+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath on feb 14th, but traveling on mar 19, pr card confusion

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
No we understood, I don't think you fully got that you don't need the PR card because with a Canadian passport you don't even need a visa for DR

ANyway congrats on the citizenship!
right but that was the original problem - cutting up the pr card and then not receiving the certificate in time to apply for a passport would essentially cause me to not fly

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
maybe i mistyped, or you guys misunderstood. i am aware that i cannot enter the DR without the PR card
My point was only that a PR card is just like an expired passport if you're not a PR. A piece of memorabilia, but nothing else. Even in the unlikely case you would have kept it but couldn't secure a passport on time, you would have needed to cancel or postpone your flight.

Anyway, that's a moot point now, hope your passport application goes quickly. Congrats on the citizenship and enjoy your vacation! :)

Reactions: Yourname

Onascale

Sep 2, 2021
hey guys,

so i have my oath on feb 14th and apparently they will ask me to cut my PR card during the ceremony. thing is, im traveling on march 19 and will need my card.

otherwise i have to wait for citizenship certificate to arrive in the mail (which i see could take up to 2 weeks), and then maybe do an urgent/express passport application (anecdotal evidence says first passport application cannot be expressed?)

if i tell them during oath, will they let me keep the PR card for travel?
i want to take the oath and not disrupt/delay the oath just because i have to travel - who knows with covid what other headaches might come my way. i dont want to regret later and say what people say "should have never delayed the oath!" lol
So, it begins for you. How did your oath go? Best of luck on your next few steps and Congratulations again.

Onascale

Sep 2, 2021
@Yourname I just wanted to update you. My husband had his oath Feb 16, we emailed them to process certificate urgently with proof for ticket and we got the certificate today Feb 25. Hope you receive(d) yours on time as well.

danielvalenca

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Guys, I am in the same situation that you guys had back in February. My oath is scheduled for September 27 and I have a trip booked for October 8. What did you guys do? Were you able to attend oath and apply for a passport in time or were you able to travel without a passport in hand and return to Canada?

I didn't want to postpone my Citizenship at all, however, my time between oath and trip is too tight.