Feb 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 14th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
LANDED..........
May 3rd 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm the root Indian (former Indian citizen), and trying to put together my own application for OCI.

The instructions are far from being clear:
* on the website of the Indian consulate of Toronto, the instructions don't mention having to submit anything for my husband (he's not applying, and he's not of Indian origin)
* but the checklist PDF from BLS says they want a bunch of documents for my husband (copy of passport, etc.) as well as our marriage certificate attested by the consulate

We were married here in Ontario, but having to get the Indian consulate in Toronto attest a marriage certificate from Ontario seems overkill, and adds another step to the long list of documents to submit.

Can anyone in my situation comment on what you did? Which instructions are correct: the ones on the website of the Indian consulate, or the ones on the BLS website?

Many thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm the root Indian (former Indian citizen), and trying to put together my own application for OCI.

The instructions are far from being clear:
* on the website of the Indian consulate of Toronto, the instructions don't mention having to submit anything for my husband (he's not applying, and he's not of Indian origin)
* but the checklist PDF from BLS says they want a bunch of documents for my husband (copy of passport, etc.) as well as our marriage certificate attested by the consulate

We were married here in Ontario, but having to get the Indian consulate in Toronto attest a marriage certificate from Ontario seems overkill, and adds another step to the long list of documents to submit.

Can anyone in my situation comment on what you did? Which instructions are correct: the ones on the website of the Indian consulate, or the ones on the BLS website?

Many thanks!
BLS is the authorized third-party for OCI applications in Canada. You should follow the instructions on their checklist.

For marriage certificates issued in Canada, it first needs to be authenticated by the concerned body of the provincial government and only then will the Indian consulate attest it.

For Ontario, you'll have to get it authenticated by Ministry of Services and then approach CGI Toronto for attestation.

Reactions: krunal2904