+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
ou can take appointment for Visa and submit your OCI application in that slot. This is what I did, and many others are doing.

Also, a shoutout to Nipun Gupta. This gentleman processed our applications too - I also had a problem with my application and had to come the next day. He is extremely respectful and patient - most times helping his other colleagues in other counters as well

We all tend to blame BLS for the inefficiencies in all of thse processes. However, the truth is they are simply implementing the rules laid out by the Consulate. For the most part, doing a thankless job that not many ppl appreciate.
The number of ppl with all sorts of deficiencies in their forms and BLS personnel trying to help them, letting them fix them, and come back again is mind blowing.
Not to mention the number of eyerolls they receive.
Honestly, I only now understand why they have all these rules like no walkin etc. The only thing thats absurd with BLS is the push for couriers.
I beg to differ, even if your application is correct they tend to find fault. My friends OCI rejected because he was not married " asked my friend to write letter stating he was not married and self attest it" 2nd appointment.
Ridiculous claims, treating people with no respect (BLS Toronto) not honoring appointment slots.

Reactions: deepax and Hot2Cold

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
R u aware if they give any tracking number for surrender and entry visa application ???
I am lill nervous as they took both my passport and the agent mentioned I should just track with the number below the barcodes of application form..
She said it will be sent home but how do I track it ????
Hi,

On the slip that you received from BLS, there is a number under the barcode that you can use to track your application on BLS Site. I have posted the link a couple of posts above.

From what I understood from BLS and by reading earlier posts here, you will be able to track the Purolator delivery when it is dispatched.

Reactions: COOL_DUDE_CANADA

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
My friends OCI rejected because he was not married " asked my friend to write letter stating he was not married and self attest it" 2nd appointment.
To be fair, this is mentioned in the OCI checklist published by BLS. However, I do agree that they do tend to find trivial faults even in what we think is a correct application.

... and my experience today with Nipun was outstanding in the world on governmental bureaucracy. I was really impressed with the way he handled it with respect and understanding. Also, thank God for technology that I was able to rectify the mistake quickly and easily.

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
To be fair, this is mentioned in the OCI checklist published by BLS. However, I do agree that they do tend to find trivial faults even in what we think is a correct application.

... and my experience today with Nipun was outstanding in the world on governmental bureaucracy. I was really impressed with the way he handled it with respect and understanding. Also, thank God for technology that I was able to rectify the mistake quickly and easily.
That is just another example, I agree with you. Just outright charge more and provide quality experience but dont waste time. ( Both the consulate and BLS)

Reactions: Hot2Cold

Rana Singh

Feb 17, 2022
Send oci application by courier on 10 February. Delivered on 11 February by purolator under processing today 26 yesterday was no record. I hope will get in third week of march appointment was showing 25 march I checked on 7 February. Vancouver jurisdiction.

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
You can take appointment for Visa and submit your OCI application in that slot. This is what I did, and many others are doing.

Also, a shoutout to Nipun Gupta. This gentleman processed our applications too - I also had a problem with my application and had to come the next day. He is extremely respectful and patient - most times helping his other colleagues in other counters as well

We all tend to blame BLS for the inefficiencies in all of thse processes. However, the truth is they are simply implementing the rules laid out by the Consulate. For the most part, doing a thankless job that not many ppl appreciate.
The number of ppl with all sorts of deficiencies in their forms and BLS personnel trying to help them, letting them fix them, and come back again is mind blowing.
Not to mention the number of eyerolls they receive.
Honestly, I only now understand why they have all these rules like no walkin etc. The only thing thats absurd with BLS is the push for couriers.
Sorry but BLS is an equally bad culprit.

For my wife's OCI last month, they asked for a document that's not mentioned in any checklist. On BLS or CGI Toronto website. We respectfully asked for a written checklist where that document is listed as a requirement because to be honest, you can't be making requirements out of thin air. We also said that we need to see that requirement in writing so next time we come, another agent doesn't ask for something else. All she said was that she wasnt going to accept the application.

For my mom's OCI few years back (back when OCI also meant getting the visa stamp on Canadian passport), they held on to my mom's stamped passport for a month and every time I called they said "it is at the consulate". On the day before my mom's flight, I was frustrated that consulate was taking so much time so I went to the consulate in person and they told me they had dispatched the passport within 48 hours, and when I went to BLS in person, they said "Oh yeah, we had the passport all along"

Slimy folks at BLS. No sympathies from me. Can't wait for them to go out of business and maybe some place more competent like VFS takes over.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Sorry but BLS is an equally bad culprit.

For my wife's OCI last month, they asked for a document that's not mentioned in any checklist. On BLS or CGI Toronto website. We respectfully asked for a written checklist where that document is listed as a requirement because to be honest, you can't be making requirements out of thin air. We also said that we need to see that requirement in writing so next time we come, another agent doesn't ask for something else. All she said was that she wasnt going to accept the application.

For my mom's OCI few years back (back when OCI also meant getting the visa stamp on Canadian passport), they held on to my mom's stamped passport for a month and every time I called they said "it is at the consulate". On the day before my mom's flight, I was frustrated that consulate was taking so much time so I went to the consulate in person and they told me they had dispatched the passport within 48 hours, and when I went to BLS in person, they said "Oh yeah, we had the passport all along"

Slimy folks at BLS. No sympathies from me. Can't wait for them to go out of business and maybe some place more competent like VFS takes over.
VFS already is the agent for US applications. There I’m told everything is postal & with a clear defined checklist of all the pre-requisites. I wish they were given the chance in Canada too.

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
My surrender certificate application was acknowledged by BLS Toronto as received on Feb 25? If they have any mistakes pointed out in the application, by when will they let me know? And if there are no mistakes, by when can i expect to get the certificate?

Chironto

Feb 27, 2022
I'm a Canadian Citizen looking to apply for OCI soon but I work and reside in USA (on H1B visa). I've been looking through many checklists but I wanted to get confirmation from people who have applied recently. How many trips do I need to make to the BLS location? Do I need to submit my original passport and how long do they hold onto that original passport? It becomes an issue if I am without my passport (since I may need to go back to USA for work related reasons unexpectedly) for months on end.

It says online minimum time to return original documents in 7 to 15 working days (so really 2 to 3 weeks). Is this accurate?

rssr.canada

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
processing started 6th Feb SLU
Med's Request
05th oct 2015
Med's Done....
07th oct 2015
Interview........
God's Grace not required
Passport Req..
waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
waiting....
LANDED..........
waiting...
They did not ask me for record of landing. The docs I submitted were Citi

I submitted my OCI application on Dec 14th but have not received any acknowledgement. Also it says no record found on the BLS website but BLS tracking shows "Processing at Consulate General.... I am confused. :(
I realized I was checking it with the error in passport number. It is ready to dispatch with Purolator :) ..Yay!!

rssr.canada

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
processing started 6th Feb SLU
Med's Request
05th oct 2015
Med's Done....
07th oct 2015
Interview........
God's Grace not required
Passport Req..
waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
waiting....
LANDED..........
waiting...
I'm a Canadian Citizen looking to apply for OCI soon but I work and reside in USA (on H1B visa). I've been looking through many checklists but I wanted to get confirmation from people who have applied recently. How many trips do I need to make to the BLS location? Do I need to submit my original passport and how long do they hold onto that original passport? It becomes an issue if I am without my passport (since I may need to go back to USA for work related reasons unexpectedly) for months on end.

It says online minimum time to return original documents in 7 to 15 working days (so really 2 to 3 weeks). Is this accurate?
I would suggest to submit in person and opt for courier to receive it back as then you do not have to submit your originals. I submitted in person on Dec 14th, 2021 and should be receiving my OCI Card by Tuesday.

alks09

Dec 4, 2020
OCI application: Postal
Mission: Ottawa
App. Received:10 Jan,2022
Application date on BLS: 19 Jan
Acknowledgement date: 27 Jan
Original documents return: 31 Jan
Anyone have idea how much time it takes to get OCI after processed status.
I have flight on 13th March
Thank you in advance

sach1234

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 September, 2014(Tuesday)
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER received: 09 January, 2015(Friday)
AOR Received.
03 Feb, 2015(Tuesday)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
SLU: 28 April, 2015- Tuesday (Processing started on 23rd April, 2015-Thursday)
Med's Request
12 May, 2015(Tuesday)
Med's Done....
23 May, 2015(Saturday)
Interview........
TLU: 04th June, 2015(Thursday)
Passport Req..
18 June, 2015(Thursday); Passport submitted through VFS on 19 June, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited; Decision made: 20 June, 2015(Saturday)
LANDED..........
OCI application: Postal
Mission: Ottawa
App. Received:10 Jan,2022
Application date on BLS: 19 Jan
Acknowledgement date: 27 Jan
Original documents return: 31 Jan
Anyone have idea how much time it takes to get OCI after processed status.
I have flight on 13th March
Thank you in advance
Hi, I recently got my OCI and the mission was Ottawa. Here's to give you a little bit of idea on the timeline. (Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On24-JAN-2022; Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHI On 25-JAN-2022; Document received At OTTAWA On 10-FEB-2022; OCI Booklet received by BLS on 11 Feb 2022; Delivered to me on 15 Feb 2022). Hope this helps.