+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI Application for US Citizen Child-Need Birth Certificate Endorsement?

Eshwarrior

May 7, 2022
Awesome- Thank god i found this blog. It really helped and appreciate all of you who have shared your experiences and guidance for folks like me who are new to this scenario.
Anyways my 2 cents : there is a 3rd party service provider “VitalChek” who is handling these kind of services - especially in my case i want a birth certificate document and on top of it apostille from SOS… so they charged me ~ 60$ for both, of-course its bit extra pricey as they will incur their service charges: But felt like a hassle free process via online / Call.
and exactly after 1month of submitting the documents in BLS office, we have received the OCI… pretty good turnaround time i can say.

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
and exactly after 1month of submitting the documents in BLS office, we have received the OCI… pretty good turnaround time i can say.
Is the below procedure applicable when renewing the OCI for a US Born Child who is now a Canadian Citizen?

Birth Certificate is required to be attested by the High Commission / Embassy / Consulate of that Country in Canada.

Mum2Can

Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
During OCI Process, does they ask any additional documents to prove child's valid status apart from Visitor Record?

In my case, we landed in Canada in Dec-2022 with my US born kid and applied for OCI and they returned the application with below reasons:

1. Copy of current valid status in Canada required (PR/Work Permit/Study Permit)
2. Application status in Canada must be older than 6 months

On Point 1:
- I have already provided his Visitor record with 1 yr validity (Provided by Immigration officer at US-Canada Land border)
- Spoke with BLS cust care, as per him Visitor record is not a valid status but I can provide his PR AoR letter

On Point 2:
- My son came to Canada in Dec-2022, I don’t see such requirements mentioned anywhere on BLS website or Consulate website.
- Spoke with cust care, as per him this information is not available on website but it is mandatory for non-Canadian citizen applying for OCI should wait for 6 months once land in Canada.

2nd point is really surprised me, If I know this before hand through checklist or BLS website I might not applied for OCI. Just taking money. I have wasted my pick up & drop off fees.

Any input on this will be very helpful.

leo_mcc

Aug 14, 2015
How to order from Vitalcheck. Online i selected Birthcertificate but there was no option to add apostille . Please guide how to procced with apostille with vitalcheck

You are right, us embassy do not provide this service.

This is what is acceptable by CGI consulate:
Apostille issued by SOS of birth place will do the trick. I am not sure where your son was born. Lets say he was born in Michigan, follow the instructions here https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-5647_12539-27095--,00.html.

There is third party https://www.vitalchek.com/Campaign/?site=4&clickid=574772336235446274 which provides the same service and act on your behalf. they will mail Apostille in 2 to 3 weeks. You have to pay relatively more as compared to personally visiting the SOS branch. I have used there service and they did mail within three weeks though you end up paying 100 CAD something dollar.

best of luck

fang21

Apr 17, 2019
Awesome- Thank god i found this blog. It really helped and appreciate all of you who have shared your experiences and guidance for folks like me who are new to this scenario.
Anyways my 2 cents : there is a 3rd party service provider “VitalChek” who is handling these kind of services - especially in my case i want a birth certificate document and on top of it apostille from SOS… so they charged me ~ 60$ for both, of-course its bit extra pricey as they will incur their service charges: But felt like a hassle free process via online / Call.
Hi,

If you don’t mind answering, will the vital chek mail both the birth certificate and the apostilled document to Canada once we order ?

ZionCanadahopeful

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
30-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
Med's Done....
29-02-2019
Passport Req..
01-04-2019
VISA ISSUED...
10-04-2019
LANDED..........
16-05-2019
It was a struggle for me to apply for an OCI in Canada for my child born in the US; thought I'll provide some clarity here for anyone who is interested.

For a child born in the US and when applying for an OCI with BLS in Canada, you will need to provide a copy of the original US birth certificate apostilled by the Secretary of State from the state where your child was born. All other requirements stay the same as a child born in Canada - all photocopies and no originals required.
Thanks i really appreciate people who come back and update once their process is resolved,, the OCI process doesnt make it clear and BLS people are usually of no help.

I got my NJ apostille done through their system going to submit OCI documentation this week

Quick question i assume you submitted the kids OCI based on canada citizenship and only birth certificate need apostlle as its from US