+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NZ Citizen with Irish Citizenship - 2 working holidays??

Blackley

Jan 24, 2015
Hi all,

I can't seem to get clarity on my situation and I wonder if anyone is in the same boat.

I have only a 1 year working holiday visa as a NZ citizen. As I have a job that I love and I hope to get residency in Canada one day to study my masters (one thats not offered in NZ) I need to find a way to stay. I think I have 2 options:

My boss is willing to file an LMIA for me as she eventually wants me to take over most managerial duties from her. I am admin at an exercise therapy studio that specializes in rehab. It's a small, privately owned business and I currently am there 25 hours a week but in March I will move to 30 as I take over the accounts and other responsibilities. She has tried Canadian citizens in my place before me but did not think they were right for the job, she has advertised and given Canadian citizens an opportunity in the role. My problem is I am not sure my role as admin/assistant manager would end in a positive LMIA as I am also on $15 an hour which apparently makes a difference when applying and I can't find a clear NOC for my role Im looking at 0513 - Recreation, sports and fitness program and service directors, 1414 Receptionist or 0114 Other administrative services managers

- I guess Im worried that it will cost $1000 and if it is negative then thats a big loss, Im not sure how strong my case is.

Second option:

I also have Irish citizenship and a passport through my grandparents but I have never lived in Ireland. Does anyone know if it's legal to apply for the Irish working holiday before my NZ one is up and leave and then re-enter on the Irish passport? I feel like it should be possible but because technically as a NZer Im only allowed one year im not sure if they will allow me to get another one on a different passport.

Any advice, tips, personal stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kiwisteph

Star Member
Sep 28, 2013
I remember reading about being able to apply for the NZ IEC as well as Australian one if you had both citizenships, the websites have changed now so hard to find that info but there are heaps of other dual citizens asking about it if you google it.

I'd say it's possible depending on the Irish criteria for the IEC visa

Good luck

Blackley

Jan 24, 2015
I can't find any of the new regulations for NZ citizens anywhere but I did hear that It may change to 2 years, I don't think I would be able to participate anyway as I have already used my one working holiday. An LMIA is a Labor Market Impact Assessment that a potential employer needs to fill out to sponsor a foreign employee, basically to see whether the foreign employee is necessary over a Canadian citizen. Thanks guys, I'll keep researching and see what I can come up with :)