+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NURSES of Ontario (Toronto)

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Yes My hubby too! We applied through CNO on 10th November 2011 and they came back asking for transcrip in school, So am hopping they have now received them. He has degree in Mental Health but we applied for RPN as he does not have exp on general nursing. Hopping the outcome will be out soon.

canyeah_Can

Mar 1, 2011
So you mean RN jobs are difficult to find in Toronto. Could you please suggest good websites for RN job postings in canada. Thank you.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
RN you will get jobs on those fields. If you read my comment I think I explained, he did Mental Health Nursing so he has experience in Psychiatric nursing which we came to find registration for Psychiatric nursing in ontario is not available, so we decided for General nusing which he does not have much experience on thus we applied for RPN instead on RN and then once he is registered we can then work on getting an RN licence

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I currently work in Toronto.

There are lots of jobs after you get registered as an RN in Toronto but its hard sometimes difficult (most especially for internationally educated nurses) to get a full time job when they first start working. What I mean is that you will be able to work full time hours by working in several hospital through a nursing agency. But it may be hard for you to get a full time job at one hospital at first. Almost all nursing agencies will pay you much better than the hospital but of course, this is in lieu of benefits. This means, while a nurse at most hospitals in the first year gets paid $29/hour. It is not uncommon for nursing agencies to pay $35/per hour or more. However, you are not guaranteed hours and there are no added benefits.

You can search for jobs on www.jobbank.gc.ca
www.workopolis.ca
www.rnao.org Go to the job site link
The other thing is to go to each hospitals website to search on their career page. The link to all toronto area hospitals can be found here.
Most of this hospitals advertise their jobs on workopolis (but not all)

As I said, it may be difficult to get a job directly with this hospitals as nurses who have worked part time for them are given higher consideration, followed by nurses who have worked w with them through an agency, then individuals with comparable canadian experience in that particular field. It may be much easier starting with agency pending the time you get a full time job.

There are several agencies for nurses in Toronto and you can google them. Here are some that comes to my head
Bayshore, its actually not an agency, its a home care provider so they hire full time
VON, also a homecare provider, also hire full time
St. Elizabeth also a home care provider, also hire full time

Other agency
NHI, Spectrum Health, ParaMed, We Care, srt med staff, canadian foriegn nurses corp, tlc, carecor, and the list goes on.

There are many rural areas in Ontario that are in great need of nurses. With severe nursing shortage. Normally its only a limited amount of nurses working together and it is not uncommon for a nurse or two to work alone in a region with support through communication technology tools. Also indviduals who work in this regions recieve added benefits.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

bebe05

Star Member
Feb 14, 2011
Caloocan City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 17,2010
AOR Received.
PER- Mar.9,2011
LANDED..........
Aug. 27, 2011 !!!!
RN,

thanks for the infos...well i guess you're one of the best person to ask regarding which category is more advisable to apply for registration initially, RPN or RN?

Rekha Arun

Star Member
Aug 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV.09
Doc's Request.
FEB. 10
IELTS Request
APR'10
File Transfer...
APR'10
Med's Request
OCT'10
Med's Done....
NOV'10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
NOV'10
VISA ISSUED...
FEB14'11
LANDED..........
BY JULY 11
bebe05 said:
RN,

thanks for the infos...well i guess you're one of the best person to ask regarding which category is more advisable to apply for registration initially, RPN or RN?
hello dear,
If you go through the thread properly, you'll find that was me who iniatiated the question of RN-RPN? clarification in the first.
So you will have to recognise me in that case.

Thanks,

bebe05

Star Member
Feb 14, 2011
Caloocan City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 17,2010
AOR Received.
PER- Mar.9,2011
LANDED..........
Aug. 27, 2011 !!!!
Rekha Arun said:
hello dear,
If you go through the thread properly, you'll find that was me who iniatiated the question of RN-RPN? clarification in the first.
So you will have to recognise me in that case.

Thanks,
Oh dear, i haven't gone through that thread yet...Anyway big thanks & i'll start searching for that one. :-*

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The answer depends on the province and your situation.

If it is for Ontario. If you have a 3 year diploma, you should apply for RPN and then upgrade to RN once you have some cash. If you have a degree, equivalent to Canada (i.e. your training includes pediatrics, mental health, obstetrics and medicine) and has the required minimum practice and theory hours here http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/new-applicants/international/ then you should apply for RN. There is no point applying for lesser than your training is worth and at the same time there is no point applying for a position that you dont have enough qualifications for .

Note that it is not uncommon for the process to take 8 months to 2 years. Its too bad, the cost of registration just drastically increased, more than double or tripple, Im not sure if its been implemented yet. The exam pass rate is much lower for internationally educated nurses (I think around 35% fail). You have 3 chances to pass. Once you fail the 3rd time, you cannot practice as a nurse, unless you go back and redo nursing school.

I have heard it may be easier or faster process to become a nurse in alberta but Im not sure if this is true and I have no further information on practicing in alberta.

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
RN said:
Hello,

There are lots of jobs after you get registered as an RN in Toronto but its hard sometimes difficult (most especially for internationally educated nurses) to get a full time job when they first start working. What I mean is that you will be able to work full time hours by working in several hospital through a nursing agency. But it may be hard for you to get a full time job at one hospital at first. Almost all nursing agencies will pay you much better than the hospital but of course, this is in lieu of benefits. This means, while a nurse at most hospitals in the first year gets paid $29/hour. It is not uncommon for nursing agencies to pay $35/per hour or more. However, you are not guaranteed hours and there are no added benefits.

www.workopolis.ca
The other thing is to go to each hospitals website to search on their career page. The link to all toronto area hospitals can be found here.

As I said, it may be difficult to get a job directly with this hospitals as nurses who have worked part time for them are given higher consideration, followed by nurses who have worked w with them through an agency, then individuals with comparable canadian experience in that particular field. It may be much easier starting with agency pending the time you get a full time job.

There are several agencies for nurses in Toronto and you can google them. Here are some that comes to my head
Bayshore, its actually not an agency, its a home care provider so they hire full time

Other agency
NHI, Spectrum Health, ParaMed, We Care, srt med staff, canadian foriegn nurses corp, tlc, carecor, and the list goes on.

There are many rural areas in Ontario that are in great need of nurses. With severe nursing shortage. Normally its only a limited amount of nurses working together and it is not uncommon for a nurse or two to work alone in a region with support through communication technology tools. Also indviduals who work in this regions recieve added benefits.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
RN said:
Hello,

www.workopolis.ca

Other agency

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

thanks for your post. this may help us..

Sarass01

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London CHC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2009
Doc's Request.
Jan 2010
AOR Received.
Jan 2010
IELTS Request
Already Submitted along with application
Med's Request
Received 27/01/2012 and august 2012
Med's Done....
February 2012 and september 12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
January 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
RN said:
Hello,

www.workopolis.ca

Other agency

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Hi RN,

Thank you very much for ur update.
I am an RN (IEN) currently working outside Canada ,if i secure a job through agency,is there any likelihood i can get LMO and work visa.?

Sarass
T

canyeah_Can

Mar 1, 2011
hi RN thank you for the information, its very helpful. So you are saying home care provider jobs are easy to get as supposed to working in the hospitals. Do the registry's through whom you work in a hospitals give you 13 week contracts or is it like per diem you get intimated 2 hrs in advance on a daily basis.

Being a beginner I wouldn't want to do the home care provider job, because its 100% travel , and secondly on the lighter side,not a big concern but you don't know whose house u r getting into. I know getting jobs itself is very difficult being picky doesn't help but, job satisfaction is important too.

65% pass rate sounds scary, please suggest any good reference books, do they have Kaplans there too. I am still awaiting on the approval from the board from Ontario, I already have my approval from BC, they were really quick 1 month.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Sarass,

With most agency, if you secure a job it is casual. With a casual job, I highly doubt if you will be able to get an LMO. But you may want to ask other people with knowledge in terms of casual job. A few agency will guarantee you full time hours. With this, it may be possible to get a LMO.
I know there are some recruitment agency that sponsors IEN to work in Canada. For example, I think there was one that recruited around 100 IEN a few years ago to work in manitoba and alberta. But I have no idea the name or contact information or anything else of this agencies.

Hello Canyeah

No, I am not saying home care providers are easy to get. I am saying that part time and casual jobs are easier to get than full time jobs. You can easily work in the hospital, but it may be difficult to get a full time job working 40 hours a week (although you may be lucky to get it), especially if you are NOT picky about location. It is easy to get a job working in a hospital through an agency. This means, you are hired by the agency (not the hospital) and you work at the hospital. Your work location will not be constant, they may send you to one hospital today and another hospital tommorrow or another unit tommorrow. Also, there is usually no guaranteed hours, although it is often not a problem for nurses to get a 40 hour work. For example, my sister who graduated in Canada as a nurse in June, is still looking for a full time job. Meanwhile, she is working in homecare, doing home visit for sick patients discharged from the hospital. Her friend who graduated as a RN in July is also still looking for full time job. She works doing home visit and also through an agency, working in a hospital. When I graduated in 2004 from a university in Canada, I was lucky. I finished my courses in April, did my graduation in June, wrote my exam in June, got a job as a nursing student at summer camp in July (getting a job at a summer camp is quite easy but low pay, you are without your family and only over the summer), and in early August I became a Registered nurse and started working in September full time at a teaching hospital. Also, while working, I was working full time at a teaching hospital, worked for an agency (NHI) casual.

The notice you get when you work through an agency is not much. Sometimes they can call you 1-4 hours ahead of time and cancel your shift. And they may call you for a shift and tell you to try to get there within an hour. You have an option of accepting and declining shifts (this is the luxury). When I use to work once in a while for agency, they sometimes give me 1 week advance notice and other times only like 4-6 hours notice. Getting enough hours working through an agency is not a problem as many people will work with many agency at the same time, the problem is the lack of stability, and benefits. Some people actually prefer to work with an agency than work in a hospital because of the higher pay and the flexibility (you can decide to not work anytime you like). If you are a RN and you get a 3 month certificate in intensive care, agencies will pay like 50-60 per hour while working directly for the hospital will pay 29-40 per hour.

Yes, if you mind the travel, it may be a problem working with home care agency. But normally, if you work as a homecare nurse, you get paid for the time you spend traveling. You almost always need a car and a drivers licence for home care or home visit jobs. When I worked full time doing home visit for Toronto Public Health it was around 50 cents per kilometer when you travel. Also, because of the time you spend traveling you are paid more. Yes, safety may be a problem. However, Canada is one of the safest countries to live in. I didnt find this a major concern when I did home visit but it depends on the area you work

I dont suggest you use Kaplan, unless to understand pathophysio stuffs, if you do dont focus on it. Kaplan is america and the american and canadian exam are extremely different. American exam is focused on physical stuffs, Canadian exam is more psychosocial/ethical/legal. I must still say there are clinical stuffs to in the canadian exam on maternity, med surg, psy, public health and pediatrics. I recommend the Canadian Registered Nurse Exame Preparation Guide available here http://www.cna-nurses.ca/CNA/nursing/rnexam/preptools/default_e.aspx This is made by the same people that set the RN exam. Make sure you not only read it but also know the rationale why it is not a specific answer and why every single answer is wrong. If you miss any question, read up on it. The other thing I advice is to look at the entry to practice guideline. See here http://www.cno.org/Global/docs/reg/41037_EntryToPracitic_final.pdf Although you may not get direct questions from this, but the questions are set to test your knowledge in this area as well as the physical stuffs.

Congraulations on your approval Canyeah, which country are you from.

If you have more questions for me, please post here and also mail me to remind me to check the board if I dont reply. Or is there a way to set the website so that when I reeive a reply to a post, you get notified by email

Hope this helps

canyeah_Can

Mar 1, 2011
Hi RN thank you so much for the information, it helps a lot, I will go through the links you provided, your posts are so helpful and informative.
I am from India, have 10 yrs experience 5 from home town and 5 in US as RN. My husbands employer has asked him to relocate and also we have PR so I am trying to get the information for exam and the opportunities there. thanks again.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Great you found it helpful. Remember to give my postings a good rating.

Good to know more about your specific case. Your case is quite different as you have experience comparable to Canadian since you have american experience. This will greatly increase your chances of getting a job in Canada. And the exprience will make it much easier for you to adjust. With your north american experience, if you register as a registered nurse, you will be able to get a job in a hospital, but it will most likely be part time at first. However, if you register as a practical nurse, it will be more difficult to get a job in a hospital, as there are much fewer positions for practical nurses in hospital. What you may want to target if you get registered as a practical nurse is to get a job in a chronic care hospitals. By chronic care hospitals, I mean hospitals without emergency department, especially rehabilitation hospital. In Toronto, you can consider hospitals such as Westpark Hospital, Bridgepoint Hospital, Toronto Rehabilitation, St. Johns Rehabilitation, Runnymede Hosptial, Providence Healthcare. They hire more practical nurses than acute care hospitals, such as Sick Kids, Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margareth, Toronto Western, Toronto East General, Centennary, Scarborough General etc. Nursing homes hire much more practical nurses, and it will be much more easier to get into.

The good thing about your case is that your husband has a job. and I think it will probably be good paying. Good for you. The unfortunate thing is that you wont be able to register or get a job as a RN if you dont have a degree. You will be able to register as a Practical Nurse and I described the difference between a practical nurse and Registered nurse in one of my postings. Practical nurse in Toronto, Ontario do a whole lot more than practical nurse in the US, including inserting and monitoring intravenous infussions in many hospitals. After registering as a practical nurse, you can work part time and go to school full time. The main school that offers upgrading for nurses with 3 year diploma who want to become a registered nurse is York University, Located in Toronto. Its a 2 year degree program for nurses with a 3 year diploma. You can google them, you will most likely be directed to this program if you have a 3 year diploma.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,