+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2023 **inland** spousal applications

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
Also
The average waiting time to receive PR for inland applicants is 12 months, and for Quebec it's 26 months. So the benefit of the OWP is ability to work within 4-6 months rather than 12-24 months (depending on your province). Additionally, the OWP allows you to remain in Canada as a Worker. Which means your status is tied to your work permit rather than your Visitor Record or other Temporary Visa. So there are clear benefits, but it still takes a hot min for the OWP to be processed, unfortunately.
Also you will be to enrol in the province medical health (at least in Quebec) which is a big plus

Reactions: SkyEarth

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
Thank you !
What we did in our case we combined all the documents in on PDF file and attached it to the client information. We didn't send the family information file. Ours got approved yesterday ( applied 2nd Dec)

ishyyyy

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Does your medical from the past (had it for my student visa last 2019) reflected on gckey or pr tracker? No update since my bio

MTS950

Jan 18, 2024
Hello, I had applied on 20th Nov, Got my AIP/SA on 9th Jan. PR Tracker shows background is in progress, since jan 4th, rest all are marked complete(GC Key still shows eligibility in check). Just wanted to check the average timelines for inland from AIP-ECOPR.
Also, should I apply for OWP or wait for the COPR, as the timeline shown online for OWP is 120 days. Thanks!

GloryAlemseged

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
I applied on November 10, biometric and Medical completed but I still did not receive AIP and SE. how long takes to receive these eligibility

SkyEarth

Nov 20, 2023
Trends show that January tends to be a slow time for Family Class Sponsorship applications to begin with, so it's not unusual for movement to stall during the first month of the new year.

Hello, I had applied on 20th Nov, Got my AIP/SA on 9th Jan. PR Tracker shows background is in progress, since jan 4th, rest all are marked complete(GC Key still shows eligibility in check). Just wanted to check the average timelines for inland from AIP-ECOPR.
Also, should I apply for OWP or wait for the COPR, as the timeline shown online for OWP is 120 days. Thanks!
The background check is typically the longest portion of the process. They do a Criminality Check, Security Check, and Information Sharing (basically checking international databases from multiple different countries for your details). This involves communication between three agencies: CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency), CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service), IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada).

So the back-and-forth on the background check can be very quick for some people (2 weeks), or very slow for others (9-18 months). On average they say to expect a minimum of 1-2 months, though I've been seeing trends indicative of more of a 4-6 month wait. Whether or not you wanna apply for an OWP or wait is kinda up to you, your financial situation, and whether or not you wanna have work while waiting for other things to process and finalize.

I applied on November 10, biometric and Medical completed but I still did not receive AIP and SE. how long takes to receive these eligibility
Your and your sponsor's eligibility depends on where your citizenship is from (because some places have certain public policies at the moment) and other factors related to your spouse/sponsor and their histories, financials, etc. They basically want to make sure that your sponsor is going to be able to support you and that your relationship with the sponsor is not only valid but also genuine. So this process could be very short if it's clear the sponsor meets all the requirements, or it could be very long if there are more complicated things to consider.

There's not really a definitive timeframe for how long this portion takes because it's handled case-by-case. And, it can also depend on the province you're immigrating to.

For example, I'm going to Quebec and I've received the invitation to apply for sponsor undertaking -- this usually means that the sponsor has met the eligibility requirements at a federal level, but now needs to meet the requirements at a provincial level. So for someone like me, the eligibility would take about 1-3 months once the province begins reviewing the application. And in the meantime, while things are being reviewed at a provincial level, my federal level trackers will continue to indicate that the eligibility has "not started".

Last edited:
Reactions: MTS950

MTS950

Jan 18, 2024
Thanks for your detailed reply! Was confused about the OWP as the average timeline for background check (as shared in the master google docs sheet) was around 2~2.5 months- if it is shared with the OWP background process, guessing that both COPR and OWP should be processed at the same time?. Guess I'll just apply for the OWP and wait some more :)

GloryAlemseged

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
Trends show that January tends to be a slow time for Family Class Sponsorship applications to begin with, so it's not unusual for movement to stall during the first month of the new year.

The background check is typically the longest portion of the process. They do a Criminality Check, Security Check, and Information Sharing (basically checking international databases from multiple different countries for your details). This involves communication between three agencies: CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency), CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service), IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada).

So the back-and-forth on the background check can be very quick for some people (2 weeks), or very slow for others (9-18 months). On average they say to expect a minimum of 1-2 months, though I've been seeing trends indicative of more of a 4-6 month wait. Whether or not you wanna apply for an OWP or wait is kinda up to you, your financial situation, and whether or not you wanna have work while waiting for other things to process and finalize.

Your and your sponsor's eligibility depends on where your citizenship is from (because some places have certain public policies at the moment) and other factors related to your spouse/sponsor and their histories, financials, etc. They basically want to make sure that your sponsor is going to be able to support you and that your relationship with the sponsor is not only valid but also genuine. So this process could be very short if it's clear the sponsor meets all the requirements, or it could be very long if there are more complicated things to consider.

There's not really a definitive timeframe for how long this portion takes because it's handled case-by-case. And, it can also depend on the province you're immigrating to.

For example, I'm going to Quebec and I've received the invitation to apply for sponsor undertaking -- this usually means that the sponsor has met the eligibility requirements at a federal level, but now needs to meet the requirements at a provincial level. So for someone like me, the eligibility would take about 1-3 months once the province begins reviewing the application. And in the meantime, while things are being reviewed at a provincial level, my federal level trackers will continue to indicate that the eligibility has "not started".
Thank you so much! Some people said that financial ability of sponsor is not requirement for family(spouse) sponsorship. Means…..no minimum requirement