+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI Marriage Certificate query

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Hello,

Spouse and I are applying for OCI, but stuck on the below marriage certificate requirement.

• We married in India
  • We have a marriage certificate issued by State Marriage registrar, but not attested by state home dept or Ministry of external affairs.
Below is the requirement from BLS website.

If married in India:
Marriage Certificate should be attested by the State Home Dept. where the marriage was registered and further more attested
by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi (MEA). Please note: If applicant does not have Marriage certificate attested by
MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) New Delhi, but is issued by the Marriage Registrar of a State Home Government in India, then
application can be accepted along with Notarized joined Affidavit, containing both- photograph and signatures of the couple, from
Notary Public or lawyer in Canada.

Can someone provide their experience in getting this affidavit? Any place in GTA that does this? Please provide a sample of you have one.

When uploading Marriage certificate on the oci website, do I upload this affidavit or original marriage certificate or both?

Thank you.

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Read this on Quora.
https://goo.gl/images/ovDp33

You can use similar format without stamp paper but on standard paper. Use a photo where both you and spouse are in. If you don’t have a photo, take one at home and get it printed out in a pharmacy.

Find notary on google. Anyone will do. He may charge $15-$25. Ask notary to put half of his stamp and signature on the photo.

Reactions: mumbai1985

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Hello,

Spouse and I are applying for OCI, but stuck on the below marriage certificate requirement.

• We married in India
  • We have a marriage certificate issued by State Marriage registrar, but not attested by state home dept or Ministry of external affairs.

If married in India:
Marriage Certificate should be attested by the State Home Dept. where the marriage was registered and further more attested
by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi (MEA). Please note: If applicant does not have Marriage certificate attested by
MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) New Delhi, but is issued by the Marriage Registrar of a State Home Government in India, then
application can be accepted along with Notarized joined Affidavit, containing both- photograph and signatures of the couple, from

Can someone provide their experience in getting this affidavit? Any place in GTA that does this? Please provide a sample of you have one.

When uploading Marriage certificate on the oci website, do I upload this affidavit or original marriage certificate or both?

Thank you.
Its an old requirement. A photocopy will do the job, if you have the original marriage certificate from state government with you. I called them multiple time to confirm. You can call them as well and confirm.

stuapp

Star Member
Jan 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 24, 2015
AOR Received.
Mar 9, 2015
Med's Request
May 8, 2015
Med's Done....
May 20, 2015
Interview........
RPRF Req.: May 18, 2015
If you both were Indian Citizens, first of all it is senseless to ask for marriage certificate. I applied OCI for my son and they did create a fuss about our marriage certificate not being notarized here in Canada even though it is an official marriage certificate with picture, stamps & witness signature. For OCI, BLS takes documents and send it to back office for verification. I submitted my marriage certificate as is telling them if it is not acceptable then please return my application...I would be happy to come again with what you are asking for. They finally took it and it was accepted.

You should be good with the certificate you have. If it is not a hassle or long drive to go to BLS, I would suggest go with your existing document.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Thank you. I'll try using my Original and copy without notarizing. Anyways, I live close to BLS in Brampton - it's not a long drive.

friday81

Star Member
Jul 11, 2014
Thank you. I'll try using my Original and copy without notarizing. Anyways, I live close to BLS in Brampton - it's not a long drive.
Hi,
Can you share your experience ? Did they ask you for a Canadian notorized copy of Marriage certificate ?

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
Hello,

• We married in India

If married in India:

Thank you.
For our daughter's OCI the requirement then was to have MEA approved Marriage Certificate. in Lieu of that an affidavit written by you and spouse with a joint picture of both notarized by an attorney and signed in witness of the attorney helped. We got the OCI without any hassle. But now the requirements have considerably changed. If you marriage certificate was issued by Registrar of marriages or state or district administration in India, that is more than enough. If the marriage certificate was issued by any other religious institutions, temples, gurudhwara or churches then the same needs to be attested and certified by Ministry of External affairs. Hope this clears .

testnowpr

Nov 9, 2018
If you both were Indian Citizens, first of all it is senseless to ask for marriage certificate. I applied OCI for my son and they did create a fuss about our marriage certificate not being notarized here in Canada even though it is an official marriage certificate with picture, stamps & witness signature. For OCI, BLS takes documents and send it to back office for verification. I submitted my marriage certificate as is telling them if it is not acceptable then please return my application...I would be happy to come again with what you are asking for. They finally took it and it was accepted.

You should be good with the certificate you have. If it is not a hassle or long drive to go to BLS, I would suggest go with your existing document.
Need a help please..

Myself and my wife doesn't have either of our names in each other's passport. We don't have children. We want the same way for OCI, we don't want our names on the OCI card. Is marriage certificate mandatory for OCI card? Is there a way to avoid spouse names in OCI card.

Last edited:

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
For our daughter's OCI the requirement then was to have MEA approved Marriage Certificate. in Lieu of that an affidavit written by you and spouse with a joint picture of both notarized by an attorney and signed in witness of the attorney helped. We got the OCI without any hassle. But now the requirements have considerably changed. If you marriage certificate was issued by Registrar of marriages or state or district administration in India, that is more than enough. If the marriage certificate was issued by any other religious institutions, temples, gurudhwara or churches then the same needs to be attested and certified by Ministry of External affairs. Hope this clears .
Mine is not attested. What is the procedure now?

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
Mine is not attested. What is the procedure now?
If your marriage Certificate is issued by any competent authority such as registrar of marriages or any state or district administration then that should suffice.

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
In my Indian marriage certificate issued by Hindu marriage registrar, there is a rubber stamp imprinted which says:

"If the document is needed or used in foreign countries or for acceptance by foreign missions in India, authentication of the document by the designated authority, viz Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India is necessary".

Can I go ahead with this certificate for upload (post ITA) or does it need an attestation from MEA? I am just a few days away from the deadline. So, request people to share your inputs. Appreciate your help!