+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2018 Outland Applicants (Spousal Sponsorship)

chikki282

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
14-11-2018
Doc's Request.
28-03-2019
AOR Received.
16-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
04-03-2019
Passport Req..
27-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-06-2019
I'm new to this Chat. My time line is
Nov 26th 2018 - Application Delivered
Jan 22nd 2019 - AOR Confirmation

I'm staying in Toronto, but my wife is in India. I used a lawyer to apply and the lawyer told me not to travel to India when the application is in process.

My company is totally fine with me working from India for until my wife's PR gets approved, but my lawyer says not to travel.

Do any of you guys know if there is really any such restrictions that the application should remain in Canada for the PR to get processed and approved.

Also does anyone know here which combination to try to link the application to my GC account. I tried a lot and could not get it to link
I don't know your exact situation but maybe this will help:
https://www.canadim.com/spousal-outland-sponsorship-visit-canada/

chikki282

Star Member
Nov 13, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
14-11-2018
Doc's Request.
28-03-2019
AOR Received.
16-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
04-03-2019
Passport Req..
27-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2019
LANDED..........
21-06-2019
nice to hear you called and got them

could you give me the number and any clue to reaching them
The number I called was: 1-888-242-2100. I think you can only call this number within Canada though...just follow the prompt. Easy enough.

Reactions: rose2rock

ritvik123

Sep 16, 2012
App. Filed.......
7th Dec
Doc's Request.
20 March
AOR Received.
6th Feb
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27th Feb
Med's Request
19th Feb
Med's Done....
25th Feb
Interview........
N/A

arthurmr

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Sorry, could you quote which part or provision of the guide says this? I've read the guide a few times, but I don't recall any travel bans for the sponsor.

On the side, I personally know 2 people who had no problems with the sponsorship of their spouses (both outland) even if they traveled outside Canada more than once during the processing period, including their home countries where their spouses resided then.

I'm new to this Chat. My time line is
Nov 26th 2018 - Application Delivered
Jan 22nd 2019 - AOR Confirmation

I'm staying in Toronto, but my wife is in India. I used a lawyer to apply and the lawyer told me not to travel to India when the application is in process.

My company is totally fine with me working from India for until my wife's PR gets approved, but my lawyer says not to travel.

Do any of you guys know if there is really any such restrictions that the application should remain in Canada for the PR to get processed and approved.

Also does anyone know here which combination to try to link the application to my GC account. I tried a lot and could not get it to link
This plan of staying and working there may be a bit questionable, especially since we're trying to prove Canadian residency. Unless you're already a Canadian citizen, which may have another consideration if you'll be reclassified as a "Canadian citizen living outside Canada."

Short visits or tourism trips outside Canada are reasonable (which is what the people I mentioned above did, which I have been doing as well).

Last edited:

ritvik123

Sep 16, 2012
App. Filed.......
7th Dec
Doc's Request.
20 March
AOR Received.
6th Feb
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27th Feb
Med's Request
19th Feb
Med's Done....
25th Feb
Interview........
N/A
Yes there is no problem for people going on vacations or short trips but the person who asked wants to actually stay for a longer period however IRCC should make it very transparent if a person leaves Canada it should be for how many days maximum!!

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
May i know where its told like that. I heard from some people that you could travel once you get your Sponsorship Approval. Not sure when I will get that
I've done a bit of research for you and found a couple of things that confirm you can't reside outside of Canada whilst sponsoring your applicant:

It's also in Section 130, (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
From another thread I found a few instances where the Sposnor was outside of Canada for a number of months causing their application to be rejected:

In conclusion, it seems fine to go for short visits of 2-3 weeks, but anything longer and you could be at risk of a denial. In my opinion, whilst I understand how hard it is to be away from your partner... I wouldn't risk the overall application.

maxprostomax

Star Member
Jan 22, 2019
This is really strange. Why does the sponsor have to stay in Canada? doesn't make any sense. And I didn't it anywhere in the guide or checklist.

First thing is what do you mean by "reside in Canada"

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
This is really strange. Why does the sponsor have to stay in Canada? doesn't make any sense. And I didn't it anywhere in the guide or checklist.

First thing is what do you mean by "reside in Canada"
If you're a Canadian Citizen you're free to do whatever you like. This stipulation is directed towards PR residents as CIC's website and the regulations I linked state so.

The guide (Guide 5525 – Basic guide: Sponsor your spouse, partner or child) also states the same thing:

• You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

Definition of resides:
1. have one's permanent home in a particular place.
In nvramn's instance, he'd be living in India so would be breaking his sponsorship elgibility. A short visit of one month and under seems to be acceptable and anything more is at risk of denial.

Last edited:
Reactions: schweisy

nvramn

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
26-11-2019
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
If you're a Canadian Citizen you're free to do whatever you like. This stipulation is directed towards PR residents as CIC's website and the regulations I linked state so.

The guide (Guide 5525 – Basic guide: Sponsor your spouse, partner or child) also states the same thing:

• You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

Definition of resides:

In nvramn's instance, he'd be living in India so would be breaking his sponsorship elgibility. A short visit of one month and under seems to be acceptable and anything more is at risk of denial.
But to be honest i personally know some one who was stayed in India for 14 months and successfully sponsored his wife. He was working the whole time and paying taxes here obviously though.

I'm having second thoughts just because my lawyer is telling me to not go.

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
But to be honest i personally know some one who was stayed in India for 14 months and successfully sponsored his wife. He was working the whole time and paying taxes here obviously though.

I'm having second thoughts just because my lawyer is telling me to not go.
Was the person PR or a citizen? I wouldn't risk my application over it, you only need to get interviewed at the border for them to deny your application.

Have you thought about waiting for your SA and then getting your wife to come to Canada. She won't be able to work, but I believe you could apply for a travel visa under duel intent:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Last edited:

nvramn

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
26-11-2019
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
Was the person PR or a naturalized / citizen? I wouldn't risk my application over it, you only need to get interviewed at the border for them to deny your application.

Have you thought about waiting for your SA and then getting your wife to come to Canada. She won't be able to work, but I believe you could apply for a travel visa under duel intent:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html
Actually there are 2 sections of status in ECAS right, one for Sponsor ship application, and other for Permanent Residence . Where do i check the sponsorship status. Will it even show in ECAS or do you have to link the application in the CIC GC portal to see it?

nvramn

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
26-11-2019
AOR Received.
22-01-2019
Was the person PR or a citizen? I wouldn't risk my application over it, you only need to get interviewed at the border for them to deny your application.

The Person was a PR Holder.

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
Actually there are 2 sections of status in ECAS right, one for Sponsor ship application, and other for Permanent Residence . Where do i check the sponsorship status. Will it even show in ECAS or do you have to link the application in the CIC GC portal to see it?
Under the sponsorship status section it'll say Decision made when you've got SA. You'll need to login to ECAS with the sponsors details, then you'll get a message sent to your linked GCKEY account.

If you're struggling to link it try the below. We've had some success with it:

November 2018 Outland Applicants (Spousal Sponsorship)

Last edited:

hanns

Jan 23, 2017
I got decision made on ecas sponsor side
Application received on November 1. What should I get after that?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
The Person was a PR Holder.
If the person sponsoring was a PR and was outside of Canada during processing, they should count themselves lucky they were not found out as the application should have been rejected. If IRCC gets wind of a PR sponsoring outside of Canada, they have and will refuse the application (and rightfully so).

Reactions: schweisy and JoshC