+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Kanedaa

Mar 2, 2020
LANDED..........
08-27-2015
Need to apply OCI for family, does anyone has step by step process for postal/online application?

Seems like first step is the surrender certificate, how many days does it take to get processed?

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Hello All,
I have applied for surrender Certificate on 15th Of Feb 2022 (Postal Application).
On Pasport Seva portal the Status says "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." for almost a week now.
Can any one tell me how long does it take me to actually get the certificate?
I think it's the CGI tactic to delay unnecessary the process. They should be prompt after the certificate has been granted and not let it sit there for couple of weeks. Is there any way to speed up the process?
My other question is I need to visit India in Last week of May and with the current processing timeline, do you guys suggest I should apply OCI and wait for it or just get Visa (another payment to Gov pocket)?

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
Hello All,
I have applied for surrender Certificate on 15th Of Feb 2022 (Postal Application).
On Pasport Seva portal the Status says "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance." for almost a week now.
Can any one tell me how long does it take me to actually get the certificate?
I think it's the CGI tactic to delay unnecessary the process. They should be prompt after the certificate has been granted and not let it sit there for couple of weeks. Is there any way to speed up the process?
My other question is I need to visit India in Last week of May and with the current processing timeline, do you guys suggest I should apply OCI and wait for it or just get Visa (another payment to Gov pocket)?
How long did it take to change your status from "Surrender certificate is under review" to "...has been granted and available for issuance".

Re OCI: I wouldnt risk waiting for OCI to come by because if they point out some mistake in the application you will have to restart.

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
How long did it take to change your status from "Surrender certificate is under review" to "...has been granted and available for issuance".

Re OCI: I wouldnt risk waiting for OCI to come by because if they point out some mistake in the application you will have to restart.
Not sure the exact time line as I wasn't checking the Portal so often but if I am not mistaken it took 1 week from rom "Surrender certificate is under review" to "...has been granted and available for issuance". and since then no update.

Btw Thanks for reply regarding OCI.I was hoping that if my surrender certificate can come early I can avoid all this hassles , let's see, hope they will send my certificate fast (One can only hope LOL).

Reactions: vivek.89

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
My surrender certificate application is stuck at this status for 10 days now. Anyone experiencing the same? submitted at BLS brampton (in person)

Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Just received my OCI card today. I applied on 26 January and received on 12 March.
Date of issue mentioned on the card is 8 Mar 2022 but there is no expiry date mentioned.

so till when my card and oci status is valid?
I believe the OCI is valid forever...there was a rule where you did have to renew the card when you become 20 years old and when you become 50 years old, not sure if that rule is still in place...Hopefully someone can confirm this information n

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Dear friends,

Any recent applicant applied via Purolator at BLS Ottawa(location Montreal). They were sitting on my documents since Feb 23 and updted on March 9th only after escalating to IHC and their escalation management.

Now the status shows in BLS portal Under Process. Please let me know when can i expect the orginals back ?

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
My both applications are not found on the government websites (OCI and SC). I can track on BLS website but it shows the records are not found on government websites... :(

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
I know this is an OCI thread, but lot of folks here have talked about India Visa too, so here goes my question.

Indian govt. states that after acquiring foreign citizenship, you should immediately surrender your Indian passport. In fact, you may keep it for 3 years without penalty. And even use it for travel in the first 3 months of acquiring another citizenship. Afterwards, there is a penalty for using it as a travel document. (link)

Now on the other hand, while applying for Entry Visa, they ask for a surrender certificate. Isn't that a contradiction?

The reason I am asking is that while the processing work mentioned on BLS website for Entry Visa is 5-7 working days, the processing time for surrender is 3-4 weeks. So, if someone wishes to travel immediately upon obtaining the visa, how is one supposed to collect the cancelled passport and the surrender certificate?

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Mishti

Mar 22, 2016
Hello Everyone
My Surrender certificate application was received by BLS Surrey on Feb 12. I only checked my status on Feb 28 and saw a remark that I had made a mistake in my application by writing month first in Date of Birth and that I needed to send new application. So I went online and started a new application and sent it through Purolator and it was received on March 07 at BLS. The online BLS tracker shows no change. Any suggestion?
What kind of timeline am I looking at? I also want to apply for Entry visa thereafter.
So total 2 months from now?

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
I know this is an OCI thread, but lot of folks here have talked about India Visa too, so here goes my question.

Indian govt. states that after acquiring foreign citizenship, you should immediately surrender your Indian passport. In fact, you may keep it for 3 years without penalty. And even use it for travel in the first 3 months of acquiring another citizenship. Afterwards, there is a penalty for using it as a travel document. (link)

Now on the other hand, while applying for Entry Visa, they ask for a surrender certificate. Isn't that a contradiction?

The reason I am asking is that while the processing work mentioned on BLS website for Entry Visa is 5-7 working days, the processing time for surrender is 3-4 weeks. So, if someone wishes to travel immediately upon obtaining the visa, how is one supposed to collect the cancelled passport and the surrender certificate?

Am I missing something here?
You can apply both surrender passport and entry visa at same time. Your entry visa application and Surender passport both will complete simultaneously so no need to wait for 3-4 weeks for entry visa.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone
My Surrender certificate application was received by BLS Surrey on Feb 12. I only checked my status on Feb 28 and saw a remark that I had made a mistake in my application by writing month first in Date of Birth and that I needed to send new application. So I went online and started a new application and sent it through Purolator and it was received on March 07 at BLS. The online BLS tracker shows no change. Any suggestion?
What kind of timeline am I looking at? I also want to apply for Entry visa thereafter.
So total 2 months from now?
It can take up to 10-15 days to see the update on the BLS tracker. I am in the same boat. Application resubmitted 9th March.

Yes 2 months from now more or less