Nov 10, 2018
Hi all

My mother in law, 70 Years old, has the following situation:

1. Lived in Spain for 11 years as resident
  2. Worked 4 years out of the 11
  3. Was sponsored 5 years ago by us
  4. She is now a Canadian citizen
When can she apply to OAS and even GIS?

Given that it says that time she worked or lived in Spain counts in favor of the Canadian pension, ofc knowing that she was sponsored after the rule changed.

Thanks in advance

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi all

Given that it says that time she worked or lived in Spain counts in favor of the Canadian pension, ofc knowing that she was sponsored after the rule changed.

Thanks in advance
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/eligibility.html#

Note . Her working is irrelevant

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all

Thanks in advance
OAS - she can apply once she has lived in Canada for 10 years.
GIS - be eligible for OAS and

If you are an immigrant who is sponsored
If you are a sponsored immigrant and have lived in Canada for less than 10 years after age 18, you cannot receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement while you are sponsored unless your sponsor:

• suffers personal bankruptcy
  • is imprisoned for more than 6 months
  • is convicted of abusing you
  • dies

So once she has lived in Canada for 10 years she may be eligible. Working has nothing to do with OAS/GIS

CPP is a different plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi all

Thanks in advance
The OAS is tied to the GIS. If they dont qualify to receive the OAS, they won’t get the GIS .

This is why when sponsoring parents etc you want to make sure you can afford to support them.

It should not be an afterthought

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

jortizv

Nov 10, 2018
Thanks for the replies, not interested in starting an argument, things change like affordability in Canada has gone through the roof, and it wasn't 5 years ago, my intention was to get some guidance of what people are doing in a similar situation and not looking for criticism.

What brings me to ask this question was the following paragraphs:

If you do not qualify for a Canada Pension Plan benefit based on your contributions to the CPP, Canada will consider your periods of insurance under the Spanish pension program as periods of contribution to the Canada Pension Plan.

If you do not qualify for an Old Age Security pension based on your years of residence in Canada, Canada will consider periods during which you resided in Spain after the age of 18 as periods of residence in Canada.

From https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-international/spain.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the replies, not interested in starting an argument, things change like affordability in Canada has gone through the roof, and it wasn't 5 years ago, my intention was to get some guidance of what people are doing in a similar situation and not looking for criticism.

If you do not qualify for a Canada Pension Plan benefit based on your contributions to the CPP, Canada will consider your periods of insurance under the Spanish pension program as periods of contribution to the Canada Pension Plan.

If you do not qualify for an Old Age Security pension based on your years of residence in Canada, Canada will consider periods during which you resided in Spain after the age of 18 as periods of residence in Canada.

From https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-international/spain.html
Where is the criticsm? As for CPP, she will need to follow directions whether she can access CPP based on her Spanish income. Or she applies for Spanish benefits.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

What’s too argue ?
Policy is policy . We’re not the ones on the hook to support them.

Btw, all the information in regards to qualifying for CPP/OAS/GIS was online five years ago. It’s there so people are aware of what they may get .

It’s akin to those that bought & mortgaged houses when interest rates were low . Interest rates aren’t low anymore . Mortgage payments are higher. People deal with it

It is what it is

Last edited:

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I'm looking for similar info for my mom. She is a sponsored parent who will turn 65 this October. But I'm not sure from when I should count her living years in Canada.
  1. She lived in Canada on Supervisa (TRV) from 2014-2016 (over 2 years)
  2. She then lived in Canada as a PR from 2016-2023
  3. She got her citizenship last year and has been living as Citizen since then
For OAS purpose, if I count her living from her immigration, it would be 10 years in Oct 2026. If I count her living from pre-PR time, she will be eligible this year. Which one is right?
Also, do her absences need to be counted (like citizneship application)?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm looking for similar info for my mom. She is a sponsored parent who will turn 65 this October. But I'm not sure from when I should count her living years in Canada.
For OAS purpose, if I count her living from her immigration, it would be 10 years in Oct 2026. If I count her living from pre-PR time, she will be eligible this year. Which one is right?
Since she became PR.

Reactions: YVR123 and Rossei

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When will people understand that you are visiting on a supervisa it is not a move to Canada. Length of time spent outside of Canada may impact qualifying for OAS/GIS. How much time did she live outside of Canada?

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
LICO is way too low to be supporting a senior. For example it will be impossible for most who sponsored their parents to pay for LTC bed even when they eventually get OAS/GIS. Most don’t have $1500+ a month for a bed fee. Sure many are using foodbanks too if they are even remotely close to LICO cutoff.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all

Thanks in advance
She is only 5 years in your 20 years undertaking. (PGP undertaking before January 2014 was 10 years)
Her work in Spain doesn't count.
She will be under your care until 85. Give some thoughts to saving/budgeting for the future years.