Indian govt websites, etc .. there is nothing on how to handle this.

Only found one thread where someone asked this question, but that part of the question was also conveniently ignored, and other aspects answered ..
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/regarding-oci-application-for-my-wife-and-son.427812/

One of the documents required for OCI is a marriage certificate, but in Canada, bonafied Common Law relations are same as marriage .. so what document needs to be submitted in lieu of a marriage certificate, to prove a common law relationship ?
Does India recognize common law relationships for OCI purposes?

After thinking about this, I thought of making an affidavit, run it through a commissioner of oaths, notary, to mention the length of the relationship, if any kids, any other particulars, etc, and attach copies of proof such as ID's, definition of common law relationship as defined by the Canadian government, etc ..

I'll be phoning BLS directly on this tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone went through same situation, and successfully got OCI ..
Please share your experience/advise/what documents you submitted exactly ..
BTW, I recently became a Canadian citizen this December ..
This is a grey area. As such, unfortunately, India does NOT recognize common law relationship. I checked the following link -

http://www.ociregistration.com/oci_eligibility.htm

Point 7 reads as follows -

Spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an Overseas Citizen of India card holder registered under section 7A and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application under this section: Provided that for the eligibility for registration as Overseas Citizen of India card holder, such spouse shall be subjected to prior security clearance from a competent authority in India.
There is no mention of 'Union' or 'Common-law' relationship and the only term they use is ''Marriage".

I also found this -

https://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/propertydiv/married-or-common-law-does-it-make-difference

And this is what it reads...

Couples who live together as spouses, but have not legally married each other, are sometimes said to be living “common-law”. Living together for many years, having children together, or referring to each other as "husband", "wife", or "spouse" does not make these couples legally married to each other.
In addition to the above, the OCI checklist explicitly mentions "marriage certificate".

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Toronto-OCI-Checklist-Rev-11-0-Oct-2018.pdf

It reads -

Marriage Certificate: If the Marriage Certificate is issued by the Canadian Authorities (longer version), it should be first authenticated by the concerned Provincial’s Ministry of Services and thereafter attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto. In case of Marriage Certificate issued by other Foreign Governments, it should be endorsed by the concerned
Diplomatic Mission and thereafter attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto. Once attested, it should be uploaded online under ‘Marriage Certificate’. (Please refer to ‘Marriage Certificate’ section in this checklist).
More information is also provided in the checklist -

If married in Canada / Outside of India:
For those married in Canada, Marriage Certificate issued by the Ministry of the respective province to be further authenticated by the Provincial Government (for example- if married in Ontario- You may get it authenticated by Ministry of Services, Ontario: Link here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/authenticate-document-use-outside-canada#section-2 ) and then attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto.
In case the Marriage Certificate is issued by other Foreign Governments, it should be authenticated by that concerned Diplomatic Mission in Canada then further attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto_Once attested, only then upload the Marriage certificate online.
Please note: Marriage licenses are NOT accepted.
Though common law relationship is valid in Canada, my take is that it is not "valid" for the purposes of getting an OCI. Based on the above information, it is safe to assume that this is not possible but you can always check with the officials at the embassy or with the BLS staff to be absolutely sure.

Peace.

Last edited:

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
Got my OCI card booklet today via purolator in record time! a little less than a month from application ..
BLS Brampton did an excellent job, I dealt with two people at the counters, one for surrender of Indian passport, and one for OCI app.
Only complaint I have is with the quality of the photo and OCI booklet, but who cares lol! it's done ;)
Congrats ,
I am pretty sure that you have opted for BLS's value-added OCI service and courier services that why they were so nice to you :).
I didn't opt for their services so my experience with BLS agent was other way round.

Ponnaps

Jan 27, 2019

Looks like GoI MHA has made several updates to online application portal and made the process much more simpler for standard applications ( I say this in comparison to the sample filled out application form on BLS website)

1. Marriage Certificate
As per the updated application portal, when you select marriage certificate to upload, it specifically tells you that MC is required ONLY for OCI application based on Spouse OCI... Im not sure if this was always the case but its pretty clear now when MC is actually required

2. Another interesting update , after Part A is filled, it no more asks you whether you want to apply for another family member. It goes straight to Part B.
For next family member, you start a fresh application from the start. So looks like husband and wife are being treated as independent applications with no link between the two. Again Im not sure if this was always the case but this is a welcome update. No more link between husband/wife application means there's no need for them to see a MC.

3. Lastly after submitting online application, it generates a pdf with the filled out application form. This now has your photo on it!! Does it mean you don't have to affix the photo??

4. In same PDF after the application form, there are some final instructions. Here again MC is mentioned only for Spouse OCI based OCI application not for standard application

Im not sure how much of these updates were already there. Above assessment is based on comparing with the sample filled out form on BLS website. Recent applicants may please advise.

PS - you can check out these "updates" by quickly filling out the form using some dummy info. You can at the least reach as far as uploading of MC to see the portal tell you when MC is actually needed.I also looked at FAQs and OCI brochure on MHA website and there as well you dont find MC requirement for fresh application for husband and wife.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like GoI MHA has made several updates to online application portal and made the process much more simpler for standard applications ( I say this in comparison to the sample filled out application form on BLS website)

1. Marriage Certificate
As per the updated application portal, when you select marriage certificate to upload, it specifically tells you that MC is required ONLY for OCI application based on Spouse OCI... Im not sure if this was always the case but its pretty clear now when MC is actually required

2. Another interesting update , after Part A is filled, it no more asks you whether you want to apply for another family member. It goes straight to Part B.
For next family member, you start a fresh application from the start. So looks like husband and wife are being treated as independent applications with no link between the two. Again Im not sure if this was always the case but this is a welcome update. No more link between husband/wife application means there's no need for them to see a MC.

3. Lastly after submitting online application, it generates a pdf with the filled out application form. This now has your photo on it!! Does it mean you don't have to affix the photo??

4. In same PDF after the application form, there are some final instructions. Here again MC is mentioned only for Spouse OCI based OCI application not for standard application

Im not sure how much of these updates were already there. Above assessment is based on comparing with the sample filled out form on BLS website. Recent applicants may please advise.

PS - you can check out these "updates" by quickly filling out the form using some dummy info. You can at the least reach as far as uploading of MC to see the portal tell you when MC is actually needed.I also looked at FAQs and OCI brochure on MHA website and there as well you dont find MC requirement for fresh application for husband and wife.
I recently submitted my application, and from what i remember-

1. Spouse name was already mentioned in each others passports- so technically we need not have submitted/uploaded our marriage certificate, but we did it anyway

2. That is correct, it was indeed fresh applications for me and my wife

3. Even though the printed pdf application has a photo on it, you still have to take photo as per OCI specs. BLS would affix it on the application (bottom left if i remember it correctly).

Ponnaps

Jan 27, 2019
I recently submitted my application, and from what i remember-

1. Spouse name was already mentioned in each others passports- so technically we need not have submitted/uploaded our marriage certificate, but we did it anyway

2. That is correct, it was indeed fresh applications for me and my wife

3. Even though the printed pdf application has a photo on it, you still have to take photo as per OCI specs. BLS would affix it on the application (bottom left if i remember it correctly).
Thanks for the response. Looks like GoI MHA have made things much easier for OCI applicants, whereas CGI and BLS websites have still not kept up and still following unwanted complex procedures.

Quick question - When you tried uploading the MC, did you see the note just below upload button saying something like - "MC is required only for Spouse based OCI application"? Also did the BLS executive specifically ask for the MC during document verification?

mogli

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats on getting your OCI so quickly. Less than a month is awesome indeed! I had a pretty good experience at BLS Brampton as well (the same person at the same counter helped me with both Indian passport surrender as well as OCI applications). I am hoping to receive my OCI as quick as you did!
Sounds good, I'm sure you will, just keep an eye out on the online status.

mogli

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats ,
I am pretty sure that you have opted for BLS's value-added OCI service and courier services that why they were so nice to you :).
I didn't opt for their services so my experience with BLS agent was other way round.
Lol, nah, actually I just went to some hold-in-the-wall photo place round the corner and quick got my pics taken for 30 bux at like 9pm the day before. Took all my copies, didn't use any value added services. I actually joked with the lady at the counter, she looked at my app and immediately asked me where is your wife's info? I said where are you seeing this on my app (puzzled because I'm single)? she said oh sorry! I thought you were married. I said well, maybe your value added services also provide a wife lol ! you want to give me one along with OCI? we had a good laugh.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quick question - When you tried uploading the MC, did you see the note just below upload button saying something like - "MC is required only for Spouse based OCI application"? Also did the BLS executive specifically ask for the MC during document verification?
Sorry- I don't specifically remember any pop-up like what you had indicated. Also, I just handed all the self-attested photocopies, and specifically mentioned to the BLS lady that I have included marriage certificate, even though our names are in each others passports, and she said she would be including it in my application.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

wolfpack27616

Apr 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sounds good, I'm sure you will, just keep an eye out on the online status.
Thanks- I am checking the online status once every couple of days or so. My online status says "originals dispatched via purolator" or something like that. What would be the next change in status?

mogli

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks- I am checking the online status once every couple of days or so. My online status says "originals dispatched via purolator" or something like that. What would be the next change in status?
Hey there, sorry i don't log in as much these days anymore, but you will probably get a printing documents status next, thats your OCI being printed then it will be sent to Toronto. Watch out for purolator though, they don't show up and say receiver not available, so then you have to pick your package at the distribution office, which is usually a dingy dump.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Has any one tried Surrendering passports + OCI application together with express Pick up and drop ($35) all together?
I know it can be done in person, but wanted to check if surrendering and OCI application can be done with the pick up and drop option.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Has any one tried Surrendering passports + OCI application together with express Pick up and drop ($35) all together?
I know it can be done in person, but wanted to check if surrendering and OCI application can be done with the pick up and drop option.
Ok I think I read some comments where people had success doing this. Do share your experience if you have any thing to keep in mind when doing this together.

Nisha91

Jul 4, 2017
Toronto
My OCI Timeline to help others

Date of Submission: 28-DEC-2018
Date Of Acknowledgment 10-JAN-2019
Registration Status at Mission TORONTO

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 30-JAN-2019
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 30-JAN-2019
Document received At TORONTO On 30-JAN-2019

BLS STATUS - Original documents Delivered by Hand
(Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping)

Waiting for BLS STATUS to change to Purolator Airway Number

Reactions: mohd000

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Hi I am planning to go to BLS office in Toronto tomorrow at Lawrence avenue and apply for OCI and surrender my Indian passport the same day. I uploaded my picture and signature and when I took the print out of the form my picture and signature were printed. So where do I affix my picture on the form now? on top of the printed picture?

Any feedback on experience at the Lawrence avenue office is appreciated. Hope it goes smoothly.
Thanks