Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Hey All.. I would apply for the entry visa too for my spouse but her surrender certificate is still in process.. When I called BLS, they said we need to wait for surrender certificate to come through even when the checklist says "In case the visa applicant has not surrendered the Indian passport and has the original passport, he/she may submit the application for Surrender / Renunciation Certificate and enclose a copy of the payment receipt of submission of the surrender certificate application with the visa application".

Not sure if anyone has any idea on such cases?
This used to be the case for OCI applications too (i.e., surrender and apply for OCi on same day), but they changed it. Quite possible they allow this for entry visa. At the end of the day BLS has to accept the application, so your best bet is to confirm with them.

bobrovsky07

Apr 3, 2017
Totally agree as I have paid for Evisa/OCI/open ticket charges and now thinking about an entry visa as my trip is really urgent :( on top I know I will paying for ticket date changes :( financially and emotionally draining roller coaster this is :(
Cannot agree more. Seems like a money grab. I know the Indian government is angry with Trudaeu but why punish their own people? I am close to spending $1000 on these applications. The stress is killing me.

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
This used to be the case for OCI applications too (i.e., surrender and apply for OCi on same day), but they changed it. Quite possible they allow this for entry visa. At the end of the day BLS has to accept the application, so your best bet is to confirm with them.
yeah, makes sense! Will call them again I guess and may be another agent knows better!

Anncs

Star Member
Aug 31, 2017
For entry visa, its mandatory to have surrender certificate. Even for minors, they need surrender certificate of parents.

ersandee

Jul 12, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
25-03-2019
yeah, makes sense! Will call them again I guess and may be another agent knows better!
Agents on the Phone are not helpful as they dont know a lot. I would suggest fill in required form and walk-in

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
For entry visa, its mandatory to have surrender certificate. Even for minors, they need surrender certificate of parents.
My understanding is that you should have atleast applied for a surrender certificate.. but then what do they in lieu of actual surrender certificate (i.e., proof that you have applied for a surrender certificate), no one knows!

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
Here is what the document checklist says "In case the visa applicant has not surrendered the Indian passport and has the original passport, he/she may submit the application for Surrender / Renunciation Certificate and enclose a copy of the payment receipt of submission of the surrender certificate application with the visa application.".. Since we submitted a draft (postal application), there is no payment receipt I have.. Visa application can be easily produced though!

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Here is what the document checklist says "In case the visa applicant has not surrendered the Indian passport and has the original passport, he/she may submit the application for Surrender / Renunciation Certificate and enclose a copy of the payment receipt of submission of the surrender certificate application with the visa application.".. Since we submitted a draft (postal application), there is no payment receipt I have.. Visa application can be easily produced though!
So, do you have a surrender application under process? If I read that paragraph right, it applies to surrendering the same time as visa application as it asks for original Indian passport which you wont have.

Gagzgill

Oct 23, 2023
For minors born in canada whose parents still have Indian passports - they don’t need any surrender certificate, right?
Anyone here please advise.

eas2lv

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2023
Toronto
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Ack date is 10th October
Then its very tight. If status changes to "processed" on Oct 31 (possible), you may be just okay, else you will have to postpone.
You have still not told us the jurisdiction: Assuming Toronto.