+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath - What to Bring? IDs

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
Hi there,

What documents to bring for Oath?

I saw many pll confused for the test because PR Card has no signature, but the instructions are very clear.: PR Card OR something else.

But for Oath it is confusing because PR Card is listen separately, then there is another independent item "2 pieces of personal identification (ID)" where PR Card is AGAIN mentioned.

So, do you need 2 IDs or PR Card + 2 IDs (total 3 IDs)?

To make it more confusing, the item "2 pieces of personal identification ID" says the document has to have signature, and although the PR Card hasn't, it is nevertheless mentioned as an example.

Here's a concrete example where interpretation becomes a problem: I literally have ONLY 2 IDs: the passport of my birth country I left ages ago and my PR Card. I have no driving license and my provincial health card expired.

What do you think?

-----TEST:

You need a photo ID, like

your permanent resident card (even if it’s expired) or
a valid (not expired) ID with your photo and signature on it (for example, driver’s licence or health card)

-----OATH:

What to bring
When you come to the ceremony, bring:

• your ceremony notice
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with the notice)
  • permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002
  • 2 pieces of personal identification (ID)
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
    • minors are not required to show identification with a signature
  • all your passports and travel documents, current and expired, that you listed on the application form
  • optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship

sookie85

Apr 30, 2014
Kosovo
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
09-05-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
07-08-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2016
Med's Done....
13-06-2016
Interview........
09-05-2016
Passport Req..
28-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2016
Hi there,

What documents to bring for Oath?

I saw many pll confused for the test because PR Card has no signature, but the instructions are very clear.: PR Card OR something else.

But for Oath it is confusing because PR Card is listen separately, then there is another independent item "2 pieces of personal identification (ID)" where PR Card is AGAIN mentioned.

So, do you need 2 IDs or PR Card + 2 IDs (total 3 IDs)?

To make it more confusing, the item "2 pieces of personal identification ID" says the document has to have signature, and although the PR Card hasn't, it is nevertheless mentioned as an example.

Here's a concrete example where interpretation becomes a problem: I literally have ONLY 2 IDs: the passport of my birth country I left ages ago and my PR Card. I have no driving license and my provincial health card expired.

What do you think?

-----TEST:

You need a photo ID, like

your permanent resident card (even if it’s expired) or
a valid (not expired) ID with your photo and signature on it (for example, driver’s licence or health card)

-----OATH:

What to bring
When you come to the ceremony, bring:

• your ceremony notice
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with the notice)
  • permanent resident card if you have one (even if it’s expired) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688)
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000) if you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002
  • 2 pieces of personal identification (ID)
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
    • minors are not required to show identification with a signature
  • all your passports and travel documents, current and expired, that you listed on the application form
  • optional: a holy book, of your choice, if you want to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship
Hi,

PR card and provincial health card should suffice. In my oath letter it is also mentioned PR card + Confirmation of Permanent Residence and a good pair of scissors to cut them both.

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Hi,

PR card and provincial health card should suffice. In my oath letter it is also mentioned PR card + Confirmation of Permanent Residence and a good pair of scissors to cut them both.
Cut them both ? As in cut your COPR also ? The COPR is a very important document needed in your old age for pension etc ..are you absolutely sure you were asked to cut it ?

Last edited:

sookie85

Apr 30, 2014
Kosovo
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
09-05-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
07-08-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2016
Med's Done....
13-06-2016
Interview........
09-05-2016
Passport Req..
28-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2016
But them both ? As in cut your COPR also ? The COPR is a very important document needed in your old age for pension etc ..are you absolutely sure you were asked to cut it ?
Absolutely, the letter explicitly mentions PR card (even if it is expired) and Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
But them both ? As in cut your COPR also ? The COPR is a very important document needed in your old age for pension etc ..are you absolutely sure you were asked to cut it ?
Absolutely, the letter explicitly mentions PR card (even if it is expired) and Confirmation of Permanent Residence.
Huh? You ONLY have to cut your PR card. COPR is an extremely important document and you have to keep it safely because you need it later in your life for old age security benefits etc. You do NOT cut your COPR at the ceremony. You only cut the PR card.

You will still need to have your COPR with you at the ceremony.

Reactions: GuyanaGirl

sookie85

Apr 30, 2014
Kosovo
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
09-05-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
07-08-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2016
Med's Done....
13-06-2016
Interview........
09-05-2016
Passport Req..
28-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2016
Huh? You ONLY have to cut your PR card. COPR is an extremely important document and you have to keep it safely because you need it later in your life for old age security benefits etc. You do NOT cut your COPR at the ceremony. You only cut the PR card.

You will still need to have your COPR with you at the ceremony.
I know, it's just IRCC's grammatically ill formed sentences.

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
I know, it's just IRCC's grammatically ill formed sentences.
But, again, imagine you are NOT a driver (no driver license) and you've just spent more than 6 months outside Canada (so NO health card, because you had to surrender it).

What would you bring to meet their Oath ID request?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
But, again, imagine you are NOT a driver (no driver license) and you've just spent more than 6 months outside Canada (so NO health card, because you had to surrender it).

What would you bring to meet their Oath ID request?
Based on new list in oath invite, it looks like PR card and Passport should be fine.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/september-2020-citizenship-applicants.700718/page-237#post-9600917
"
4. 2 Pieces of Personal Identification - PR Card, Driving License or Foreign document
"