+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath & special authorization

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Hi,

I’m so confused. Someone please guide.

my husband got invitation for oath for next week. But the issue is we have to travel outside Canada in a couple of weeks.

And I don’t think we can get citizenship certificate and/or passport on time.

Also, we are from visa exempt country.

so we are confused if we should reschedule our oath or apply for ‘special authorization’ while coming back?

what are the chances of special authorization getting approved? Is it a guaranteed approval?

please help.
Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,

I’m so confused. Someone please guide.

my husband got invitation for oath for next week. But the issue is we have to travel outside Canada in a couple of weeks.

And I don’t think we can get citizenship certificate and/or passport on time.

Also, we are from visa exempt country.

so we are confused if we should reschedule our oath or apply for ‘special authorization’ while coming back?

what are the chances of special authorization getting approved? Is it a guaranteed approval?

please help.
Thanks
Have you checked the possibility of e-Certificate: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/after-apply-next-steps.html
With e-Certificate you can apply for Canadian passport on urgent basis and can receive the passport within the same week if not the same day. Apply only through Passport Canada office (and not Service Canada)

marygbrasil

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
If the ceremony is in person, you’ll receive the certificate on hand and then you can apply for urgent passport processing and receive it in under 3 business days. You can also try the e-certificate option mentioned above! From what I know, IRCC is open to rescheduling if you have a good reason for it so you can also try that option to get some peace of mind. Good luck!

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Given that oath rescheduling can be tricky at times, unless your travel is life changing, it just might be worth getting the oath out of the way. A little money spent in moving tickets / hotel, probably saves the stress of wondering when you are going to get the next date and whether there might be more pressing circumstances then.

lila777

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
If the ceremony is in person, you’ll receive the certificate on hand and then you can apply for urgent passport processing and receive it in under 3 business days. You can also try the e-certificate option mentioned above! From what I know, IRCC is open to rescheduling if you have a good reason for it so you can also try that option to get some peace of mind. Good luck!
My understanding is that you can't just apply for an e-certificate by yourself. You have to be invited and agree to it.