+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

User184

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Well I applied via post. My application was submitted September 1, and application was at consulate around September 5, but Date Of Acknowledgement is September 19.
I am wondering why it took them so long. Could it be because of postal application? Now its showing me status Under Process. I have travel on October 15.
Getting nervous....
Does anyone have an idea how long more it might take from here?
My flight ticket October 5th, Newborn oci application via purolator on August 16th, AOR September 9th. I was so much worried and applied entry visa for her on August 31 st via mail and received visa in hand on September 16th. Usually it is taking approximately 4 weeks from the date of Acknowledgment. You could try bls customer care and ask them for options.

D3xt0r

May 18, 2016
Hi all,

How long does it take for High Commission to send out the OCI to BLS?
I have a flight in exactly a week from now and I am so worried. Is it possible to receive the OCI on time?

My OCI card was delivered to the High Commission on Thursday 22 September.
I am even planning to go to Ottawa to pick up the document myself. Is there a way I could go there and pick it up without an appointment?

Please let me know what you guys think.
Thank you!

sreenathmandi

Aug 27, 2022
I got my oath certificate and planning to return Indian citizenship to expedite OCI process. Can I surrender my Indian passport before I get Canadian passport??

D3xt0r

May 18, 2016
I got my oath certificate and planning to return Indian citizenship to expedite OCI process. Can I surrender my Indian passport before I get Canadian passport??
Yes, you can.
However, U will need to write them a letter stating that you have applied for the Canadian Passport and waiting for it.

Reactions: Leo0806

Singhsimran12

Sep 14, 2022
Hi all,

I have a flight in exactly a week from now and I am so worried. Is it possible to receive the OCI on time?

I am even planning to go to Ottawa to pick up the document myself. Is there a way I could go there and pick it up without an appointment?

Thank you!
I am also in the same boat. Delivered OCI to CGI Toronto on 22nd and I am flying on Oct 4th. I am going to call BLS tomorrow to see if I can pickup instead of getting delivered.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Yes you can but you have to provide an additional letter highlighting that either your Canadian passport is under process and will take few more weeks or you are in the process of the applying for a Canadian Passport and cannot produce it at this time...
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-surrender.771938/post-10141122

Last edited:

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Sure. But what are they printing with the printing machine at the high commission that's causing the delays is very confusing to me. OCI printing happens in Delhi. :)
I think it’s printed here in CA. It’s a flimsy little book with 3 pages and passport like appearance outside. The booklet itself might come from India but printing of PP can happen here. Its no rocket science

Sudaksh

Jun 29, 2021
Hi all,

Thank you!
The same for me, the OCI website states it got delivered to Toronto on the 22nd Sep but no update on BLS website since then, ideally it gets updated in a day after the delivery date. I am wondering what's changed.

Singhsimran12

Sep 14, 2022
The same for me, the OCI website states it got delivered to Toronto on the 22nd Sep but no update on BLS website since then, ideally it gets updated in a day after the delivery date. I am wondering what's changed.
I think because of the weekend there was no update. I hope they’ll update today

Reactions: Sudaksh

elgaaato

Star Member
Dec 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help. I got the Canadian citizenship a few months ago, my indian passport is expired (more than one years since expired), haven't surrenderd it yet, applied online to surrender a few days ago.

My father is very ill in India (in ICU) I need an emergency visa to be there.

I applied on SAMPARK for an emergency appointment, I got this (link to the screenshot) answer, not sure what to do ?

Should I go to Toronto at the consulate or at a BLS office to get a visa ? ( I live in Quebec city)

I have applied for an entry visa on the onlineportal.

Thank you very much for your help!

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help. I got the Canadian citizenship a few months ago, my indian passport is expired (more than one years since expired), haven't surrenderd it yet, applied online to surrender a few days ago.

My father is very ill in India (in ICU) I need an emergency visa to be there.

I applied on SAMPARK for an emergency appointment, I got this (link to the screenshot) answer, not sure what to do ?

Should I go to Toronto at the consulate or at a BLS office to get a visa ? ( I live in Quebec city)

I have applied for an entry visa on the onlineportal.

Thank you very much for your help!
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I have tried SAMPARK in the past and they are responsive. Make sure your documentation is perfect (Doctor's letter, reports, bills). Since you are in Quebec City, your best bet is the Indian high commission in Ottawa.

elgaaato

Star Member
Dec 21, 2015
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I have tried SAMPARK in the past and they are responsive. Make sure your documentation is perfect (Doctor's letter, reports, bills). Since you are in Quebec City, your best bet is the Indian high commission in Ottawa.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Where did you apply with sampark ? Toronto, Ottawa ?

What was their reply ? An apointment ? I got the following comment : https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3xt7ucbnke5rbb/Sampark.png?dl=0

Comment : May please ASAP apply to BLS.

What does it mean ? Should I go to Toronto at he BLS office or to the consulate office ? Feeling lost.

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
Hi, thanks for the reply. Where did you apply with sampark ? Toronto, Ottawa ?

What was their reply ? An apointment ? I got the following comment : https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3xt7ucbnke5rbb/Sampark.png?dl=0

Comment : May please ASAP apply to BLS.

What does it mean ? Should I go to Toronto at he BLS office or to the consulate office ? Feeling lost.
I applied for SAMPARK in Toronto since I am in Toronto. I visited the consulate since I had an emergency.
Per the comment, please visit the nearest BLS with all documentation and SAMPARK ticket details.