+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath after Citizenship Test

ghsamim

Sep 7, 2018
Hello,
I applied for Canadian citizenship in Oct. 2017. I had miscalculated my physical residency by two days. So, my case was referred to a citizenship judge and she gave me a negative decision in my absence. although her letter with negative decision explained that I had two choices--either to reapply immediately or appeal to federal court for a review. I found review takes 8months and the decision could go any direction. So, I reapplied in Nov. 2018 and since then all is going well. I submitted a fingerprint, passed criminality check, and took the citizenship test.
I passed the test on June 13 followed by an interview with a citizenship officer. He checked the stamps in my passport. He said that all was good and the next step would be citizenship ceremony and oath of citizenship for me. However, he said that he was waiting for the result of my security check. Now, I am waiting for an invitation letter.
Has anyone else had the same experience with the same timeline as for me? Could you tell me how things have moved for you? thanks for replying.

DanielQ

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
Hello,
I applied for Canadian citizenship in Oct. 2017. I had miscalculated my physical residency by two days. So, my case was referred to a citizenship judge and she gave me a negative decision in my absence. although her letter with negative decision explained that I had two choices--either to reapply immediately or appeal to federal court for a review. I found review takes 8months and the decision could go any direction. So, I reapplied in Nov. 2018 and since then all is going well. I submitted a fingerprint, passed criminality check, and took the citizenship test.
I passed the test on June 13 followed by an interview with a citizenship officer. He checked the stamps in my passport. He said that all was good and the next step would be citizenship ceremony and oath of citizenship for me. However, he said that he was waiting for the result of my security check. Now, I am waiting for an invitation letter.
Has anyone else had the same experience with the same timeline as for me? Could you tell me how things have moved for you? thanks for replying.
Are you serious they sent you to see judge for miscalculated 2 days only? Were you still residence more than 1095 days even you miscalculated 2 days?

ghsamim

Sep 7, 2018
Yes. The first time I applied was on Oct. 2, 2017, and it was under Bill C-24 and the residency requirement was four years (1460 days) out of six years. I was two days short meaning I had 1458 days. I had only miscalculated the two days through an innocent mistake in my calculation. I had not entered the arrival days from two trips in the online calculator. The citizenship officer referred my case to a citizenship judge and the CJ decided in my absence and refused my application. I reapplied immediately (in Nov. 2018) and I just passed the citizenship test (two weeks ago) and now waiting for the Oath of citizenship. However, I have to wait until IRCC receive the result of my security check from whomever they are working with.

ghsamim

Sep 7, 2018
I have been a Canadian PR since July 31, 2013, and prior to that an international student for two years.