+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

obtaining a driving licence

sunny r

Jan 12, 2011
Hey,

I am awaiting my visa to immigrate to Canada. Would anyone know when I can apply for my driver (leaner’s) license? Would I be able to do that right away or have to wait for certain amount of time?

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sunny

Huron

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Canada, driver's licences are issued by the government of the province or territory in which the driver is residing. Thus, specific regulations relating to driver's licences vary province to province, though overall they are quite similar.

Look here for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_licence_in_Canada

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
Can apply right away, check the respective provincial site for ID and other requirement... if you hold a license from another country it may be exchangeable, or your driving experience may carry over... Be warned some proviences have a graduated system, meaning it can take over 2 years to get a full license... If you can't directly exchange your license and have plenty of driving experience, get a drivers abstract from your country's transportation commission to prove experience, you can have the license after you complete written and driving test (at least that's the way it worked for my husband in ontario)

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Hi, in Alberta you need two pieces of photo ID plus a proof of residency- lease, ownership, ect. The learner is valid for a year then you can obtain your licence. If you have a driver`s licence from another country you may exchange it or you have to do the whole thing again. However it is much cheaper than in other provinces.