+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
I see my travel on risk unless I see an update on OCI by this week so planning to apply for entry visa as a backup. I have a walk-in appointment on Monday. Can you confirm if BLS Brampton is forcing to pay return shipping or allowing for in-person pickup for visa ?
Brampton doesn't force, but gently coerces. Anecdotal evidence says that if you agree to the courier delivery, it's a smoother process.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I see my travel on risk unless I see an update on OCI by this week so planning to apply for entry visa as a backup. I have a walk-in appointment on Monday. Can you confirm if BLS Brampton is forcing to pay return shipping or allowing for in-person pickup for visa ?
@souvik126 They will not force you though only optional. Depends on how you deal with them. For me they did not force though only asked me and I politely declined in both scenarios SC and then OCI.

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
@souvik126 They will not force you though only optional. Depends on how you deal with them. For me they did not force though only asked me and I politely declined in both scenarios SC and then OCI.
when you give your application for entry visa at counter first thing you should mention that you want to do pick up for entry visa. Say it firmly when you hand over your application. If they provide option be firm.

KumarJayx

Star Member
Jun 8, 2020
Hello Guys,
I Just received passport. Can anyone summarize the step i need to take next. I got passport after 2.5 months of wait. I dont want to further delay with my Entry Visa and OCI. So,
1) Surrender+Entry Visa, Fill online, take print out and go to bls walk in brampton.
2) Once i get surrender certificate, Apply for OCI. Again, Fill online, take print out and walk in BLS brampton. Is it correct process?
Question
1) Do i need to take Demand draft or pay everything with card?
2) Walk ins are available right?

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Hello Guys,
I Just received passport. Can anyone summarize the step i need to take next. I got passport after 2.5 months of wait. I dont want to further delay with my Entry Visa and OCI. So,
1) Surrender+Entry Visa, Fill online, take print out and go to bls walk in brampton.

- Yup, if you have an appointment, better.

2) Once i get surrender certificate, Apply for OCI. Again, Fill online, take print out and walk in BLS brampton. Is it correct process?

- Yup

Question
1) Do i need to take Demand draft or pay everything with card?

- DD for some services, and debit card/cash for some. Refer BLS site

2) Walk ins are available right? - Yup
Btw, why did you wait to receive your Canadian passport to apply for surrender?

Reactions: KumarJayx

AmericanCanadian007

Aug 21, 2020
Nope, I have only seen same day or next day received in Canada. But I guess there are outliers in any sample.
Yep agreed! I wonder how the process actually works in the background. I am sure it is as simple as it looks but they have managed to make it complicated somehow and hence the wait times.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Hot2Cold

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Yep agreed! I wonder how the process actually works in the background. I am sure it is as simple as it looks but they have managed to make it complicated somehow and hence the wait times.:rolleyes:
With all the documents they collect and all the information they have, it should really be an over the counter process. Hand over the pre-requisites, verify originals, issue the documents. It should be as simple as that.

• Haha
Reactions: AmericanCanadian007

BVRM

Mar 25, 2022
My OCI application is UNDER-PROCESS at CGI toronto since May 20th . Anyone wants to geuss when it may change to PROCESSED? My "wild" guess is June 14th :)
Have you seen any update today? Even my OCI application is under process since May 20th. Please update when there is a change in status.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Ya thats the risk i was taking but i dint want to be in a situation where i dont have any option to go to india in case of emergency
Best way is to apply for surrender ASAP and get it in hand so you may try a VISA if you have a Canadian passport ready by the time surrender is received, which is the best and easiest way to deal with all emergencies. You could have done that while awaiting 2.5 months for Canadian passport.

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
I am in process of filling my OCI application and there is a section on "Applicant Passport Details". My understanding is that we have to fill in the Canadian passport details. However, in the step by step instructions provided by HCI, it says to provide details as per Indian passport.

Can some one please confirm if we have to fill in Canadian or Indian passport details?

Also, in case of Canadian passport details, for place of issue, shall we just use the city name like "Gatineau" (as printed on Canadian passport) and not mention Canada along with it?

Last edited: