+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***November 2018*** INLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

camino_walkers

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Everyone is very quiet so I assume no updates or OWP approvals?
Apparently, CIC is currently processing work permits received on Oct 17th, as of today.

Someone on the Oct 2017 Inland thread posted how to check where the queue is at, in terms of processing. You call the CIC number (1-888-242-2100), then select options 1-1-1-3. You need your OWP application number and year of birth for Principal Applicant, and will get an automated reply about which date is now being processed.

mehiep

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
I am telling you exactly what the CRA agent (her name is Janet Avery and she works at the office in Montreal) told my husband and I last week at an information session. She, Janet Avery told us especifically to fill out also form NR74 E -Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada)-

I also called the CRA call center and was given the other form, so I filled out both.

The information session was tailored to evacuate all doubts from newcomers and according to her, you still count as a newcomer even you arrived two years ago.
Hi,

My husband and I are trying to apply for the temporary tax number. Did you have to send in certified copies of the documents (like passport, marriage certificate, etc.)? or just the copies are fine?

Thanks

mehiep

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
No he shouldn't fill form T1261 because that form is for Individual Tax Number which is different to them, I filed that form personally and CRA got confused and it caused so much unnecessary delays and resending papers back and forth
There's no form to fill for temporary tax number (which they should have seriously) so he should write a letter and explain his situation and mention why he doesn't have a SIN yet and yeah he should attach a certified copy of photo ID plus a certified copy of his visitor visa record to let them know his status in Canada
If they need anything else or if he anything is missing they will get back to him by mail
From my experience, you should never confuse CRA ( however they will always confuse you lol)
Hi,
How long did it take to issue the temporary tax number for you?
also, do they need the marriage certificate, etc. ? Thanks!

YvonneP

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Apparently, CIC is currently processing work permits received on Oct 17th, as of today.

Someone on the Oct 2017 Inland thread posted how to check where the queue is at, in terms of processing. You call the CIC number (1-888-242-2100), then select options 1-1-1-3. You need your OWP application number and year of birth for Principal Applicant, and will get an automated reply about which date is now being processed.

camino_walkers

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Guys... I so now CIC will start working on November application for OWP. They approved some of the Oct 30 application yesterday.:)
That’s great news! It seems that they always give the “official” processing dates as the last applications that they are working on from a particular date, rather than the first.

Reactions: Naishard

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
That’s great news! It seems that they always give the “official” processing dates as the last applications that they are working on from a particular date, rather than the first.
Agreed, it's seemed that way. I'm a Oct 26th applicant, but my OWP was approved earlier than a lot of other October people's, on Feb 5. It really all depends on your VO.

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Not sure, I mostly used GCKEY. I only went on ECAS at the end when we were waiting for DM so I wasn't really paying attention to anything but that.
It shows received on ECAS, called the automated call system which is the same as GCKEY and the auto machine said I passed the medical exam.
So for anyone that couldn't link their file and want to know if they passed their medical: It will show on ECAS that your medicals have been received and you can call the automated call system at: 18882422100 options: 1-1-2-3 and you will get to know that you passed

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi,

My husband and I are trying to apply for the temporary tax number. Did you have to send in certified copies of the documents (like passport, marriage certificate, etc.)? or just the copies are fine?

Thanks
You need certified copies of passport of the applicant and certified copy of status in the country( visitor visa/record, student visa, work permit...)

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hi,
How long did it take to issue the temporary tax number for you?
also, do they need the marriage certificate, etc. ? Thanks!
Best thing to do is to apply for a temporary tax number together with tax return and they will process them at the same time. They say it takes 16 weeks for newcomers/first time filing a tax return
You should attach a certified copies of passport and proof of status as I mentioned above
You should attach a letter and state that applicant doesn't have SIN number and can't apply for one and why (due to visitor status for example) and that's why you are applying for temporary tax number
Note: you need to file by paper and send it by mail, you can't file online

mehiep

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
You need certified copies of passport of the applicant and certified copy of status in the country( visitor visa/record, student visa, work permit...)
Thank you! My husband does not have a visitor record he is from visa exempt country and did not have his passport stamped! Do you think a letter of explanation on that would be sufficient?

Reactions: Geno.uss

mehiep

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Best thing to do is to apply for a temporary tax number together with tax return and they will process them at the same time. They say it takes 16 weeks for newcomers/first time filing a tax return
You should attach a certified copies of passport and proof of status as I mentioned above
You should attach a letter and state that applicant doesn't have SIN number and can't apply for one and why (due to visitor status for example) and that's why you are applying for temporary tax number
Note: you need to file by paper and send it by mail, you can't file online
Thanks for the recommendation! I thought we would need the temporary tax number to be able to file the taxes together, as I wanted to declare him as my dependent. What would be put as his SIN ?

Reactions: Geno.uss