+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI Application for US Citizen Child-Need Birth Certificate Endorsement?

maddyraja

Apr 19, 2017
I need to apply for OCI for my US Citizen Child at CGI Toronto. In checklist it says endorsed birth certificate. But US Embassy doesn't provide this service. Anyone who applied for US citizen child for OCI please help.

kingmourya

Mar 28, 2014
I need to apply for OCI for my US Citizen Child at CGI Toronto. In checklist it says endorsed birth certificate. But US Embassy doesn't provide this service. Anyone who applied for US citizen child for OCI please help.
Did you find out? I am in same situation.

karank

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
+1 here. I called BLS and explained them the scenario and they said thats the requirement. No clue how to proceed.

Nov 2, 2020

You are right, us embassy do not provide this service.

This is what is acceptable by CGI consulate:
Apostille issued by SOS of birth place will do the trick. I am not sure where your son was born. Lets say he was born in Michigan, follow the instructions here https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-5647_12539-27095--,00.html.

There is third party https://www.vitalchek.com/Campaign/?site=4&clickid=574772336235446274 which provides the same service and act on your behalf. they will mail Apostille in 2 to 3 weeks. You have to pay relatively more as compared to personally visiting the SOS branch. I have used there service and they did mail within three weeks though you end up paying 100 CAD something dollar.

best of luck

maddyraja

Apr 19, 2017
After checking all the required documentation and apostille things, I have decided to just go with entry visa.. :-(

karank

Star Member
Mar 8, 2017
My kid was born in the US . Is it mandatory to get attested from CGI Toronto after obtaining an Apostille ? This is what is mentioned in the checklist -

Any Marriage / Birth Certificates (for those married / born outside of Canada, excluding India), have to be authenticated by the Embassy of your Country, located in Canada and there after attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
If the parents are Indian nationals, then the kid's copy of the standard US birth certificate will work. No need for Apostille or attestation. My daughter is US born and we didn't need to endorse her US birth certificate.
You can send an email to oci.toronto@mea.gov.in and clarify.

maddyraja

Apr 19, 2017
If the parents are Indian nationals, then the kid's copy of the standard US birth certificate will work. No need for Apostille or attestation. My daughter is US born and we didn't need to endorse her US birth certificate.
You can send an email to oci.toronto@mea.gov.in and clarify.
Hi Tommy2581,
Really happy to know that.. can you also tell how much time did it take to get the OCI application processed for your daughter and did you face any challenges with the regular birth certificate?

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Hi Tommy2581,
Really happy to know that.. can you also tell how much time did it take to get the OCI application processed for your daughter and did you face any challenges with the regular birth certificate?
Hi @maddyraja
No issues with the child's regular US birth certificate, Submit a copy with the OCI application. It took around 5-6 weeks for end-to-end processing. You can send an email to oci.toronto@mea.gov.in for any clarifications. Good luck!

maddyraja

Apr 19, 2017
Hi @maddyraja
No issues with the child's regular US birth certificate, Submit a copy with the OCI application. It took around 5-6 weeks for end-to-end processing. You can send an email to oci.toronto@mea.gov.in for any clarifications. Good luck!
I got the following reply from embassy -
If USA consulate is not doing for apstoled/attested you may follow the procedure is given below

For attestation of the child’s birth certificate, you may check with the Ministry of Ontario Government Service located at 222 Jarvis Street, Toronto. After getting attestation from the mentioned Ministry, the Birth Certificate is required to be attested from us i.e. the Consulate General of India, Toronto. Due to COVID-19, acceptance of walk-in consular service applications at Consulate have been temporarily suspended. For details, please visit the given link : https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/civil-documents/

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
If USA consulate is not doing for apstoled/attested you may follow the procedure is given below

For attestation of the child’s birth certificate, you may check with the Ministry of Ontario Government Service located at 222 Jarvis Street, Toronto. After getting attestation from the mentioned Ministry, the Birth Certificate is required to be attested from us i.e. the Consulate General of India, Toronto. Due to COVID-19, acceptance of walk-in consular service applications at Consulate have been temporarily suspended. For details, please visit the given link : https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/civil-documents/
I am not sure. I applied the OCI for my minor US born daughter (5-years old) and asked them if I need to endorse her US birth certificate for OCI processing. They replied - As you are Indian nationals, you need not to get the said attestation of the birth certificate. So I only provided a copy of her US long format birth certificate which has our names as her parent and they accepted.

snapheed

Jan 7, 2022

This procedure is for Canadian birth certificates? Link - https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci/

(n) Birth Certificate (Original and copy)

Please enclose the Birth Certificate issued by the Government authority having name of both the parent of the child.

If birth certificate is issued by Canadian government, it is required to be attested by Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services (222 Jarvis Street, Toronto) and thereafter from the Consulate of India, Toronto.

In case the Birth Certificate is issued by any other foreign Country than Canada, then the Birth Certificate is required to be attested by the High Commission / Embassy / Consulate of that Country in Canada.

snapheed

Jan 7, 2022
Anyone find out what the correct procedure is for an OCI application for a minor with US Birth Certificate?

Looks like they need it attested but I'm stumped on who should actually attest it.

Nov 2, 2020
Anyone find out what the correct procedure is for an OCI application for a minor with US Birth Certificate?

Looks like they need it attested but I'm stumped on who should actually attest it.
When we applied two months ago, they did not require the attestation (from jarvis street ) for the canadian birth certificate. We were able to get it without any attestation. Myself and my spouse attested the copy of Canadian birth certificate.