+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
1. Approximately how long on average does it take before we get called for the oath after writing the test?

2. Do we receive the Canadian citizenship at the time of oath?

3. After the oath, how long on average does it take to get called to pick up passport?

4. Can we request a certain time to go pick up the passport or can we wait to go pick it up?

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
success2016 said:
1. Approximately how long on average does it take before we get called for the oath after writing the test?

3. After the oath, how long on average does it take to get called to pick up passport?

4. Can we request a certain time to go pick up the passport or can we wait to go pick it up?

Hi.....

To answer your questions:

1.Oath wait time... It all depend on a lot of variables.....local office ,whether or not IRCC asks for fingerprints, RQs or additional documents. I've seen applicants that took the oath same day when they wrote and passed their test. VO generally say 2-4 months....others get the letter earlier than that. Mine was approximately 3 months (VO said 2-4 months)

2. Yes. You become Canadian as soon as you take your oath of allegiance. And you'll get your citizenship Certificate then too.

3. You can apply for a passport after 48 hrs.....that's what IRCC officers advice us to do to get our info into their database.

4. You can pick up your passport after 10 business days from the day you apply or you can have them send it to you,your choice.. You can do an express application (less than 10 days) when you can show Passport Canada a valid ticket stating your flight date and time,otherwise,they'll just process your passport normally.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stargazerlilly said:
4. You can pick up your passport after 10 business days from the day you apply or you can have them send it to you,your choice.. You can do an express application (less than 10 days) when you can show Passport Canada a valid ticket stating your flight date and time,otherwise,they'll just process your passport normally.
You do not need ticket for express processing (2-9 business days). You will only need those if you apply for urgent processing (next business day or same day)

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rigly68 said:
You do not need ticket for express processing (2-9 business days). You will only need those if you apply for urgent processing (next business day or same day)
I beg to differ.....

For urgent or express service, you must apply in person and proof of upcoming travel may be required for express service. Additional fees also apply.

Urgent pick-up: By the end of the next business day
Express pick-up: 2 to 9 business days

Thank you.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stargazerlilly said:
I beg to differ.....

For urgent or express service, you must apply in person and proof of upcoming travel may be required for express service. Additional fees also apply.

Urgent pick-up: By the end of the next business day
Express pick-up: 2 to 9 business days

Thank you.
Well I beg to differ too then as I just applied for express pick up and did not have to show any tickets or other proof of travel. When I inquired at the passport office about this it was confirmed by several agents that only for urgent processing you need the proof of travel.

This is also from
Government website regarding express: "You must pick-up your passport in person at this location. It will be ready in 2-9 business days.
There is an extra fee for express pick-up ($50)."
and for urgent processing: "You must pick-up your passport in person at this location. It will be ready by the end of the next business day. You must provide proof of travel to receive urgent service. There is an extra fee for urgent pick-up ($110)."

So as per instructions there only for urgent pick up.....So seems that government website contradicts itself a little there.

It is absolutely possible to apply for express pick up without proof of travel but I would agree with you that if you have a ticket it won't hurt to bring it with you.

Cheers!

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rigly68 said:
Well I beg to differ too then as I just applied for express pick up and did not have to show any tickets or other proof of travel. When I inquired at the passport office about this it was confirmed by several agents that only for urgent processing you need the proof of travel.

This is also from
Government website regarding express: "You must pick-up your passport in person at this location. It will be ready in 2-9 business days.
There is an extra fee for express pick-up ($50)."
and for urgent processing: "You must pick-up your passport in person at this location. It will be ready by the end of the next business day. You must provide proof of travel to receive urgent service. There is an extra fee for urgent pick-up ($110)."

So as per instructions there only for urgent pick up.....So seems that government website contradicts itself a little there.

It is absolutely possible to apply for express pick up without proof of travel but I would agree with you that if you have a ticket it won't hurt to bring it with you.

Cheers!

I did try for express pick up as well, friend....but I was asked for a plane ticket. I said I just want an express processing (not really patient in waiting) and very willing to pay the extra fee .....Passport officer said no, they cannot do an express pick up without a valid plane ticket showing the date of my departure. So I guess it all depend on the officer and office. I don't know.....was too excited to get my Canadian passport as I was just a new Canadian then ,but I was stumped by the Passport officer by asking me for a valid plane ticket for an express pick up.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stargazerlilly said:
I did try for express pick up as well, friend....but I was asked for a plane ticket. I said I just want an express processing (not really patient in waiting) and very willing to pay the extra fee .....Passport officer said no, they cannot do an express pick up without a valid plane ticket showing the date of my departure. So I guess it all depend on the officer and office. I don't know.....was too excited to get my Canadian passport as I was just a new Canadian then ,but I was stumped by the Passport officer by asking me for a valid plane ticket for an express pick up.
Oh I agree with you there regarding the officer and office. Sorry to hear that you did have this kind of trouble and hope everything worked out OK for you!

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
1. Approximately how long on average does it take before we get called for the oath after writing the test? 2-4 months if you are in a metro area

2. Do we receive the Canadian citizenship at the time of oath? YES

3. After the oath, how long on average does it take to get called to pick up passport? You need to apply for the passport. You can apply for two days and some cases one day

4. Can we request a certain time to go pick up the passport or can we wait to go pick it up? You can pick it up after 10 days when you apply

VraiVie

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
Once they send you a test invite is it for sure that you will get the oath after if the test is good and interview is good?

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VraiVie said:
Once they send you a test invite is it for sure that you will get the oath after if the test is good and interview is good?
In my case,Yes it was.
In some cases, when it seems that everything went good, but IRCC asked for additional requirements/documents such as RQs,fingerprints/police clearance. I believe that once the IRCC officer tells you a timeframe on when to expect your oath letter....then that's surely good sign that oath is in the horizon.

VraiVie

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
stargazerlilly said:
In my case,Yes it was.
In some cases, when it seems that everything went good, but IRCC asked for additional requirements/documents such as RQs,fingerprints/police clearance. I believe that once the IRCC officer tells you a timeframe on when to expect your oath letter....then that's surely good sign that oath is in the horizon.
After the test an RQ can be requested? are they asking alot of RQ`s these days? i am not sure

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VraiVie said:
After the test an RQ can be requested? are they asking alot of RQ`s these days? i am not sure
Yes you can receive a RQ after test.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
success2016 said:

Oath is very last stage to reach. If you don't receive Residence Questions after test then within 6 months of test you can get oath letter. It also depends on CIC office and bit also depends on your conversation with CIC official during test. A friend of mine mistakenly took all his old US visas etc to CIC official and this CIC official issued him residence questions so the lesson is - DO NOT TAKE ANY EXTRA DOCUMENT OTHER THAN THOSE REQUESTED FOR APPOINTMENT WITH CICI OFFICIAL DURING INTERVIEW.

Officer thought applicant is traveling frequently to the US even during relevant period so he issued him residence bullshit. THis fellow applied right after 1098 days of residence in Canada where 1095 days are required for residence eligibility.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
washington.state said:
Oath is very last stage to reach. If you don't receive Residence Questions after test then within 6 months of test you can get oath letter. It also depends on CIC office and bit also depends on your conversation with CIC official during test. A friend of mine mistakenly took all his old US visas etc to CIC official and this CIC official issued him residence questions so the lesson is - DO NOT TAKE ANY EXTRA DOCUMENT OTHER THAN THOSE REQUESTED FOR APPOINTMENT WITH CICI OFFICIAL DURING INTERVIEW.

Officer thought applicant is traveling frequently to the US even during relevant period so he issued him residence bullshit. THis fellow applied right after 1098 days of residence in Canada where 1095 days are required for residence eligibility.
I liked how you called RQ "residence bullshit"

Panda_Bear

Jan 8, 2017
It seems that many people do not leave enough buffer (or do not even wait till residency requirement is met), which clogs the system with applications that are later rejected... or need further information.

I wish the application was all online and the computer simply blocked those applications... the processing time would be a lot shorter. It is simply waste of government resources (and taxpayer money) to go through applications that are not eligible due to applicant cannot wait one extra month to ensure residency requirement is met...